S18 Rubbing and Sticking

knell

Was stoked to get my S18, but a few days into riding it was obvious that i was one of the “lucky” ones to get a defective model.

The suspension is rubbing and occasionally sticking, making a horrible grinding noise. I walked to eWheels and they said it is probably the motor mounting. 

After inspecting the mounting, it seems to be the case- the right side looks like it was done very sloppily, with caulk and plastic film residue.

Is there a way to adjust the mounting by removing the pedals and not having to disassemble down to the motor wire?

Why are KingSong and eWheels shipping dangerous wheels? This thing is incredibly wobbly over 10mph, on top of the rubbing and grinding. They definitely did not QC the latest batch properly.

Thanks in advance for any advice 

Let the dealer deal with it, unless you like to work on well designed and poorly assembled stuff (I do). I’d also changeout the tire it’s junk. Until you change your tire your machine will wobble, and bounce. I tried for a couple of months to get a tire that would work on my S-18. I finally found the Pirelli Angel Scooter tire. It’s real tire, not an extra cheap bike tire it’s an all round road tire that is inexpensive, carves nice, and sticks to wet ice and snow. 

www.cyclegear.com 
Pirelli Angel Scooter Tires
FRONT, 80/80-14
Quantity: 1
$29.47

I love the S-18 for all the right reasons. Yes it’s being beta tested by us, but there’s nothing in it’s class that is as well designed. It’s assembled and QC’d by idiots! Of the suspension wheels it’s the easiest to work on. Tire change is pretty straightforward and easily accomplished. 

If you like making things better than new you should look at fbhb’s "S18 Full Strip Down, Suspension Overhaul, Tire Upgrade, Mods and Rebuild - My Personal Comprehensive Account” by fbhb

It’s a great resource, but there are a few thing I’d change like instead of using the button top SS screws. For example I’d opt for a more robust:  

M6 Socket Head Cap Screw A2 Stainless Steel DIN 912
M8 Socket Head Cap Screw A2 Stainless Steel DIN 912
M3 Socket Head Cap Screw A2 Stainless Steel DIN 912  
M3 Flat Washer A2 Stainless Steel  

I had great luck with the Nutty Company at www.nutty.com

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 2:43 PM, knell said:

Was stoked to get my S18, but a few days into riding it was obvious that i was one of the “lucky” ones to get a defective model.

The suspension is rubbing and occasionally sticking, making a horrible grinding noise. I walked to eWheels and they said it is probably the motor mounting. 

After inspecting the mounting, it seems to be the case- the right side looks like it was done very sloppily, with caulk and plastic film residue.

Is there a way to adjust the mounting by removing the pedals and not having to disassemble down to the motor wire?

Why are KingSong and eWheels shipping dangerous wheels? This thing is incredibly wobbly over 10mph, on top of the rubbing and grinding. They definitely did not QC the latest batch properly.

Thanks in advance for any advice 

Is this from the NEW batch that just arrived in the US about a week ago?  They were supposed to have fixed all this QC shit when they delayed the batch by a few months.  What the hell were they doing if not actually QCing?

12 hours ago, Mac said:

It’s a great resource, but there are a few thing I’d change like instead of using the button top SS screws. For example I’d opt for a more robust:  

M6 Socket Head Cap Screw A2 Stainless Steel DIN 912
M8 Socket Head Cap Screw A2 Stainless Steel DIN 912
M3 Socket Head Cap Screw A2 Stainless Steel DIN 912  
M3 Flat Washer A2 Stainless Steel

Just for clarification (as there seems to be some confusion with @Mac's comments), Socket Head cap screws were Actually used in every single location other than the attachment of the fender/motor cable cover, where the wider head of Button Head socket cap screws help provide a similar diameter to King Song's original flanged Phillips screws! 

My Full list of fasteners and their locations was provided in the text, but I will also quote it again for you here:

Axle Clamps = 8 Socket Cap screws M8x30 

Pedal Hanger = 8 Socket Cap screws M6x20

Pedal Springs = 4 Pan Head Phillips screws M3x8

Front Body Work panels = 10 Socket Cap screws M3x8

Front Battery Top Mount = 8 Socket Cap screws M5x12

Battery Packs = 32 Socket Cap screws M3x16

Battery Holder = 8 Socket Cap screws M3x12

Motor Cable Top cover = 4 Button Head Socket Cap screws M3x8

Fender Mount = 8 Button Head Socket Cap screws M3x12

Fender Rear Section = 8 CSK Socket Cap screws M3x5

Fender Joint = 6 Socket Cap screws M3x8

PLEASE NOTE: 12 Self tapping screws were used by King Song for the motor cable housing and 4 self tapping screws were used for the control board housing. Care needs to be taken if replacing these with stainless, as I found it very difficult to source the exact same size/thread in order to prevent stripping out the original plastic holes!

126131941_2777842095772085_3757966308993125308745_2775791532643808_5391929191332

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1