Is this a safe board?

Josh

I really want to buy a hoverboard for Christmas but I have heard that a lot of brands don't use safe batteries and result in the board catching fire. I have done research for almost days trying to find a safe board to get. The 1 im looking at currently has a 36V,4.4ah Samsung Li-ion battery. Can someone please tell me if thats a safe battery and it for sure wont catch on fire? Thanks!

:) 

They all burn if a battery cell fails. But it's like asking "will my lawn mower catch fire?" Most of the time it won't but there's always a slight chance of a fuel leak and fire. You just have to treat it as you would a combustion engine item like a lawnmower or a small petrol powered scooter. 

1 minute ago, lizardmech said:

They all burn if a battery cell fails. But it's like asking "will my lawn mower catch fire?" Most of the time it won't but there's always a slight chance of a fuel leak and fire. You just have to treat it as you would a combustion engine item like a lawnmower or a small petrol powered scooter. 

Ok thanks but what do you mean treat it like a combustion engine? Like am I not safe to go down curbs with it because I've seen people do it on youtube.

Just now, Josh said:

Ok thanks but what do you mean treat it like a combustion engine? Like am I not safe to go down curbs with it because I've seen people do it on youtube.

I mean always consider it a potential fire hazard, no one would fill up their car with fuel unattended while taking a nap but they will charge their hoverboard in their lounge room while they're asleep. 99.99% if the time a hoverboard won't catch fire but you shouldn't charge it or use it anywhere where a small fire would be deadly or destroy your home.

@Josh, it's hard to answer that question because even good brand name batteries are a fire risk in some situations: puncture, overcharge, excessive discharge.

I figured this is as good a place as any to post the email I got from Amazon after purchasing an IPS Xima Lhotz via them:

#####

Hello 

We're contacting you about order FBA 30kph 19.9kph 340wh/260wh 16 Inch Self Balancing Electric Unicycle Scooter Electric One Wheel Scooter Monocycle. 

There have been recent news reports of safety issues involving products like the one you purchased that contain rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. As a precaution, we want to share some additional information about lithium-ion batteries and safety tips for using products that contain them. Please follow the link below for the information and safety tips: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201976530 

If you’d rather not keep the product, please contact Customer Service to initiate a return: 

https://www.amazon.com/contact-us/ 

If you purchased this item for someone else, please pass along this information to the recipient. 

We hope to see you again soon. 

Sincerely, 

Customer Service 
Amazon.com

Please note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

####

I'm keeping the Lhotz: that's my son's whip when we roll together!

Just now, lizardmech said:

I mean always consider it a potential fire hazard, no one would fill up their car with fuel unattended while taking a nap but they will charge their hoverboard in their lounge room while they're asleep. 99.99% if the time a hoverboard won't catch fire but you shouldn't charge it or use it anywhere where a small fire would be deadly or destroy your home.

Of course. But there are no for sure no batteries that will 100% not catch fire right?

1 minute ago, Villac said:

@Josh, it's hard to answer that question because even good brand name batteries are a fire risk in some situations: puncture, overcharge, excessive discharge.

I figured this is as good a place as any to post the email I got from Amazon after purchasing an IPS Xima Lhotz via them:

#####

Hello 

We're contacting you about order FBA 30kph 19.9kph 340wh/260wh 16 Inch Self Balancing Electric Unicycle Scooter Electric One Wheel Scooter Monocycle. 

There have been recent news reports of safety issues involving products like the one you purchased that contain rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. As a precaution, we want to share some additional information about lithium-ion batteries and safety tips for using products that contain them. Please follow the link below for the information and safety tips: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201976530 

If you’d rather not keep the product, please contact Customer Service to initiate a return: 

https://www.amazon.com/contact-us/ 

If you purchased this item for someone else, please pass along this information to the recipient. 

We hope to see you again soon. 

Sincerely, 

Customer Service 
Amazon.com

Please note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

####

I'm keeping the Lhotz: that's my son's whip when we roll together!

Awesome thanks! :) 

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

Of course. But there are no for sure no batteries that will 100% not catch fire right?

Awesome thanks! :) 

Pretty much, Apple products burst into flames from time to time. Hoverboards and ebikes just have much bigger batteries so you have to take care. They could improve the design and put the batteries in a fireproof case but I haven't seen any hoverboard with that yet.

2 minutes ago, lizardmech said:

Pretty much, Apple products burst into flames from time to time. Hoverboards and ebikes just have much bigger batteries so you have to take care. They could improve the design and put the batteries in a fireproof case but I haven't seen any hoverboard with that yet.

So if I just dont bang it too hard and dont over charge it/ monitor its charging time I should be good right? Because reports have been saying that some people were just riding them and they caught on fire.

26 minutes ago, Josh said:

So if I just dont bang it too hard and dont over charge it/ monitor its charging time I should be good right? Because reports have been saying that some people were just riding them and they caught on fire.

It's difficult to know what is causing the fires. They could have had cheap imitation batteries that were prone to failure, poorly designed battery management circuits, chargers that over charge them. The thing is the cell can be damaged but then still take a few uses before it bursts into flames. Until a large company starts making battery units specifically for hoverboards and unicycles it's very difficult to know for sure without dismantling the pack to examine it. 

I admit i sell hoverboards and will refrain from any shameless plugs but I just would like to offer some insight into the exploding batteries. I've sold over 100-120 hoverboards to date. I have never had a battery explode so far. Hopefully I don't experience it either. I charge all of my boards before I sell them. I test drive them indoors and if they are bluetooth equipped i will connect to bluetooth also. I never charge unattended. I always purchase Samsung battery with my boards. I pay the extra money for the quality and transfer the quality to my customers with no issues. Often i am approached by a customer saying my prices are "TOO HIGH" but in reality unless you are a chinese manufacturer or distibutor I always have the best price. Customers are quick to say "Billy Bob sells them for 200USD" or "Amazon has then for 150USD" and everytime my response is the same... If they have them for such a better deal why are you attempting to barter with me. Hoverboard consumers don't want to pay for quality goods but these are the same individuals who have the industry, media and the Internet in a frenzy about exploding batteries. Now I am not naive, some consumers were legitimately ignorant to the industry and were duped into buying an inferior product but I would have to take an educated guess and say the majority issues come from those who based their decision solely on the cheapest price. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying charging over a grand for a hoverboard but there has to be a happy medium.

@RalphPourin - Thanks for your informative post!

As a vendor, does that mean it is within your ability to choose the battery you attach to the boards? That's very interesting because, for example, if I by a Ninebot One, Ninebot itself is pairing the battery with the device and selling the combination under the "protection" of its brand reputation.

If a hoverboard can be sold with a vendor's choice of battery, does that mean your hoverboards are unbranded? Because I can't imagine a strong brand allowing vendors choosing batteries for them. In any case, it seems a poor market if a customer has to somehow distinguish between reputable vendors who buy proper batteries (and chargers) versus those that don't.

What do you think? Isn't it harder to maintain *your* reputation as a vendor when that choice exists, vs a properly branded product where you can throw the quality/cost decision onto the branded manufacturer?

Yes in my experience I've always had a choice in which battery I elect for the boards I purchase.  Samsung is the premium, followed by LG, then apparently there are 3 tiers of Chinese batteries to choose from.  Just as you are able to choose your battery some manufacturers even give you the option of quality i.e. high quality, medium and low quality.  Those looking to maximize profits without regard to customer service obviously choose the latter.

Yes all of the hoverboards I purchase are unbranded.  But as mentioned in previous post, there are some quality unbranded hoverboards.  All I have is my reputation so if I have an issue with a board I rectify it regardless of the support offered from the manufacturer.  I've had manufacturers sell me 20 boards with the promise of a warranty and once I had issues with 12 out of 20 of them I was force to take it on the chin.  That was my first 20 and could have easily tanked my endeavor but because of my customer service and good karma.  I was able to persevere and I'm still here.

As far as maintaining my reputation as a vendor, I look at it like this.  Everyone starts out with a neutral reputation, over time it will be your interactions and the way you handle situations that will determine whether that reputation is good or bad. I don't overly advertise, I don't bash brands, I give it to the consumer straight and if they choose to buy, I help them make a purchase that they are satisfied with. So word of mouth is the way I maintain a positive reputation and constant referrals. 

12 hours ago, RalphPourin said:

I admit i sell hoverboards and will refrain from any shameless plugs but I just would like to offer some insight into the exploding batteries. I've sold over 100-120 hoverboards to date. I have never had a battery explode so far. Hopefully I don't experience it either. I charge all of my boards before I sell them. I test drive them indoors and if they are bluetooth equipped i will connect to bluetooth also. I never charge unattended. I always purchase Samsung battery with my boards. I pay the extra money for the quality and transfer the quality to my customers with no issues. Often i am approached by a customer saying my prices are "TOO HIGH" but in reality unless you are a chinese manufacturer or distibutor I always have the best price. Customers are quick to say "Billy Bob sells them for 200USD" or "Amazon has then for 150USD" and everytime my response is the same... If they have them for such a better deal why are you attempting to barter with me. Hoverboard consumers don't want to pay for quality goods but these are the same individuals who have the industry, media and the Internet in a frenzy about exploding batteries. Now I am not naive, some consumers were legitimately ignorant to the industry and were duped into buying an inferior product but I would have to take an educated guess and say the majority issues come from those who based their decision solely on the cheapest price. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying charging over a grand for a hoverboard but there has to be a happy medium.

Can you send me the link on where I can buy them at jemberland101@gmail.com? 

:) 

I ordered a hoverboard360 for my son for Christmas. Now I'm very concerned. How can I tell what type battery is in it? The website says it only uses Samsung or LG but reviews are making me wary. I'd like to be able to see what type of battery-preferably now while I can return it and order one I feel certain about!  

You'd need to open up the unit, pull out the battery pack, and remove the outer wrapper, at least partially, to see the individual cells. The complication is that the Chinese manufacturers know the batteries from LG, Sony, and Samsung are considered higher quality, so sometimes the fly-by-night manufacturers make counterfeits with those names on them. You have to look pretty carefully to detect the fakes. http://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-wholesale-battery-reviews/30828867-is-it-a-fake-18650-battery-featuring-the-samsung-25r

Archived