The way of EUC riding?

MikieSWE

Lol. Cool post. I like it

Yeah true EUCs look like something out of this world. If we saw an EUC in a movie in the year 2000 we would have definitely thought that it's being done with CGI/special effects.

And the way they can spin on a dime head in the other direction then accelerate like a rocket in 1 swift move makes them look all the more amazing.

I fully agree. Slow down for any person and any dog on shared paths. I do this every time and actually slow down to a brisk walking pace. I don't mind because I love braking and accelerating and the people are always happy that I slowed down so much.
Another thing I always do when possible is to veer off the bike path onto the grass or dirt so that I can pass pedestrians without going anywhere near them. This is also super fun so I don't mind at all. And pedestrians like this too. They always look at me go by with a huge smile.

I think they find it amazing that this 1 wheeled device can so effortlessly go off road at speed when you never even see bikes doing that.

• Like 2

Funny that you've got the mten3, ks16x and Sherman.

I've got the ks16x and a Sherman, and was thinking that my next EUC would be an mten3

But not so sure if I should get it because of safety. Since I'm used to riding these powerhouses, if I get on a tiny little mten3 I'm likely to overlean and hurt myself.

What do you think?

Did you get the mten3 as your fist EUC? Or did you buy it AFTER learning on the bigger EUCs? Please tell me in which chronological order you purchased your EUCs.

I've taught a few of my friends and to ride EUCs, so I guess I'm doing my part in promoting EUCs among locals. Most of them did not end up getting their own EUCs though, mostly due to financial reasons. EUCs are not cheap, and it's difficult to realise that it's actually worth it until you've ridden for a few hundred kilometers, so it takes kind of a leap of faith to get your first EUC. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 2:52 PM, UniGrad said:

Funny that you've got the mten3, ks16x and Sherman.

I've got the ks16x and a Sherman, and was thinking that my next EUC would be an mten3

But not so sure if I should get it because of safety. Since I'm used to riding these powerhouses, if I get on a tiny little mten3 I'm likely to overlean and hurt myself.

What do you think?

Did you get the mten3 as your fist EUC? Or did you buy it AFTER learning on the bigger EUCs? Please tell me in which chronological order you purchased your EUCs.

The Mten3 isn’t anything like the hotrods you’ve been riding. You won’t be tempted to over lean it. It’s a totally different experience. It’s just fun - like a double kick skateboard compared to a longboard. “If yer a skater” or Skiing to Boarding, Trials compared to Moto-x, or a Pitts compared to a Mooney or a Ballet to a Rock concert. 

Speed isn’t generally part of the equation, they are just fun to ride! Although they have a lot of torque, and are pretty quick for their size!

I wanted something that I could take with me in my plane, where weight and size are factors. It’s perfect for days when the tower has you tied a mile away from the terminal!

• Like 1

Respect

Thanks for that answer. Would be good if the OP could respond since he's got the exact same wheels as me.

But based on your answer I'm tempted to get it. Just not sure how much I'd use it since it's got no trolley handle so although it's light it would still be more annoying for errands than even the sherman. And I don't fly often so it would be PURELY 100% a recreational wheel. So it better be good at that.

19 hours ago, Mac said:

The Mten3 isn’t anything like the hotrods you’ve been riding. You won’t be tempted to over lean it. It’s a totally different experience. It’s just fun - like a double kick skateboard compared to a longboard. “If yer a skater” or Skiing to Boarding, Trials compared to Moto-x, or a Pitts compared to a Mooney or a Ballet to a Rock concert. 

Speed isn’t generally part of the equation, they are just fun to ride! Although they have a lot of torque, and are pretty quick for their size!

I wanted something that I could take with me in my plane, where weight and size are factors. It’s perfect for days when the tower has you tied a mile away from the terminal!

Respect

Thanks for that awesome answer. Would be cool if OP could respond since he's got the exact same wheels as me.

But based on your answer I'm tempted to get it. Just not sure how much I'd use it since it's got no trolley handle so although it's light it would still be more annoying for errands than even the sherman. And I don't fly often so it would be PURELY 100% a recreational wheel.

My riding starts by researching on Google maps.  In my city, Google have bike lane over lay by green lines.  I slowly estimate my range and choose a region that I can reach to explore.  I go out without a schedule but to keep safe and develop a mental register of what these paths feel like.  Not all roads are clearly marked and have their deficiencies. Over days, weeks and months, I have registered paths that can get me to major areas that are decent commutes otherwise. Public planners have taken bicycle safety and accessibility in mind when they design these public paths.  It is a blessing to be able to use these and have a change of scenery from the average commute.  

YouTube is full of look at me culture.  It is entertaining to watch but it is not how most of the world's attitudes are with regards to PEV on public spaces.  If everyone were on these things weaving in and out of traffic, on the sidewalks, riding too fast on bike lanes and not following the rules.... they will be banned. Our $2000 wheels will be portable cell phone chargers. 

I agree with you that its super important to win over public perception of these devices , otherwise, we don't stand a chance at legalizing. As people see these on the roads, there will be more and more riders and then it will become a problem when accidents start to occur.  When there's more accidents and complaints, that's when public resources (police, bylaws) will be sent to change the public behaviour.  

Hopefully there is a group of enthusiasts working with industry and the public sector to get these legalized.  Every casual rider has a responsibility to be accountable if they are using public infrastructure.  Try to follow the rules when there's traffic. Everyone has equal access to the public space.  Be courteous and remember it is a privilege to be out there. Only ride limits when you can clearly see what is ahead of you.  Right of way is for pedestrians. Stop and dismount for them because it is quite unnerving to know what your riding ability is at sneaking past.  Cover up your blinking lights that blind them.  If approaching intersections and you are not part of the traffic, I would dismount because it is confusing for drivers who are training to watch for public traffic lanes and not anticipate 30kmh PEV on the sidewalk.  If you are going passed 15kmh on a sidewalk, you are responsible to yield to "legal" traffic and dismount to make your intentions clear.  

From what I see, the trend is growing and 2021 will see a doubling of EUC riders.  Hopefully, the public planners will embrace the movement.  

• Like 1

In my area PEVs are encouraged, we even have partial closures of certain areas where motor driven vehicles are banned to encourage PEV’s and bikes. Like you I’m hoping that we as a group can tone down the need for speed that seems to draw hits online.

On another note I’ve watched riders pushing their limits and face planting while their 70# missile runs out of control into oncoming traffic or into a parked car. When one of these seriously hurts or kills someone we are all screwed!

Is tethering a part of the answer? Should that be part of our safety gear to protects others? A few years ago you were looked at as kind of a wimp if you had safety gear on. Now when you see someone with out any gear we dismiss them as naive. Peer pressure works, when common sense fails. It’s one thing to take your own safety for granted, but should we put others at risk while enjoying our sport? Safe and courteous riding aside, knowing that you have hurt someone else while enjoying the sport you love would stay with you for a long time. 

3 hours ago, Mac said:

On another note I’ve watched riders pushing their limits and face planting while their 70# missile runs out of control into oncoming traffic or into a parked car. When one of these seriously hurts or kills someone we are all screwed!

Is tethering a part of the answer? Should that be part of our safety gear to protects others?

I agree with what you're saying. And let me start by just saying that I fully believe in being super careful around pedestrians. I ALWAYS slow right down to a slow jogging pace around pedestrians. And whenever possible I veer off the bike path onto the grass/dirt to completely avoid going near pedestrians. It's so fun to do this on an EUC so it's a win win. Slowing down and accelerating is also super fun on an EUC so I don't mind doing it EVERY time. This ain't so for bikes which is why the bike dude will always be rubbing shoulders with pedestrians.....................................at 40km/h :facepalm:

Okay so........an EUC moving at speed is definitely dangerous. Riding them poses a risk to EVERYONE that you encounter on your journey.

But IMO this risk is on the same level or well below the type of risks that EVERYONE has already accepted as a society.

For example. A carbon fibre speed bicycle moving at 50km/h is potentially just as dangerous as an EUC. As a matter of fact. Where I live these lycra cyclists get to over 90km/h on the steeper downhill sections. And these bikes are not very stable at speed due to the super thin tyres. This is real dangerous IMO.

Then there's cars. Things so utterly destructive that if and when a driver makes a mistake they are capable of demolishing your house and killing your entire family as you're eating dinner in the privacy of your own home. Now that's a hardcore consequence. So hardcore it sounds like fiction. But it's the reality of the risk. We accept this crazy risk and the consequence it inevitably brings.
I'm not saying I thing it's a good thing. I actually think it's insane. Plus many drivers are doped up on pills and that's just "normal".

Then there's 50 ton trucks moving at over 100km/h. Capable of destroying a whole neighborhood. Yet we accept that risk too.

The consequence of the out of control EUC is absolutely dwarfed by these other vehicles on the road.
And if you have someone riding their EUC instead of driving their car it's probably a good thing. As long as the rider is responsible.

But the thing is there will ALWAYS be the reckless ones that ride their EUCs like idiots. And we will NEVER be able to stop this. We can just encourage safe riding.

I think that as a society we need to start being more logical and put things on an even playing field. Just because EUCs are new does that mean we have to be completely biased and unfair when analyzing the risks involved?

And let me finish by saying that..............yes I understand that society is not logical and we should encourage safe riding as much as possible.