V11 dead soon after arrival

JBinBalt

Hello.  I received my V11 today.  After unpacking I went through the various setup routines...

- Activated and took out of shipping mode
- Upgraded the firmware
- Adjusted the air in the upper/lower chambers
- Adjusted tire pressure
- Plugged in an charged

I took it outside and hopped on.  I'd gone about 15 feet when there was a popping sound and it cut off.  Fortunately I was barely moving so both the wheel and I avoided the ground.  Now it won't turn on and it is completely unresponsive when hitting the power button.  I also noticed that it seems to have a lot of resistance to rolling.

I'll get in touch with my dealer, but I'm wondering if anyone has run into this one before.  So bummed I can't ride this thing today!

Thanks.

Edited by JBinBalt

1 minute ago, h3X said:

That rolling resistance (or cogging) is a sign of shorted phase wires. Which likely means a mosfet has catastrophically failed.

Had a bad feeling it might be something like that, especially with the popping sound.  Thank you.

jbinbalt: that popping sound could be the explosion of a capacitor or even a mosfet...
I suggest sending your wheel to the seller immediately.

What I will do: ask for full refund and wait for 2021

Edited by Meserias
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Meserias said:

jbinbalt: that popping sound could be the explosion of a capacitor or even a mosfet...
I suggest sending your wheel to the seller immediately.

What I will do: ask for full refund and wait for 2021

Thank you.  I've definitely considered that option, including waiting for an EX, but I really wanted the V11.  I'd really like to have suspension, top speed isn't that important to me and I ride at night often (so I like the headlight).   I've contacted the distributor here in the US and we'll see how they want to handle it. 

On 11/24/2020 at 9:29 PM, Ronin Ryder said:

U got feedback? 

Yeah, here's what happened.  Apologies to anyone reading this a second time.  I was also discussing this on a different thread and posted it there also....

"They've actually been very good about it.  Initially they were initially going to take it back and repair it for me, and they sent me a pre-paid shipping label .  However, I'm in Baltimore, so they pivoted and asked me to send it to to someone in Philly who does work for them.  It's closer, and I'm sure cheaper to ship.  When I realized that was an option, I asked if it could be repaired at AMP in DC (https://ampcollectivedc.com/) since that's even closer to me and I go to DC often.  I've bought wheels from AMP, but they don't sell InMotion.  EUCO and AMP worked it out and I'll be taking it there.  The only issue that they have no replacement boards in stock, so I'll have to wait a few weeks for that.

All things considered, I'm pretty happy with how they handled it.  They would have covered my shipping if necessary.  However, keep in mind that mine quit almost immediately of the box on same the day I received it.  If this had happened after a few days, weeks or months of active riding they might have required me to pay shipping per their policy."