Do you wear wristguards at "high" speed?

• 1 month later...

Flexmeters ftw! I dont wear em, but they sure seem like they'd work and they sure look purdy on my shelf. Much more comfy and probably more protective than a lot of the other crap in my 'gear' pile. Of course, gathering dust means they are about as useless as the rest of my pile as well :)

Just switched from my Ennui City Brace to the Flexmeters.   The Ennui's were amazing don't get me wrong. It was rigid, snug, secure and extremely comfortable (never felt more safe wearing wrist guards) but the lack of a skid puck concerned me.  It had a leather palm covering a metal brace underneath and at the mere touch of asphalt the leather would scuff or shred so you can only imagine what a high speed fall would do to them.  Zen's video above highlights just how much you need some sort of skid puck on your wrist guards.  So far I'm liking the Flexmeters. Takes up a lot of arm real estate though and had to take off the band of my EUC watch and Velcro the watch directly to the Flexmeters. 

Early days but will see how I go with the Flexmeters and maybe make a skid puck for my Ennui's in the near future 'cause I love them so much despite the leather palms.

145447165_10158974282572629_343037373858

Edited by Kamikaze_K
Merging double post into one.

5 hours ago, Kamikaze_K said:

Soz... was meant to add this pick of my Flexmeter watch Velcro job but accidentally pressed "Submit Reply" instead of "Insert image..." (mods, anyway of combining two?)

145447165_10158974282572629_343037373858

top right corner of your post has 3 dots... "edit" is in there.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kamikaze_K said:

Ah righto, thanks mate.  

That option wasn't there for me at the time as I still needed Mod approval for my posts since I was (and still am) new to this forum.  All edited and done. 

Thanks again! 

No worries. I try to 'like' posts that are from new guys. You obviously aint a bot. Fwiw, Im VERY picky about my gear. When I do choose to wear it, it HAS to be comfortable and offer enough protection to be worth it. The flexmeters are both. Not a fan of how warm they are, but they are comfy. I dont like that they leave my fingers exposed and I havent sorted the 'glove thing' out, but I smoke anyhow. Good purchase on the FM's, they always coe reccomended around here. Mine have pucks on them, and d30. Im sure theyll assist in a slide and first point of impact.

• Like 1

Just caught this thread. Answer to the tag is & will always be...why wouldn't you wear wrist guards whether at high speed or any speed for that matter. Its protective gear for the palms if not for the wrists

I took my S18 out a week+ back on a warmer (if one can call +5c warm) Sun ride & it was fun. Great to be outside no matter. However some of the paths were wet with lingering black ice. Needless to say, I ate it on some black ice after doing a 120 blind turn & luckily I didn't get hurt at all.

When I got home, I saw my wrist guards (worn over cycling gloves) was scrapped up more than I thought & this was at a very slow speed. This damage woulda been taken by my palm/wrist otherwise. Perhaps the end result without the guards would be similar but I was sure glad I didn't have to find out the hard & painful way.

IOW always wear gear. Unless one's a masochist😜

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

No worries. I try to 'like' posts that are from new guys. You obviously aint a bot. Fwiw, Im VERY picky about my gear. When I do choose to wear it, it HAS to be comfortable and offer enough protection to be worth it. The flexmeters are both. Not a fan of how warm they are, but they are comfy. I dont like that they leave my fingers exposed and I havent sorted the 'glove thing' out, but I smoke anyhow. Good purchase on the FM's, they always coe reccomended around here. Mine have pucks on them, and d30. Im sure theyll assist in a slide and first point of impact.

Well I appreciate the newbie welcome 'likes'! :) 

Yeah I got onto them from reading threads about wrist guards.  I'm always on the hunt for the perfect gear and so far I'm liking the FMs.  I still personally prefer my Ennui's as they fit so nicely and securely (and the smaller length meant I could also wear my watch high on my arm instead of having to Macguyer it onto the guards themselves).  I'll look into seeing that I can do about making a puck for them to put over the leather palms.  Again, it's early days with the FMs so I'm sure I'll get to like them more as I get used to them.  They do allow for more wrist movement than the Ennui's but that's intentional on the FMs design.  It hasn't been too warm for me so far but the summer here in Sydney this year has been reasonably mild with only a string of days where it was sweat worthy hot.  As for finger coverage, I'm hoping I can fit a pair of Mechanix gloves under during winter months.  I'll give the GyroRiderz gloves a go but will keep the glove under FMs option open.  

24 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

IOW always wear gear. Unless one's a masochist😜

hahah When I was younger I never really gravitated to protective gear when riding or skating but after a bad fall that nearly cost me a job, I started to think differently.  Plus mending a bone back together again is never fun.  Crap's gonna happen no matter what, you can't control these things.  What I can control, like wearing gear to minimise damage during crappy situations, I'll 100% do.  I don't batman body armour up like a few riders here do, for me it's the crucial bits like wrists, knees and head/face that I'll always protect with gear no matter what speed or distance I'm embarking on that particular day. 

2 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

Just caught this thread. Answer to the tag is & will always be...why wouldn't you wear wrist guards whether at high speed or any speed for that matter. Its protective gear for the palms if not for the wrists

Cost, comfort, bulk, time. Any good argument must recognize there is typically more than one reason for and against :)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Cost, comfort, bulk, time. Any good argument must recognize there is typically more than one reason for and against :)

Not questioning others motive or reasoning at all. While some might find it zen like putting on gear, personally I find the whole ritual a big time consuming energy zapping buzzkill. I didn't think about the cost of gear before but now that I am, personally I find it sorta ridiculously to spend $1-3k for a wheel & then quibble about the coupla hundos to cheap out on protection. 

No argument from me on comfort (or lack thereof) as nothing beats natural A/C wheeling in the birthday suit in sunny 90+ humidity. And then I think about the damage to the junk when it hits asphalt or worse, a rock if (or perhaps when is a better word) I eat it. & that's not taking into account the roadrash induced blood & gore.

Maybe I'm simple minded but I tend to only consider one criteria - the fun2pain ratio. I aim for as high a number as possible & will give up on the sport if the numbers creeps low. When its in the negatives, I run to the lazyboy, crack a beer & watch it on TV instead. Def more fun that way.

As usual, its a YMMV thangy.

• Like 1