Do you wear wristguards at "high" speed?

Chooch mentions he doesn't wear wristguards.

I'm guessing because it's not wise to absorb a high speed fall with outstretched arms and on your wrists anyways, since you may easily break your wrists on direct impact or the impact my go up and break your collar bone. 

Seems like wristguards are crucial at low speeds or doing tricks, but at high speeds you may be better off wearing gloves with some sliding upper body protection (elbow pads, chest protector and/or leather jacket) and try to roll or spread the impact over you entire body. I realize this is easier said than done since it may be impossible to react fast enough. 

Context for this post: I wear a motorcycle jacket with embedded pads on the the elbows, shoulders, and back, and it's hard to fit wrist guards (FlexMeter DO3s) underneath it. Even if I fit them underneath the jacket, my fingers are exposed to abrasions and cold, so I'm thinking it may be better to just avoid the risk guards and wear heavy duty gloves. 

What do you think?

• Like 1

I personaly use this: Ennui-Urban-Glove.jpg

Ennui urban glove have great mix practicality(you can eat burger) airflow and protection.

If you looking for winter version find some snowboard gloves what you like.

Wear wrist guards VS moto/bike gloves i think is about weight cooch is lightweight and immortal "young" guy.

For riders who is normal or heavy weight i recomended wristguard definetly becasue more weight more energy what wrist need absorb in case fall. 

Cheap solution is cheap wristguard and use standard gloves over wristguard (work gloves or bike/motocross gloves )

High speed crash propably destroy you shoulder/collar focus on this.

Many riders have shoulder problems after fall EUC/ bike /onewheel /e-skate / snowboard etc.

Another look is ride only asphalth if yes focus on sliding. Ride mix terain  focus on strong protection and more layers protection becasue sliding not work good on MTB track in woods.

Good luck 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rogueone said:

2. Here's another video of a fantastic rider (dated 9/30/2020) doing some crazy single track riding with just a helmet and wrist guards. You can fast forward to 14:40 where he falls off several times (bloopers). 

https://youtu.be/MvKFFSVhXXM

That guy definitely knows his stuff. He takes the initial impact on his hands and then transfers to his should/back and rolls/slides it out. One of the worst types of falls is the one at the end. When you are standing relaxed and hit an invisible stump, this shifts the wheel and you get teleported to the ground. Still he fell into a push-up and then rolled it out at the very end to avoid bearing it all on his chest or chin.

Out of our 50 riders in the group none have hurt their wrists except for me and that was at very low speed. I stretched out my left hand to catch myself. Scaphoid protection would have helped. Wrist guards would probably have caused me to transfer everything to the elbow. It was not a terrible injury and took a couple of weeks to heal.

3 have broken collarbones though. Most riders in the group wear gloves. Maybe two riders use wrist protection.

One day I am going to get some of the riders and ask them to fall and tumble a bit... perhaps at a soccer field with some nice cushy grass. It will be interesting to see how willing they are to fall at even jogging speeds. The question sort of becomes... if I was jogging and wearing gear and someone kicked my legs out from under me... would I prefer wrist guards or plain gloves or gloves with scaphoid protection or something like the flatland 3D.

I am not saying to go out and do a bunch of ninja training.. but perhaps demystifying the whole falling thing by actually doing it in controlled circumstances. Otherwise we will end up learning with broken collarbones. Our fastest riders are a bit slower now... shocker...

• Like 3

I use wristguards in summer and GyroRiderz gloves with built in sliders in winter.
If I would only wear one item of gear while riding it would be a wristguard.

But my usual set-up is wristguards, helmet and knee/shin pads. Just casual t-shirt and trousers for the rest. I don't tend to go faster than 40 km/h though. 

• Like 2

I'm finding it interesting that there are everyday wrist guards that have the hard plating on the top and bottom of the wrist, and then there are some gloves that appear to only have the plating on the top of the wrist like these ones:

EVS Wrister Gloves

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/evs-wrister-gloves

Flatland 3D gloves (mentioned by Chooch)

https://flatland3d.com/shop/all-products/all-e-skate-accessories/fingerless-pro-e-skate-glove/

5 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I am not saying to go out and do a bunch of ninja training.. but perhaps demystifying the whole falling thing by actually doing it in controlled circumstances. Otherwise we will end up learning with broken collarbones. Our fastest riders are a bit slower now... shocker...

Ninja training would be awesome. When I think about controlled falling from other disciplines I think of Jiujitsu, Judo, Aikido ukemi, gymnastics, or circus tumbling (with the convenience of practicing on pads). I've taken a few Jiujitsu classes, but stopped because the constant rolling forward and backward exercises left me very dizzy.

The way I imagine controlled falling in my head is trying to either spread the force of the impact over a wider surface like falling on your side vs trying to catch one's self on one arm. Or rolling vs trying to meet force with force (which I think the OP was alluding to). In any case, I'm sure if I asked a Jiujitsu guy how to fall safely while wearing roller skates he or she might be like, "Hmmm...go slow and don't wear roller skates lol."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rogueone said:

I'm sure if I asked a Jiujitsu guy how to fall safely while wearing roller skates he or she might be like, "Hmmm...go slow and don't wear roller skates lol."

:roflmao:

That is definitely one of the things experience teaches us haha. Sort of the same thing when learning knife combat. If possible... run.

The good thing about learning how to fall is that we also learn how not to fall. I guess with enough practice we would be able to get rid of some bad habits like trying to land in a plank. Then we might look at our weight as well... and see if it would be nicer to fall without carrying an extra 50 pounds of weight. Although I do love me some donuts. Maybe add some working out into the mix... build some muscles.. build stronger bones even. Proper diet. AND get wrist guards. :D

EUC survival lifestyle. 

• Like 1

I am of the camp that thinks wrist guards work best in slow falls where downward force is the biggest enemy. ALL of my broken wrist accidents have been at nearly ZERO forward speed. When moving, its not wise to try and use the hands and wrist to stop anything. Usually they are meraely to help assist in turning a plank fall into a roll. I took Judo for about 5 years as a younger lad. I didnt learn much, but I DID learn to run at full speed and dive over 10 people, only to land in a roll posture. I took this knowledge and used it as a kid to dive fences in parks, jump off the back of bicycles at downhill top speed and basic young boy mayhem. I like to think that it was traininig, tho I didnt realize it at the time. Since then, I have gotten in MANY motorcross and skateboard accidents and flown like superman many times. Man is it fun to fly OFF a motorcycle at 40mph in the woods! The final impact isnt so great, but that flying up until... priceless! Most wrist injury on a motorcycle was due to shock of the handlebars rather than initial ground impact. I do know that the outside edge of my feet take a brutal beating during a higher speed roll fall. Unfortunately, Judo taught me to roll it out but the end of the energy finds itself at the outter foot edge. On judo mats it wasnt a big deal and it stopped the roll. On harder pavement, it simply bashes the hell outta the foot. Knock on wood, I have yet to suffer facial injury or broken any collar bones. I assume its a matter of time before a collar bone breaks. I like to think that in a roll type speed fall, the back protector is going to take the most impact, right after the shoulderblade gets tucked under. Or maybe i just dont know ANY of this and really need someone to tell me how gear works and that injury is likely..:blink:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

Wristguards have several functions. Not all of them have all functions. BUT.... for me the wristguard can:

• Cushion the impact protecting the hand itself (not wrist) from impact damage.
  • Protecting the wrist from bending back or forward to much (stiffening, strenghten the wrist)
  • Slider. Protect your skin from long asphalt slides. Sure leather can do this, but a piece of plastic do it better.

For me the cushion and sliding part is more important than the stiffening. And these two functions also apply in high speed situations, even more than slow speed. On slow speed I can agree that the siffening function is more important.

Edited by zeroSIXzero
  • Like 2

In most cases the fall off an EUC is forwards. The problem with that: Your hands are the first part of Your body having contact with the floor. Just then You can convert that frontal movement into a rolling one. Falling from a bike or motorcycle can be easier, because You can start that rolling movement with leaving the handlebars - IMO.

Our wrists are the weakest part absorbing the initial contact. So with transferring the impact towards the elbow You can bear a harder impact - until Your collar bone / shoulder... cannot stand it any more.

I think it is important to have wristguards that are flexible enough to introduce the rolling movement and protecting Your wrist at the same time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 3:44 AM, postbio said:

Chooch mentions he doesn't wear wristguards.

Yeah he does - I asked him about why he wasn't wearing them for a few of his videos and he said "been on the hunt for some that I like for a very long time"

On 10/15/2020 at 3:44 AM, postbio said:

Seems like wristguards are crucial at low speeds or doing tricks, but at high speeds you may be better off wearing gloves

I don't get this logic, at all. In my experience wrist guards are absolutely essential, almost as much as a full face helmet. It is a very bad idea to ride without them, they've saved my wrists more than once, at low speed, and at high speed. 

Don't pretend you get to choose how you land in a high speed wipe/cutout - it's not going to happen the way you want it to regardless of your skill level.

image.thumb.png.94a538f7576660ee030fae4cdf063501.png

• Like 3

@Tryptych I was thinking that in a high speed crash, I want to make my entire body into a ragdoll, not stiffen my body nor arms, avoid sticking my arms out to try to catch myself, and try to roll and/or slide. 
I completely agree that in an abrupt fall there is no way to prep for it, but one thing that “might” someone might be able to do is go limp and try to roll and/or slide.

Regardless colder weather will just be gloves under my FlexMeters, along with a leather jacket with embedded elbow, shoulder, and back armor. In the summer, I usually have an AlpineStars A10 chest protector with elbow pads and FlexMeters. 

35384A08-729B-44CE-922C-B5AAE43F4F98.thumb.jpeg.8f82e5b73b04249c8939de5795375409.jpeg

• Like 1

I absolutely wear wrist guards as much as I can. In the summer, I have a armored Joe Rocket mesh bike jacket for the really hot days & a BMW AirFlow mesh for the less hot days. While it can be a bit tight, both jackets have no issues going over wrist guards. In the Winter, I either have the wrist guards over bike gloves or just bike winter gloves (which in & of itself is quite well cushioned & protected but minus the hard plastic wrist guards). 

IMHO while its possible to be self aware as use certain parts of the body to absorb impacts, however unless one is well practised on crashes, I don't see that happening. Most of us react automatically (or not) & things go where it goes with knees, elbows, lower arms & hands usually being the initial impact points.

Best to be over geared than not IMO.

Just now, Tryptych said:

It's not realistic. You're going to be on the ground, dazed, sliding along the pavement before you even realize what has happened.

Sometimes theres no time to react, but we have all seen plenty of high speed crashes that there was ample time. Quite a few incidents begin as high speed wobbles and the rider even chooses which way to bail. I'm not saying there's any good choices, but its definitely not a given that you'll have no choice. I can't say that I've been in a single high speed motocrycle or skateboard crash that didnt offer me at least a moment to react, before enjoying the flight and hating the impact/slide. Sometimes you get to react and I'd assume that sometimes you dont. SOmetimes you react poorly and sometimes not at all. Soometimes the stars line up and you get to enjoy a crash with near no injury as well. :roflmao:

• Like 3

On 10/28/2020 at 12:24 AM, Tryptych said:

It's not realistic. You're going to be on the ground, dazed, sliding along the pavement before you even realize what has happened.

This is one specific context. Some falls give you time to react at various stages as @ShanesPlanet points out. 

I agree that depending on your reaction time may not be realistic, but it's also unrealistic to place your trust in a piece of gear such as wristguards. Safety should not just be confined to considering gear in a fall, but rather including the broader context, such as: not going too fast in the first place,  understanding the physics/mechanics/electronics of an EUC, having awareness of road conditions, knowing the limits of your skill, etc.

Let's consider the various types and stages of falls: 
1. Pre fall with time to react (such as with wobbles or swerving around an obstacle) vs. Pre fall with no time to react (instant cutoff) 
2. The actual fall (maybe too fast for reaction -- I believe this is what you are focusing on)
3. The first 1 second after you fall (plenty of time to react, and that's where you can loosen up as I mentioned)
4. The subsequent slide or tumble taking a few seconds 

I wrote a much longer article here.
My Safety Plan for Riding Electric Unicycles Exceeding 30 MPH

• 1 month later...

Why do you guys think your body instinctly reacts on a fall by reaching out your hands and arms first?
Do you really think our instincts developed by millions of years are so bad for survivel?
Me... I just value my brain i bit higher than my wrists. So I will continue to allow my instict reach out my arms during a fall.
I am quite certain that hitting the ground head first is worse then hands first. And when it happenes anyway, a headinjury would be expected.

Then again, a perfect roll would be the best. But that has to be trained for a long time to actually become a new instinct. Just my thoughts on the topic.