A Tesla or MCM5 for my 8 year old kid?

Pjoke

Hi guys. 

My kid just turned 8 and has been riding for  6 months now on a ninebot one. 

He is riding the ninebot like a pro, and we ride together 3-5 times a week. 

His biggest wish for christmas is a new wheel, and I’m in big doubts here. 

The speed isnt so important - he won’t be going + 40 km/t  for years 😉 But I am missing range. When we go on weekend rides his ninebot limits us a lot here. 

I’m torn between the MCM5 or the Tesla. But I’m worried the Tesla is to heavy. Is has the perfect range and the bigger wheel calls for more stability. But will it be to heavy (big) for an 8 year old ? I don’t want him to prefer his ninebot instead because he has difficulty controlling a Tesla. 

(i assume you can speed limit the Tesla in the app?)

The price for the wheels are pretty close and it seems you get a lot more bang for your money with the Tesla, but is the MCM5 a better choise for my kid? 

What do you think? 

• 5 months later...

Hi Pjoke. 

I hate seeing a post with no responses especially when you know people are viewing the post. 

Anyway i know both these wheels well i personally ride the Tesla as my main wheel. In terms of size ill tell you straight i have seen 7 year old ride RS and Shermans, it really is just a matter of time of building up the strength to manoeuvre the wheel as long as you son dont have to carry the wheel id say go for the Tesla.  The MCM5V2 will prove to be the more torquey of the 2 wheels and will provide more room for growth in my opinion. 

There is a size difference and weight difference between these 2 wheels so id say that the immediate choice would be the mcm5 however i still think the long term best choice is the Teslav2. 

All the best if you have not made a decision already. 

• Like 1

I tend to agree with @Hecticc. If he's already got the hang of riding an EUC I don't think the Telsa would be a problem for him. It's really only heavy when you have to lift it up stairs or other obstacles. While he's riding it, I suspect he'll be able to handle it quite well as it's got good power and is quite stable. The only time it gets harder to turn is at speed (rotating mass etc.) but that can be limited with the app anyway. I'd suggest teaching him to 'respect the beep' and slow down when the wheel is telling you something (many other riders could benefit from learning this too imo)! Best of luck!

• Like 1

I have both wheels and think the mcm5 is really more appropriate. It’s a lot lighter and will be easier for him to maneuver it when he’s not riding it too, this way he can take more responsibility for the wheel etc. It’s plenty fast and has some of the quickest acceleration of all the wheels in my quiver.  I think he’s a bit young for the Tesla.

Edited by Mrd777
  • Like 1

Get him the MCM5v2. Though only 14", its as comfy as a 16" wheel. Very nimble & fun. Its a huge upgrade >ninebot1 & I'm positive he'll love it. Its also substantially lighter than the Tesla both in conveyance & in ride feel.

IMO its a much better fit for an 8yr old & he'll enjoy it lots. Heck I'm far from my childhood days, likely weighs 3x more & I enjoy it lots. 

• Like 1

I have to agree with @Scottie888 that you should get him the MCM5v2 it should be much easier to maneuver  because of the 14" for a person of his size while the weight is lower it is overall the ideal wheel IF speed is limited of course considering his age... But you seem to have already taken that into account.

Now regardless of speed limit make sure he wears at least wrist, knee, elbow and head protection.

• Like 1

Nah ... I disagree with all of the posts ... I think you should get him a basketball  :w00t2::laughbounce2:.  (Sorry, a bit of sarcasm here ... I mean, @Pjoke posted at the end of September asking for a response before Christmas & it wasn't until March that anyone responded).

Our apologies for the lateness of the response @Pjoke.

With that said, what wheel did you get your 8 year old for Christmas?