kingsong s18 charging

Ralph Longoria

41 minutes ago, Ralph Longoria said:

Hi my ks18 only charge 95% it wont charge 100% ive tried 3 different charge and still 95% should i be concerned could i still ride it or send it for repair

Have you checked it with more than one app? Have you let it balance charge? 5% is a bit, but I'm sure youll be asked similar, if you file a claim.

19 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Have you checked it with more than one app? Have you let it balance charge? 5% is a bit, but I'm sure youll be asked similar, if you file a claim.

Yes. Voltage would be a more "precise" number. But still not 100% is not 100% no matter if 'standard" or "optimized" charge % are shown.

Afaik EUC World shows by now standard charge % as default setting. Don't know about Darknessbot?

@Ralph Longoria - there seem to be more people with this charging problem:

19 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Yes. Voltage would be a more "precise" number. But still not 100% is not 100% no matter if 'standard" or "optimized" charge % are shown.

Afaik EUC World shows by now standard charge % as default setting. Don't know about Darknessbot?

@Ralph Longoria - there seem to be more people with this charging problem:

I was thinking more along the lines of inaccurate numbers presented by the wheel and how each interpreted the data. On mine, Darknessbot and EUCW NEVER agree on voltage. Neither is what my multimeter claims. They sometimes agree on %, but thats because its got such large range of what it considers 100%. I hardly rely on % numbers, i prefer the votage specs. There seems to be a LOT of people with a LOT of problems on that model. Seems like a kit for engineers to me.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I was thinking more along the lines of inaccurate numbers presented by the wheel and how each interpreted the data. On mine, Darknessbot and EUCW NEVER agree on voltage

Different voltage readings reported would be strange - this number is reported by the wheels firmware and just shown by the app. I'd see absolutely no reason for any interpretation. Just the "translation" for GW wheels reporting 67.2V and having 84V and 100.8V... But i'd assume all app's manage this calculation without faults?

Neither is what my multimeter claims.

To show a voltage in the 84V range with an accuracy of 0.1V one would need a DMM with a failure less than 0.1/84~0.1%.

Most people don't own such multimeters (and get the yearly calibrations) nor does the wheels motherboard measurement reach anything near such an accuracy...

Additionally measuring the voltage at the batteries charge input or output cozld give some differences with load/charging current.

They sometimes agree on %, but thats because its got such large range of what it considers 100%. I hardly rely on % numbers, i prefer the votage specs.

+1.

I have some videos using my calibrated DMM for the charger voltage.

this is from my warranty claim stuff.

I have this long boring  video showing the charge weirdness (this is the charge from 90%, but did the same from 20%) 

Off the charger the wheel settled around 81.3V or 93% in KS app and 90% in EUC world.

hope it helps with yours... Not sure there was any self balancing stuff once it hits that 95% barrier. just sits there forever, it seemed that way for me anyway. unless I rode it down a lot then stuck it on. 

anyway range and performance was pretty close to expected regardless.

i did have an unexplained cutoff, not sure if related to battery imbalance or whatever.

i raised the warranty claim because i was losing 10% before even getting to use it. That first 10% gets you a load of fast paced range normally.

Also the rapid drop off was way higher than the 0.02*20=0.4V or whatever you're supposed to see. someone mentioned the 500mV level as a sign to look into it on another forum post about a tesla. and others were reporting as high as 84.5V on their S18, dropping only to 84.3V after two days.

Edited by Daniel Hollinghurst

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Yes ive done that ive tried different app kingsong app 94% eucworld 95% wheelog 94% i was only reaching 81.7V

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Daniel Hollinghurst said:

I have some videos using my calibrated DMM for the charger voltage.

this is from my warranty claim stuff.

I have this long boring  video showing the charge weirdness (this is the charge from 90%, but did the same from 20%) 

Off the charger the wheel settled around 81.3V or 93% in KS app and 90% in EUC world.

hope it helps with yours... Not sure there was any self balancing stuff once it hits that 95% barrier. just sits there forever, it seemed that way for me anyway. unless I rode it down a lot then stuck it on. 

anyway range and performance was pretty close to expected regardless.

i did have an unexplained cutoff, not sure if related to battery imbalance or whatever.

i raised the warranty claim because i was losing 10% before even getting to use it. That first 10% gets you a load of fast paced range normally.

Also the rapid drop off was way higher than the 0.02*20=0.4V or whatever you're supposed to see. someone mentioned the 500mV level as a sign to look into it on another forum post about a tesla. and others were reporting as high as 84.5V on their S18, dropping only to 84.3V after two days.

Ive decide to send it for repair i shipped mine today just to be safe i was only getting 24miles on 36% 

• 2 years later...

Where I live, there are no spare parts.  No shipping to another country then receiving the wheel back here.  Customs is entirely corrupt.

I have been dealing with week long charging cycles including putting a timer on it to turn on the charger every 10 minutes and let it run for 5 minutes.  I only ever get it to charge to 93% or so.  I know a mechanic at the place where I bought it and he says he just charges the packs individually to 100% and then sends the wheel out the door. But I do not see that as a 'fix' because something caused the battery packs to go out of balance in the first place.

The most recent firmware update for my S18 allowed me to play with the charging and get it to slowly take a charge. I had hoped it would reach 100% and balance out the battery packs.  That would be too easy, I guess.  never happened.

Has anyone seen a video of someone taking out the battery packs and showing how to charge them individually?  Would be of great help.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, s18 said:

Where I live, there are no spare parts.  No shipping to another country then receiving the wheel back here.  Customs is entirely corrupt.

I have been dealing with week long charging cycles including putting a timer on it to turn on the charger every 10 minutes and let it run for 5 minutes.  I only ever get it to charge to 93% or so.  I know a mechanic at the place where I bought it and he says he just charges the packs individually to 100% and then sends the wheel out the door. But I do not see that as a 'fix' because something caused the battery packs to go out of balance in the first place.

The most recent firmware update for my S18 allowed me to play with the charging and get it to slowly take a charge. I had hoped it would reach 100% and balance out the battery packs.  That would be too easy, I guess.  never happened.

Has anyone seen a video of someone taking out the battery packs and showing how to charge them individually?  Would be of great help.

Just so you know.. If wheel doesn't change fully. You are playing with fire. And if something goes wrong and your house burns down. Don't come crying.

Just a "friendly" warning!

Same story as guy in NYC charged he's wheel "each" pack individually. Then one day out of blue wheel burst into flames... Sooner or later your wheel also will ignite then. (Maybe..)

Edited by Funky

I am going to move the wheel outside to charge.  Houses do not burn down it this country.  They burn out.  One need only hose them out and refill them with furniture again.  All done - no problem. d

If only the country issued driver's licenses in less than eight years time, then I may have never decided to rid a wheel everywhere.  Love riding my wheel.  Thanks for the word of caution. The wheel is outside now.  Nothing near it that could possibly burn.

It can ignite even when not charging.. (If you got problems with battery.) Also keep the wheel protected from rain, insects, low/high temperatures. Any outside elements that could damage the wheel even more.

I personally would not ride it anymore. There is no guarantee it won't stop working while riding = you crash. 

13 hours ago, alcatraz said:

A story with a happy ending. Nice work! Good you noticed the problem early. :)

But he can't get it "fixed". So there is only sad ending.. As he will simply keep riding till wheel dies. Or burst into flames..

On 11/16/2022 at 6:41 AM, s18 said:

I am going to move the wheel outside to charge.  Houses do not burn down it this country.  They burn out.  One need only hose them out and refill them with furniture again.  All done - no problem. d

If only the country issued driver's licenses in less than eight years time, then I may have never decided to rid a wheel everywhere.  Love riding my wheel.  Thanks for the word of caution. The wheel is outside now.  Nothing near it that could possibly burn.

Are you interested in attaching balance leads to your battery packs?

By doing so you can open up the possibility of balancing externally by hooking up a charger to the balance leads.

The leads are cheap. The work of installing them is a bit time consuming. And there's no super simple cheap balance charger you can hook up, unless you're a bit crafty and diy. 

In any case. That way you can charge all groups to 4.20v = 100v. If you've just got a bad bms or weak group, by externally balancing you can prolong the lifespan significantly.

You should only install balancing connectors and do manual balancing if you know the ins and outs of li-ion batteries. And only on a pack that has only healthy cells, no dead ones. Not charging above 93% could mean that one of the cell groups has already been deflated below the safety limit, and is now dangerous to charge, both with manual balancing and normal charging.

If the battery has been damaged, it’s not repairable for a common EUC rider. Repairing it requires special skills and advanced knowledge.

• Like 1