Neck brace

I searched the forums but did not see any threads on neck braces. I crashed going about 20mph and my neck was stiff and sore for a week. I’ve been thinking about getting the Leatt Neck brace. It is for motocross so I’m not sure if it is helpful for EUC riding.

Does anyone use a neck brace?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-gpx-55-neck-brace

leatt_gpx55_neck_brace_1800x1800.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ManjaroBlack said:

You know. I never thought about that, but a neck brace sounds like something worth trying. Get one and let us know if there are any reasons not to get one!

1) cost

2)comfort

3)appearance

4)more shit to store

5)time to don

At one point, maybe euc is just too dangerous for some people? I'm all for setting your own levels of compromise for safety, but damn! I'm not sure that crashing at 20mph is NOT supposed to make you a bit sore. I mean shit, its called incentive :thumbup:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

The most important body part to protect is your head and after that is your neck.

I’d like to try a neck brace but it is a little expensive. I wanted to see if anyone has one and hear their input. Maybe a neck brace is not necessary for riding EUC. I was not expecting for my neck to be sore after a crash like that.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ferreal said:

The most important body part to protect is your head and after that is your neck.

I’d like to try a neck brace but it is a little expensive. I wanted to see if anyone has one and hear their input. Maybe a neck brace is not necessary for riding EUC. I was not expecting for my neck to be sore after a crash like that.

Valid points. You must also consider the loss of mobility. The fact that your neck is only sore and not broken, says a little bit. Wearing a neck brace makes it difficult to turn your head and look around. Its kind of the point of the brace. You have to ask yourself, is the increased risk of an accident from having less ability to look; less than the decrease in injury, should you fall? If you wear a neck brace, are you going to wear a back brace, as the transfer of energy has to go somewhere. I think collar bones are a very common injury on an euc. Does the neck brace also minimize damage to those? I'm sure the neck is a concern. I guess the question really is... how often do people suffer neck injuries on an euc? I tend to have a sore neck anytime I fall fairly hard doing anything. Usually other injuries are worse. Hell, I dunno what the stats are and how much it would help, very good question. Get it in black and we can call you RoboCop.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Valid points. You must also consider the loss of mobility. The fact that your neck is only sore and not broken, says a little bit. Wearing a neck brace makes it difficult to turn your head and look around. Its kind of the point of the brace. You have to ask yourself, is the increased risk of an accident from having less ability to look; less than the decrease in injury, should you fall? If you wear a neck brace, are you going to wear a back brace, as the transfer of energy has to go somewhere. I think collar bones are a very common injury on an euc. Does the neck brace also minimize damage to those? I'm sure the neck is a concern. I guess the question really is... how often do people suffer neck injuries on an euc? I tend to have a sore neck anytime I fall fairly hard doing anything. Usually other injuries are worse. Hell, I dunno what the stats are and how much it would help, very good question. Get it in black and we can call you RoboCop.

thanks for your input. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/25/2020 at 3:06 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

The Leatt neck brace was designed to have a minimal impact on a riders mobility while providing protection of the cervical spine and collarbone.  Leatt's Neck braces have been independently tested to provide up top 89% reduction in critical cervical spine injuries.  Motorcross professionals would not want to wear gear that hampered their ability to compete.  Companies like Leatt understand that their products need to provide the right balance of protection and comfort in order to be adopted by the riders.   

Leatt has developed a minimalist lightweight design that only gets in the way during a crash by stopping the riders neck from over extending in either direction and also dissipating the force of the helmet from a direct impact on the Collarbone.  In other words you should not really notice it much if its fitted well until you need it.  These pics below show the low profile of a Leatt neck brace as worn by professional motocross riders.  In fact when it comes to racing, less and less riders are heading out without some kind of brace in place.  Great read here for ore info https://rideexpeditions.com/wear-neck-brace/

Neck-brace-2-1.jpg

Neck-brace-10.jpg

Motocross has been around for a lot longer than EUC riding and the safety gear that has been adopted has seen many iterations based on the sports history, advancements in technology and sheer capitalism.  The EUC community is fortunate enough to use the learnings of this comparable sport to create a safer starting point of required rider equipment.  We  can tap into similar products that have been time tested in the field to keep the participants of the motorsports safer.  Bottom line is if they are wearing it and it works, then its probably a good product to consider in our EUC starting lineup.   Only time will tell how these products work on EUC's and how they will need to be tweeked for our sport.  For now, I'm spenidng the dough on a Leatt 3.5 Neck Brace as I never want to say  "I wish I bought it" because after shit happens its too late.  And like they say in the Marines.  Shit happens.  Head, Neck, Back, Elbows, Hands, Hips, Knees, Feet get more exposed after 20 mph.  So gear up.  Its the best money you can spend.  I can guarantee everyone reading this one thing for sure.  If shit does happen, you will never say, "I wish I was not wearing that neck brace I purchased."

Below are some links where I picked up my gear.  Use ZLAFTP2022 for 15% off first purchase.  Note: I am not affiliated with this merchant and do not receive any compensation for this recommendation.  I am just passing on my experience as a satisfied customer.

Leatt Neck brace $389 - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-35-neck-brace

Leatt AirFlex Stealth Body Tee Armored Shirt  $199 - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-airflex-stealth-body-tee-armored-shirt

This T one of my favorites, but all of the Leatt body armor works as a complete system with their Neck braces.  You can use the neck brace by itself or with Leatt's integrated armor.  Hey we might as well look cool while you are being safe!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

While I crashed, the chin bar hit straight to the ground. My neck was sore about two weeks. In this case the neck brace wouldn't have helped at all. Now I have been looking for flatter profile helmets.

• Like 1

Leatt makes a chest protector with integrated collar, the LEATT Fusion 3.0 BL, maybe a valid option to avoid the "one more piece of gear to wear, now it's just too much I'm not riding my EUC anymore" syndrome?

• Like 1