Z10 Rapid and violent shaking

ScottG71

Anyone know what could be causing my z10 “shake” when centered? The problem started when I first turned it on. Not during a ride or after an accident. If I hold pressure to go backwards or forwards it seems fine (not okay to ride) until I change stop moving. The upright neutral position goes nuts.  I have replaced both cards (took over a month to receive the cards and 3 weeks to change serial number). After all that, turned it on and it’s doing the exact same thing. Checked all connections and wires for issues and all looked fine. 

I haven’t taken the wheel apart any further than changing the cards yet. Hoping someone can identify what I can test or replace. Shaky Z10

• Like 1

If your mainboard is properly seated/attached, then check hall sensors in motor and all wiring/connectors from motor to board (you have eliminated the board - so there is nothing left but motor): 

Edited by amelanso

8 hours ago, ScottG71 said:

Anyone know what could be causing my z10 “shake” when centered? The problem started when I first turned it on. Not during a ride or after an accident. If I hold pressure to go backwards or forwards it seems fine (not okay to ride) until I change stop moving. The upright neutral position goes nuts.  I have replaced both cards (took over a month to receive the cards and 3 weeks to change serial number). After all that, turned it on and it’s doing the exact same thing. Checked all connections and wires for issues and all looked fine. 

I haven’t taken the wheel apart any further than changing the cards yet. Hoping someone can identify what I can test or replace. Shaky Z10

A friend of mine had his axle nuts come loose on his Z10 and it did *exactly* the same as your video.

Admittedly, this seems to be a very rare occurrence on the Z, in fact it's the only one I had ever seen/heard of, but deffo worth checking.

I have had this problem. Wheel got away from me on a steep hill and it hit a big rock at the bottom, bent the rim, I fixed it good enough to ride but it got the shakes. I've put well over 1000 miles on it since with no problem other than having to keep pressure forward or backward on it.

Edit: watched your video, mine shakes similarly, but not nearly as violent.

Edited by Not Sure

Thanks for the suggestions. Tested hall sensors and all tested good. Noticed some "wiggle" in the pedals. The left axel nut was loose!!. Spent the entire summer waiting on parts and magic code numbers when i just needed to tighten a nut.....

Tightened the nuts and applied a little thread lock stopped the shaking. Went for a ride last night and being idle is not good for the z10. Several new issues.....

-  When swapping the cards I did not restore the mileage. Put 10 miles on it last night I think (see next item)

-  The reported speed is way off. The app thinks I'm maxing out at 27 mph and starts to tilt back but I'm only going 16 MPH. Thought I was being speed limited due to the mileage but that isn't it..

- Receiving "abnormal communication from battery 2. Starts fine and can see 2 batteries (they are balanced). After a few minutes I receive the message and only 1 battery is visible in the app, Both batteries are being used and remain balanced.

Have no idea if the battery is trash or if something else is loose.....

Comment on the repair experience.

Issue resolved within 24 hours of posting here. You guys are fantastic!

Support from vendors, not so good.

I really love the z10 but have developed a significant hatred of ninebot-segway. Would have purchased another z10 rather than any other wheel available today if they would could have provided a minimum level of support or even a "so sorry" for your loss.. They refused to help me in anyway. Troubleshooting or changing the SN when I replaced the cards was a delicate dance with Alibaba vendor. I asked Segway if they were concerned I stole the wheel and the reply was "no, we don't support z10's in the USA". Tried using a London address but still no support at all. They answered every email requesting support in changing the serial number with other questions like "did you unlock it" after several nights communicating, they would just say "no".

Really had an awful exchange with Ninebot. I've spend a lot of money buying their wheels and  now I will never purchase anything the make again (I have a z10 and an S2). S2 still works great. If they start selling that hoverboard from Back to the Future I will reconsider but not very likely to give them another ,01.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ScottG71 said:

Spent the entire summer waiting on parts and magic code numbers when i just needed to tighten a nut.....

Tightened the nuts and applied a little thread lock stopped the shaking.

You're welcome :)

Re the batt issue, things aren't so simple. I am not aware of anyone being able to 'fix' an imbalance short of a full batt/bms replacement :(