Riding down stairs

h3X

I'm planning to gear up and just go learn it, increasing a step at a time. Do you have any tips?

Update:
I found a lot of useful information in this video.
I went out and found a shallow stair to begin training. I started at 3 steps and rode the stairs diagonally to decrease the bump frequency. I progressed quickly to 6 steps before trying the staircase head on.
Riding it head on, I incrementally increased my speed. After this I found another, steeper stair (5 steps), and rode that one diagonally, before progressing to riding it straight. I can ride it at mild to moderate speed now, after about 20 minutes of practicing.
I have found that I need more malleolus support, so I'm attaching that now.

Edited by h3X

Don't lean back.  Keep your weight balanced, err forward rather than back. If you need to control the speed stay upright and gently guide the EUC rather than trying to brake. If you start to lean back on any steep downhill the EUC will run away from you.

Practice soft legs, particularly knees and anticipate the absorption of the landing putting minimum force on the pedals/foot pads during the impact.

You want to minimise the work the EUC has to do continuously varying the balance, keep an eye on temperatures and don't risk low battery.

• Like 2

I added some more ankle support and rode the stair pictured. No falls yet! I'm going to work on increasing speed and step count when I'm done with today's errands. 😎

IMG_20200825_113104.png

• Like 2

TBH, I'm more afraid about denting the rim and other damage the EUC can suffer even on a successful ride than myself falling when it comes to stairs... :-/ That's why I didn't try full-height stairs yet. Did you notice anything like that at your EUC?

2 hours ago, Zopper said:

Did you notice anything like that

It feels like the tire is close to bottoming out, but not fully. I haven't filled the tire after gooping it a few weeks ago, so I'm going to try maximum pressure next time. I'm riding on the V8, so it's a 16x2.125" tire.

Edited by h3X

Ok. I tried it as well and successfully. The height and angle of the stairs looks similar to what I got to as well. I ended up with 8 steps (flights?). No feel of bottoming out with my V10 and maybe 65 kg load with gear. Now I gotta find something longer. :P Anyway, thanks for the motivation.

• Like 2

Well, with my Ks16s (slim tire as the V8) it was really hard to go downstairs. Mainly, because of the small wheel. But also because of the shell was too deep, so it scratched with every step I took not exactly enough. With my Z10 I do not have problems any more. But going downstairs diagonally, I would be afraid to hit my pedals and fall...

The hardest thing for me was to bring myself to go fast enough. With the right speed, you do not feel any bumps. Sadly the longer the stair, the faster you go. And then you are too fast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boris Lämpel said:

I would be afraid to hit my pedals and fall...

I've hit my pedals on steps a few times by now, some times I jump off and land on my feet; other times it just stops me. I still haven't fallen (but the wheel has). When I ride now, I'm constantly looking for new stairs to try, short and long, steep and shallow. I think the variety helps me generalize the skill faster.

Edited by h3X
  • Like 2

I skipped the angled approach entirely and went straight on. :D But then, I have jump pads and I already do some small jumps both over obstacles and on dirt tracks, so it was more like "oh, I know how to do this already" after trying it. So, my take is: try everything. Whatever trick you learn will help you with all the other ones.

• Like 2

I have to agree there. Riding down stairs doesn't feel very different from any other bumpy downhill section. I suppose riding up stairs will feel just like a bumpy uphill too.

I also have a lot of padding already, I just approach new tricks (too?) cautiously. Fail safely. Try everything!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...