EUC’s ...1st through now

From first to now, which I assume is the Gotway suspension wheel.

i love @AtlasP spreadsheet but I was looking for something visual. Perhaps I could create a visual timeline of wheels over time.

I heard somewhere that Rockwheel was the first but I’d love to get the real school from you girls/guys here. 

It depends on where you draw the line. Could this be the first prototype or is there something even older? (Only counting self-balancing vehicles with just one wheel, I assume)

This one was still very close to what comes to mind the first time your hear the term EUC since it still looks like a regular unicycle. Notice that he says he never rode 16km because it is a long distance on an EUC. We have come a long way since.

17 minutes ago, Kryziss said:

It depends on where you draw the line. Could this be the first prototype or is there something even older? (Only counting self-balancing vehicles with just one wheel, I assume)

This one was still very close to what comes to mind the first time your hear the term EUC since it still looks like a regular unicycle. Notice that he says he never rode 16km because it is a long distance on an EUC. We have come a long way since.

Thanks!

Yeah, where to draw the line is a good question. Production wheels I guess? 

If we're also counting working prototypes, don't forget the Bombardier Embrio, the Honda U3-X, the Ryno, and the Enicycle. 

Edit: Nevermind, the bombardier was concept only, no working prototype. 

Edited by BFE Duke
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Kryziss said:

In the video at 7:20 they discuss that this is a fifth generation prototype and that Adam has a first generation hanging in his workshop.

With that being said, it's really cool to see a video from five years ago about this technology with the perspective of today. When he said that one wouldn't want to ride for an hour on it and that ten miles was enough, I couldn't help but chuckle.  I've been on group rides where we go in excess of 40, and some of my group do 200 mile rides regularly. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BFE Duke said:

If we're also counting working prototypes, don't forget the Bombardier Embrio, the Honda U3-X, the Ryno, and the Enicycle. 

Edit: Nevermind, the bombardier was concept only, no working prototype. 

Do you happen to have years on those wheels? Also, were they ever sold? Perhaps I could have 2 separate lists...one for working prototypes, and the other for mass production/sale to public.

This guy had an interesting visualization, although I didn't agree with him completely--Nikola/KS-16X/MSP/etc belong as a distinct 5th gen not partially bunded with 4th, and V11/S18/Sherman/etc are now 6th gen (which didn't exist at the time that thread was created.

Edited by AtlasP

12 hours ago, Blicky Te️la said:

Do you happen to have years on those wheels? Also, were they ever sold? Perhaps I could have 2 separate lists...one for working prototypes, and the other for mass production/sale to public.

Bombardier announced somewhere around 2003. 

2006 Janick and Marc Simeray filed patents for seatless EUC. 

Ryno, around 2008. 

Focus Designs's SBU circa 2009. 

Honda U3-X, circa 2009. 

Enicycle, circa 2009. 

2010 Shane Chen filed patent for seatless EUC. 

These are the dates I could find. 

Edited by BFE Duke
  • Like 2