My next ride

Hi guys, 

I've been riding my first EUC, a ninebot one, for two month now. 

I am there now where I can turn on a coin, go backwards, small jumps and the wheel beeps constantly (max speed).

I am in big need of an upgrade, but I am very much in doubt which wheel to buy next. 

I have my eyes on the Gotway MCM5, which looks like a really good "next step on the latter".

BUT, I dont want to buy a new wheel only to want an upgrade again in 3 months.

Which is also why I have looked a lot after the Kingsong KS-16X. 

What are your opinion on this - should I go for the Kingsong next or is the MCM5 plenty for the next long period of time ? 

And finally, if we are talking about upgrading to the Kingsong, are there any wheels you think I should consider instead?

I'm riding in the city, almost no off roading and rarely more then 10 kilometers at a time. 

Thanks for all your input in advance 😊

Pjoke.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pjoke said:

Hi guys, 

I've been riding my first EUC, a ninebot one, for two month now. 

I am there now where I can turn on a coin, go backwards, small jumps and the wheel beeps constantly (max speed).

I am in big need of an upgrade, but I am very much in doubt which wheel to buy next. 

I have my eyes on the Gotway MCM5, which looks like a really good "next step on the latter".

BUT, I dont want to buy a new wheel only to want an upgrade again in 3 months.

Which is also why I have looked a lot after the Kingsong KS-16X. 

What are your opinion on this - should I go for the Kingsong next or is the MCM5 plenty for the next long period of time ? 

And finally, if we are talking about upgrading to the Kingsong, are there any wheels you think I should consider instead?

I'm riding in the city, almost no off roading and rarely more then 10 kilometers at a time. 

Thanks for all your input in advance 😊

Pjoke.

Welcome to the forum!

Hmmm...it's hard to say. How much do you weight? What's your budget? Do you use your wheel to commute, only for fun or both? Because depending on that, your needs for range could change. I used to do 15 km tours, then when I upgraded my wheel, 30 km tours, now I do 70+ km tours. So knowing what use you're going to give it, what range you think you might need once you're able to go further, your max. speed requirements (whether you like to ride fast or not) are all helpful info.

The 16X is a great wheel, but if you really aren't going to do more than 10km at a time, the range is overkill. An MCM5  is a good choice,  or a Tesla v2 or a KS16S....it's so hard to choose a wheel sometimes! 

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

Thank you Travsformation, 

Right now I'm just having fun on my wheel, learning, learning and learning. 

But the plan is to use it as a replacement for my electrical kickscooter (Zero 10X). This I use everyday (expect in snow) to get to work. I park the car outside the city and use it to get to work, sliding right past all the traffic and no parking hassle 😊.

But  an EUC is so much more awesome to ride. 

I weigh around 80 kgs, and don't really have a budget. I would rather buy the right wheel the first time instead of having 3-4 wheels in the garage that I never use 😉.

But you are very right - I have watched a lot of reviews now, and I really don't know what to choose. 

• Like 2

One thing that is kind of important for me however, is how the wheels handles in rain

I live en Denmark and we have a lot of rain. 

Also, the backsplash is kinda of important to me (I know it seems silly). But I wear a suit everyday, and ride it to work.

When it is raining I have rainclothes on the outside.

But even when the sun is out (and I am not wearing rain clothes) you do occasionally hit a small pot of water og go through and area with a little mud. If the wheel splashes to much at the back I need to visit my dry cleaner (-:

So a wheel that can handle rain daily and perhaps a wheels that dosent spray the back of my legs if I hit a small puddle of water.

The 16X is famous for it’s lack of waterproofing, so it would require a bit of work to suit your needs.

Since you are going to ride with a suit, I’ll assume that you won’t be wearing much protective gear on your daily commute. In that case a large tire diameter (or suspension) could save you from a lot of long lasting pain and a new suit or two. The MCM5 is the most powerful 14”, but it’s still only a 14” wheel. Hitting a curb larger than you thought it would be while you watch for traffic, pedestrians, and the red head with a flowery summer dress, will seriously throw you off balance on a narrow 14” tire, whereas on a large wheel it could be just a funny little scare.

How long is your total commute? Seeing how the addiction goes for most of us, ditching the car completely is not at all uncommon. If your upgrade path is heading that way, shipping a few intermediate wheels saves your a lot of time and money. And is more fun right away! ;) Which would of course warrant for a different kind of wheel than what your current plans would get away with.

As a tall and a bit heavier guy, anything smaller than an 18” wheel for me is a wheel for tricks or just very short travels, essentially a replacement for walking. Whereas an 18” wheel is a replacement for a bicycle, or even a motorcycle/car.

How far would you ride on a charge if you had a wheel with infinite battery, no top speed limit, and it would be more stable than you can ever imagine from an EUC? :)

• Like 3

I think most of us go through the same progression. I started riding this spring on a heavily used ks16c - 680wh with the intent to commute to work with it after the summer holliday. My commute is 20 km each way. During the first month or so after learning how to ride I could only go for 10-15 minute trips @ 20 km/h before I had to take a break. The speed was awesome and more than sufficient at the time and I started to second guess my original plan to upgrade to a bigger wheel. 

Well fast forward a month or so (1000 km) and  now my trips are 1.5 hours with no breaks and a cruising speed at the speed limit of my KS - topspeed of 30 km/h and average cruising speed at about 23-24 km/h. I constantly find myself riding at the speed limit of the wheel, so the original plan based on the feedback from this forum is back on. A bigger wheel is already overdue for me, and now it comes down to choosing the next ride, which puts me almost exactly in the same position as the OP. 

Any 18” wheel would probably do, as well as the 16X. The Ks18XL is from what I recon a perfect balance between commuter/trail rider combined with excellent relia ility and ample range. But it has no suspension... which seems to be the big hype atm. For me suspension is alluring as it would give you extra ’safety’ when hitting those unexpected pot-holes and curbs. 

A last word of advice though to the OP. I never ride without full body armor, wrist gurds & knee pads and my motorcross helmet. Especially after upgrading as with it comes more speed and inherently more danger. I also need to wear a suit at work and fortunately we have a changing room at the office where I keep a couple of spare suits and dress shirts so I can change there. 

welcome to the addicting world of EUC’s!

• Like 2

Maybe this post of my own personal EUC upgrade path will also help:

The Inmotion V11 could also be a very good options for you. Safe, 18" tire + suspension, good range for when you inevitably become addicted (😉), probably the best waterproofing of any EUC, good range, very smooth ride, very classy to show up at work on...

But let us know if you're after something smaller/with less range, since we're mostly recommending performance wheels (so you don't outgrow your new wheel too soon). But I entirely agree with everything that's been said about 16" being the minimum for safe commuting, especially when wet (and I reckon a 16x3" is much better than a narrower tire, it gives so much more stability). What's your commute to work like? What kind of paths and terrain is it on?

3 hours ago, FinRider said:

I think most of us go through the same progression. I started riding this spring on a heavily used ks16c - 680wh with the intent to commute to work with it after the summer holliday. My commute is 20 km each way. During the first month or so after learning how to ride I could only go for 10-15 minute trips @ 20 km/h before I had to take a break. The speed was awesome and more than sufficient at the time and I started to second guess my original plan to upgrade to a bigger wheel. 

Well fast forward a month or so (1000 km) and  now my trips are 1.5 hours with no breaks and a cruising speed at the speed limit of my KS - topspeed of 30 km/h and average cruising speed at about 23-24 km/h. I constantly find myself riding at the speed limit of the wheel, so the original plan based on the feedback from this forum is back on. A bigger wheel is already overdue for me, and now it comes down to choosing the next ride, which puts me almost exactly in the same position as the OP. 

Any 18” wheel would probably do, as well as the 16X. The Ks18XL is from what I recon a perfect balance between commuter/trail rider combined with excellent relia ility and ample range. But it has no suspension... which seems to be the big hype atm. For me suspension is alluring as it would give you extra ’safety’ when hitting those unexpected pot-holes and curbs. 

A last word of advice though to the OP. I never ride without full body armor, wrist gurds & knee pads and my motorcross helmet. Especially after upgrading as with it comes more speed and inherently more danger. I also need to wear a suit at work and fortunately we have a changing room at the office where I keep a couple of spare suits and dress shirts so I can change there. 

welcome to the addicting world of EUC’s!

Hey Finrider - thx a lot for your feed back, much appreciated. 

I´m all in for protection - Even when I get 99 % confident in my own abilities, there are always a hundred bicycles, cars and pedestrians that can ruin your ride 😉 and although I put my faith in the manufacturer, I know that one day the wheel my could turn on me. 

I have also made a post in the gears and protections section - got some good answers there already. Perhaps they could be of interest for you also 😊