16X Rim Replacement

Harvey Pooka

Has anyone replaced a rim on the 16X yet? I had a broken rim but instead of buying the whole motor, EWheels sell the rim alone so I thought I would try that. It hasn't arrived yet but I thought I would do the dismantling while waiting. I've removed the pedal hangers and am at the point of removing the two round black metal plates on either side. I've removed the screws. The plates are solidly attached with a sealant/glue all around the edge which I have loosened but the plates still do not release. Do I need to remove the axles to get the plate off? I don't want to remove them because of the wiring siliconed in unless I have to. I looks as if it should slide off over the axle but it doesn't.

If not that, then the glue must still be holding it. Maybe where I can't reach. I  didn't want to pry heavily at it unless I know that's the only cause. 

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

16X  Rim Plate.jpg

Edited by Harvey Pooka
Missing thank you.
  • Like 1

Sorry you KS16X how this hapend low psi or crash often curb?

Ecodrift has grat pictures here how motor is asembled. Watch here thats all wha ti can do for you sorry.

https://ecodrift.ru/2019/06/23/kingsong-ks-16x-razbiraem/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DjPanJan said:

Sorry you KS16X how this hapend low psi or crash often curb?

Ecodrift has grat pictures here how motor is asembled. Watch here thats all wha ti can do for you sorry.

https://ecodrift.ru/2019/06/23/kingsong-ks-16x-razbiraem/

Thanks @DjPanJan. These pictures do help. The axle looks like it is not removed so it probably is just excessive sealant making it hard to come off. I might email EcoDrift to confirm. 

I ride with 40 -45 psi so I don't think it was that. I was on an off road ride coming down a mountain road. Quite bumpy with rocks. Tire popped and had to walk out abut 6 - 7 km. I'm guessing one of three things happened. 

1. I hit or scrapped a rock with the side of my wheel which cracked and then later popped the wheel.

2. I hit something hard enough to both crack and pop the wheel at the same time. (It didn't feel like that.)

3. I popped the wheel (snakebite tear in the side of the inner tube) and rolling the wheel out over bumpy rocky ground for 6 - 7 km cracked it.

Things like this happen. With all the truly crappy things happening in the world, this is not that serious. I really do appreciate you taking the time to find those pictures.

• Like 1

Thanks @RetroThruster. With @DjPanJan's help I was able to get it taken apart. I'm going to give some details here for anyone else like me (non-mechanically inclined neophyte) who has to do this.

RECOMMENDED TOOLS

Allen keys/wrenches (hexagon) - 4 mm and 6 mm. Long handle for the 6 mm.

Putty knives (2 is easier than one)

Paint scraper or screw driver

Two things you can use as prying levers (I used two metal tire levers)

Three soup cans

Pieces of card board

1. Remove pedal hanger on one side using 6 mm Allen wrench. You don't need to remove both sides. The screws are pretty tight so a long handle one makes it easier.

2. Remove all the screws holding the plates on using the 4 mm Allen wrench.

3. Work the putty knife under the edge of the plate and cut the seal all the way around. i found using two putty knives to work well. The plate has a tendency to pull tight again and restick so I inserted cardboard to keep the separation.

4. Do this on both sides.

5. Work your prying levers in and around to opposite sides.I had to use a paint scraper to pry the opening big enough for my levers.(Picture 1)

6. This was the part I was not certain about. The plate is on really tight. As well, some of the sealant may be on the back lip inside which is what I found (Picture 2). Finally, the magnets inside pull the plates down as well. Strong magnets. So you have to pry much harder than you might think.

7. Flip motor unit over and loosen plate on other side using putty knives. Pry apart to make sure you have broken the seal.

8. Put three soup cans underneath the motor making sure you do not pinch the wires (Picture 3).

9. Press down really hard on both sides of the rim. Don't let up. The magnet will pull it back together if you let up on the pressure before the rim fully comes off.

10. And you are done (Pictures 4 and 5)!

Pry.jpg

Rim Goop.jpg

soup.jpg

complete.jpg

Success.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...