Gotway Nikola 84V 2100wh

I am upgrading my Kingsong 16s. I had always thought the KS 18XL would be my next wheel. I had some email conversations with the people at eWheels and I am now considering the Gotway Nikola 84V 21000 wh.  I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this wheel, and I’m aware there was a recent battery related fire and are they the same batteries used in the 84V 21000wh version. 
Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne W.

8 minutes ago, Wig said:

I am upgrading my Kingsong 16s. I had always thought the KS 18XL would be my next wheel. I had some email conversations with the people at eWheels and I am now considering the Gotway Nikola 84V 21000 wh.  I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this wheel, and I’m aware there was a recent battery related fire and are they the same batteries used in the 84V 21000wh version. 
Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

According to https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-gotway-nikola-1600wh-battery-2000w-motor-3-wide-tire/ the 84V/2100Wh model has 180 cells. This gives ~3.1Ah per cell, so this should be 18650.

But this website seems to be not actual - as reported in 

ewheels recalled the 100v 21700 nikolas (?the battery packs) the replace the panasonic with LG cells, which was reported there to be the culprit according to GW?

Best to ask ewheels directly - they should know all the details!

The fire (whether it was battery-related or not, which is pure speculation at this point) was on a wheel with certain 21700 cells (that Gotway stopped using some time ago anyways). The 2100Wh Nikola uses 18650 cells which are proven good beyond any doubt, and these type of Gotway battery packs have been the most solid battery packs of all (across all manufacturers) with zero problems. Absolutely no battery worries there!

The 84V Nik is still a great wheel and the 2100Wh option gives you great range. It depends on the price how it compares to the 100V Nikola and other alternatives, but I assume it might be quite the bargain.

19 minutes ago, Chriull said:

84V/2100Wh model has 180 cells

It's 160 cells (8p) at 3.45Ah each. It's the normal two 3p battery packs like on a 1600Wh wheel plus an extra 2p pack in the top.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's 160 cells (8p) at 3.45Ah each. It's the normal two 3p battery packs like on a 1600Wh wheel plus an extra 2p pack in the top.

I was already a bit wondering, as 180 cells would lead to ~3.1Ah per cell - a bit a strange number.

So ewheels seem to have a typing error on their site: "2100Wh has 180 cells (19.8lb battery/60.4lb Wheel)"

Yea it's a typo. ewheels has plenty of them;) Doesn't matter.

It's a 1600Wh wheel with an extra Tesla battery (2p ~510Wh, two of which give the 1020Wh of the Tesla) on top. Not sure if the battery is custom shaped or literally the one also used in the Tesla.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wig said:

and I’m aware there was a recent battery related fire

I strongly support 

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

whether it was battery-related or not, which is pure speculation at this point

!

35 minutes ago, Wig said:

and are they the same batteries used in the 84V 21000wh version. 

So no - they have the old, stable and well known 18650 cells!

I'd assume that you know about the max speed (safety margin) difference of the 100.8V to the 84V version, which is exactly 100.8/84=120%.

But by the lower speed (high speeds eat battery) and the higher battery capacity it has much higher range!

Thanks for the replies, I’m leaning towards the Nikola because range is my number one priority and with a top end around 30 mph I feel that’s more than enough. The 16s has been a great wheel but I think a cruising speed around 25mph would be my sweet spot.