Liability insurance.

That is sheer craziness. My motorcycle doesnt even require insurance (nor my car/truck for that matter), if it isnt operated on public roadways or property. They'd have to ticket me and I'd have to lose in court, before I decide to leave the sport or buy insurance. I'd imagine the insurance companies will be pressing this as a requirement, once they realize what an euc is and that they can make $$ off of it. How do you insure a vehicle that is not registered? I'm not bowing down to this insurance requirement, sounds like the end of me having one, is near.  Insurance, taxes, licensing, registration... they all come as a packaged deal.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Robert Ryan said:

Turns out my state requires liability insurance for EUC, even if it goes under 25 MPH, even if not operated in the road. (EUCs are pretty new and the law hasn't yet caught up.) Does anyone know companies here in the states that sell it? Most of them have probably never even heard of this. 

Hi Michael, I'm in the UK so unfamiliar with the law in the USA, are EUC's legal where you are?

58 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Hi Michael, I'm in the UK so unfamiliar with the law in the USA, are EUC's legal where you are?

They're in a gray area at least for New York, the cops don't really seem to care and we have a huge rider base here.

Insurance is regulated on a state-by-state basis, but general policy types are pretty standard. Your insurance agent should be able to sell you an "umbrella policy" that would cover liability from the EUC, for example if you were to hit a pedestrian with it.

On 6/21/2020 at 1:47 PM, Michael Robert Ryan said:

Turns out my state requires liability insurance for EUC, even if it goes under 25 MPH, even if not operated in the road. (EUCs are pretty new and the law hasn't yet caught up.) Does anyone know companies here in the states that sell it? Most of them have probably never even heard of this. 

Time to move to NC!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 2:45 PM, Gasmantle said:

Yes, but you need insurance if operated on a public right of way. 

On 6/21/2020 at 3:45 PM, Blank said:

They're in a gray area at least for New York, the cops don't really seem to care and we have a huge rider base here.

Yeah, this is such an unusual thing I'm hoping that it's just kind of under the radar and I won't have any problems. 

• Like 1