Torn ACL and post op ACL and riding EUC

Ash_lee_g

Hey guys! So unfortunately I was in an accident a few months ago. I was hit by a car while riding my EUC. I suffered some trauma to my knees. I tore both ACLS and my meniscus in my right knee. I fortunately got my acl and meniscus repaired in my right knee. I'm still waiting to do my left. It's been about 3 months since my surgery and I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with something similar. How long was it before you rode again? When was it safe for you to ride again? 

Thanks a bunch, I hope to be riding again soon, but it just freaks my out a bit ya know? I'd hate to reinjured my knees because of the movements required to operate it. 

• Like 1

I think you have to listen to your body. If you can stand, put pressure on your recovering knee, and the vibrations don't bother you too much, then go for it but just start with a short, easy ride.

I had torn meniscus surgery twice on the same knee about a year apart. If I had an EUC at the time, I would have been on it in no time. But the ACL is a whole other level of trauma.

Be careful and don't rush it.

• Like 1

I tore the ACL and meniscus in my right knee in an EUC accident in March 2018. It took longer than I would have liked to recover, mainly because my first doctor didn't think surgery was required. It wasn't healing right though, so I went to another doctor and did get surgery in August of that year. After 8 months of physical therapy I started riding carefully again. You should definitely work hard at PT, it will make a difference in your endurance on the wheel. I just went for a 27 mile ride yesterday and the knee felt fine.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 7:05 AM, dmethvin said:

I tore the ACL and meniscus in my right knee in an EUC accident in March 2018. It took longer than I would have liked to recover, mainly because my first doctor didn't think surgery was required. It wasn't healing right though, so I went to another doctor and did get surgery in August of that year. After 8 months of physical therapy I started riding carefully again. You should definitely work hard at PT, it will make a difference in your endurance on the wheel. I just went for a 27 mile ride yesterday and the knee felt fine.

So you had to wait 8 months to ride? Was that what was recommended or is that when you felt comfortable to start doing so? 

Both ACLs torn from soccer many years ago. Had both reconstructed. So after many years, I picked up EUCs. I do occasionally have knee pain resulting from a loosening of the repair. If it gets bad, I use the RICE method and take it easy for a week. Unfortunately that's the way it is for me.

I can tell you that some wheels make my knees hurt more than others. Large diameter (like 18") seem to be worse for me. 16" works well. My Z10 is a little harder on me than the Tesla or Nikola.

Best of luck in your recovery!