How do you hold a 360 camera when filming?

Jonesq

I've been filming with a newly acquired GoPro Max on a 6 ft selfie stick but haven't figured out the optimal angle to hold the stick.

Can anyone provide any tips for what technique/angle they find gives the best result?

• Like 1

360 means you dont have to 'aim' it. I do keep mine a certain way tho, so the stitchlines stay, i put tape on the handle so I dont have to look to know. If you export using 'world lock', youll have to keyframe in EVERY turn you make, as the video auto pans itself to keep the same direction in view(very floaty). I use a max 360 on most of my videos and you can see the different locations/viewpoints.  I like the wide rider with background and the wheel shot. My favorite stick is the tripod/stick, it just hits the right size for me, to get all of me and the wheel in shot, but still fold small to get that ugly closeup. The gopro version uses magnets to keep the tripod closed. Of course it not the cheaper one. The audio is great, just set wind reduction on it. I choose to film with screen facing me, but as a 360 cam, it doesnt matter.  I think viewpoint is highly subjective. I sometimes wonder... how much better would my view be, IF i didnt put my ugly face in the shot so much?   I love my max, but I also really enjoy the hero7 quality. Just try different things, youll find what is your goto. The more I play with it, the more I realize that camera angles have to be pre-planned. Im not much a pre-planner for enjoyable hobbies, so usually i grab the one tri/stick and roll out. No muss, no aiming fuss. The longer sticks tho, you may as well make a plan and think about the shot, as its a pain to take them anyhow. I'm a comfort/enjoyment rider. If filming starts to get in the way of MY ride, I don't bother. Give the hero mode on your max a try too, as its better quality. Max quality in 360 is so-so. Its just the compromise you have to decide on. Fwiw, my little stick works great on regular shots, it really isnt too hard to set the angle and move it where you THINK it should be. These cams have such wide angles, its easier now. I have the smallest imperfection on my max lens. I NEVER set it down without the caps i keep in my pocket. I store it safely. I cant see it in the vid, but its there. GoPro insurance means I'd have to send it in and burn 1 of the 2 returns a year I can make. So be VERY careful, as I honestly have NO IDEA how mine got the blemish. You have been warned!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

On 5/15/2020 at 7:23 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

360 means you dont have to 'aim' it. I do keep mine a certain way tho, so the stitchlines stay, i put tape on the handle so I dont have to look to know. If you export using 'world lock', youll have to keyframe in EVERY turn you make, as the video auto pans itself to keep the same direction in view(very floaty). I use a max 360 on most of my videos and you can see the different locations/viewpoints.  I like the wide rider with background and the wheel shot. My favorite stick is the tripod/stick, it just hits the right size for me, to get all of me and the wheel in shot, but still fold small to get that ugly closeup. The gopro version uses magnets to keep the tripod closed. Of course it not the cheaper one. The audio is great, just set wind reduction on it. I choose to film with screen facing me, but as a 360 cam, it doesnt matter.  I think viewpoint is highly subjective. I sometimes wonder... how much better would my view be, IF i didnt put my ugly face in the shot so much?   I love my max, but I also really enjoy the hero7 quality. Just try different things, youll find what is your goto. The more I play with it, the more I realize that camera angles have to be pre-planned. Im not much a pre-planner for enjoyable hobbies, so usually i grab the one tri/stick and roll out. No muss, no aiming fuss. The longer sticks tho, you may as well make a plan and think about the shot, as its a pain to take them anyhow. I'm a comfort/enjoyment rider. If filming starts to get in the way of MY ride, I don't bother. Give the hero mode on your max a try too, as its better quality. Max quality in 360 is so-so. Its just the compromise you have to decide on. Fwiw, my little stick works great on regular shots, it really isnt too hard to set the angle and move it where you THINK it should be. These cams have such wide angles, its easier now. I have the smallest imperfection on my max lens. I NEVER set it down without the caps i keep in my pocket. I store it safely. I cant see it in the vid, but its there. GoPro insurance means I'd have to send it in and burn 1 of the 2 returns a year I can make. So be VERY careful, as I honestly have NO IDEA how mine got the blemish. You have been warned!

So my understanding is that you need to have the camera in line with the selfie stick so that the selfie stick stays in the stitch line and out of the video.

However, I'm a little unclear as to what angle to hold the selfie stick relative to the shot I want to capture. For example, if my goal is to shoot video of myself when riding, should I try to angle one of the lenses towards me to minimize distortion? In other words, is there an optimal position of the lens to minimize distortion (curving)?

On 5/15/2020 at 5:23 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

I have the smallest imperfection on my max lens. I NEVER set it down without the caps i keep in my pocket. I store it safely. I cant see it in the vid, but its there.

The glass used for the first lens element in Max is one of the hardest optical glasses available (that's not true for all the competition, as Rylo owners can attest to). It does seem strange you have damage given the care you've been taking.

Do you have a way to take a close up photo of the damage?

On 5/15/2020 at 8:33 AM, Jonesq said:

I've been filming with a newly acquired GoPro Max on a 6 ft selfie stick but haven't figured out the optimal angle to hold the stick.

Which selfie stick do you have? I have a 9-foot one, but it's too much (I'm not man enough to handle that much stick!). I also have the 3-foot GoPro El Grande, but I could do with something between these two. Can you post a link?

• Like 1

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/max-grip-plus-tripod/ASBHM-002.html

I have my doubts that the imperfection would show if i try to take a picture of it. THank you for your concern about it. I really dont know how that happened, but it is what it is. Not a big deal, as so far I havent noticed it when capturing video. I'll get out on a sunny day and see if i can make it appear.  The gopro stick in the link is my goto 9 out of 10 times.  Im not sure its worth their full price, but if you have their insurance, its definitely worth half price.   I too have an el grande. Its pretty neat, but not as easy as the shorter. Funny thing with the el grande, I had to modify the top of it, as the idiots at gopro made the mount in a way that wont hide with the max footag.  derp.

I dont have any sticks between the el grande and telesin 9'.   I have a myriad of them, but the max grip-el grande- telesin is pretty much my choices unless I want one of these floaties or shorter ones. Makes sense the el grande was PRE-360.  I like how tough it is, and once I modified it, it works just fine with the 360s and hero's.

On 5/18/2020 at 3:03 PM, Jon Stern said:

Which selfie stick do you have? I have a 9-foot one, but it's too much (I'm not man enough to handle that much stick!). I also have the 3-foot GoPro El Grande, but I could do with something between these two. Can you post a link?

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085HTFMDT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm really happy with it so far. The tripod attachment is has a locking mechanism and is also removable.

5 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

It says it extends to 36 inches, not 6 foot. 

I've read here that some people have modified their 9' telesin to a shorter length. Perhaps if you are looking for 6', this is an option? The telesin didnt seem overly expensive at least. YOU could always leave the last telescoping piece NOT telescoped and run some electric tape? THEN you could remove the tape and have a 9' stick again too?  Just tossing random ideas...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

It says it extends to 36 inches, not 6 foot. 

You're right. It's definitely 3 feet, not 6 feet. Sorry about that. No idea why I wrote 6 foot:confused1:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 7:38 PM, Jonesq said:

However, I'm a little unclear as to what angle to hold the selfie stick relative to the shot I want to capture. For example, if my goal is to shoot video of myself when riding, should I try to angle one of the lenses towards me to minimize distortion? In other words, is there an optimal position of the lens to minimize distortion (curving)?

You get very different footage depending on how you hold it, the field of view you choose in freecapture, etc. I find that holding the selfie stick perpendicular to my body/parallel to the road yields the bets results (for my preference). Holding it slightly angled downward works well too, I don't much care for the "drone view" (holding it over my shoulder), since it's difficult to find a balance between being more or less centered in the frame and not getting distorsion from the lens curvature (at least on the Insta 360 One X). 

When using the 6-foot pole, I don't pay too much attention to whether the lenses are facing (up/down v. right/left), unless i want to capture something on one side and want to make sure I don't get any stitching artifacts. As for the rest, it does a good job for the most part---the most notable "artifacts" (not sure whether to call them that) have to do with lighting, when one lens is in getting direct sunlight and the other one in the shade, so I try to position the camera so the side/stitching line is facing the sun. 

And with the 9-foot pole, it's definitely worth having the lenses facing to the sides (especially when off-roading), or with the camera's bobbing up & down, the selfie stick ends shows because it "leave the stitching line"