MSX motor break appart

On 5/9/2020 at 8:14 PM, Planemo said:

I didnt think it was fine though, it cracked the welds did it not?

It's easy to blend things together but it was actually @Yxzygäilijä who had the weld cracking problem. Different person, different problem, just happened to mention it in this thread 😉

To be honest I'm not exactly sure how it is that Gotway attach the disk to the collar but what every they do it doesn't appear to be welded and in my instance at least that part didn't actually fail.

Edited by Slartibartfast

• 7 months later...

I have a 100v MSX that has developed play in the pedals - and wondering if anyone can help me troubleshoot the issue.

My MSX is in very good condition visually (never take a big crash or hit), 500 miles almost exactly.  One moment it was working perfect, then suddenly there was play in the pedals going back and forth - it happened that fast.

One thing I noticed is when I shift the MSX back and forth by hand (holding the top handle) is that at the moment I reverse direction, it feels like something is shifting forward inside the wheel, then when shifting the other direction, it shifts back.  Originally I though a battery pack was loose, but that is not the case.  I took the wheel apart 4 times, double, triple checking the security of everything.  AND a loose battery pack doesn't explain play in the pedals (I would think).

So I fabricated the 24mm ratchet (cut out the notch for the axle wire) and was able to crank down each axle nut considerably - not sure exactly, but over half a turn on each side?  Quite a bit of movement - which had me optimistic when I put the wheel back together again.

But the problem is exactly the same - zero change.  Play in the pedals, feels like something is shifting back and forth when rolling the wheel back and forth by hand.

I posted here because it seems like this issue isn't loose axle nuts (maybe it still is?), and wondering if this set of issues brings up issues others have experienced - and fixed

Loose nuts are a good first thought. After a few MSupers with loose nuts, I've found that it's very hard to notice the slop when moving the wheel by hand, and really needs to be ridden to demonstrate the problem clearly.

FWIW the installation torque reported from Gotway is huge: 101 ft-lb for the center nut.
I wasn't comfortable going that high and settled for 95ft-lb on the 'solid' side of the axle, and 90ft-lb on the 'cable' side, with light hammering on the pinch wedges beneath the nut to seat the wedges until the desired torque is repeatable. This has been reliable for me.

You said yours was easy to notice by hand, and that tightening the nut didn't help. Might be something else.

The stub axle is keyed and welded to the stator hub, it would be impressive for so much material to break away...

The solid-side exposes the keyway:

ACtC-3fp72Cr3-bZ_fsjRqfjUMuSHEGL4QxOpJxA

The cable-side shows the weld:

ACtC-3dNi8X08jPBQQV5DqRd1ZOSsKHFL9ssQ1J1
(weld visible at the 'top' of the axle in this photo)

• Like 1