Nikola is hard to turn

Stillhart

So I'm trying to figure out why it's so hard to turn my Nikola.  I don't have a ton of miles on it yet, but part of that is lacking a little confidence due to it turning so oddly.  Maybe it's the gyro effect that people are talking about on the KS-16X or maybe I'm just too tense, but I find it much harder to turn than the E+. 

It almost feels like it turns opposite from the E+.  Like on the E+, I'd bend my outside leg (lift the heel), my body would stay upright and the wheel would tilt to the inside and go.  With the Nik, I find myself lifting my INSIDE heel, which puts weight on my outside foot and locks the wheel to my outside calf, then I lean into the turn.  Is that just a function of the Nik being so much bigger and wider that it can't flop around between my legs like the E+?

After having gotten used to the E+, I find it a little counter-intuitive and I'm wondering if that's just me or if I'm doing something wrong or what.

I think with Nikola being wider and heavier than you E+ your going to have to develop a technique that allows you to get the wheel from upright to leaned into the turn. Are you having issues with slower turns or more moderate speed? Like you, I've only had limited time on the Nikola ,basically because the weather has been crap and yesterday I rode the 18xl(like that wheel!). It turns very similar to my 18XL but more effort is required to get it to lean into the turn(combo of width and wider tire). On slower turns , I initiate the turn by "rolling" my inside ankle, which brings my inside knee away from the wheel. It's very slight, but it gets the wheel leaning into the turn. 

I'm very pleased how nimble the Nikola is at slower speeds. I have only 60km on it so far but it was really user friendly right from the get go. I think the more you ride it the more you will adapt to its dimensions and turning will become second nature!

Oh, did you get your cover yet?

Edited by bigwave
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigwave said:

I think with Nikola being wider and heavier than you E+ your going to have to develop a technique that allows you to get the wheel from upright to leaned into the turn. Are you having issues with slower turns or more moderate speed? Like you, I've only had limited time on the Nikola ,basically because the weather has been crap and yesterday I rode the 18xl(like that wheel!). It turns very similar to my 18XL but more effort is required to get it to lean into the turn(combo of width and wider tire). On slower turns , I initiate the turn by "rolling" my inside ankle, which brings my inside knee away from the wheel. It's very slight, but it gets the wheel leaning into the turn. 

I'm very pleased how nimble the Nikola is at slower speeds. I have only 60km on it so far but it was really user friendly right from the get go. I think the more you ride it the more you will adapt to its dimensions and turning will become second nature!

Oh, did you get your cover yet?

I think the slower turns are harder because locking and leaning (which is what I'm doing) is easier at speed.  What do you mean by rolling your ankle?

I got some emails that my cover landed in LA.  Should be here tomorrow hopefully!

Just now, Stillhart said:

What do you mean by rolling your ankle?

If I'm making a right turn for example, I "roll" or shift the weight to the outside of my foot(in this case right) which puts pressure on the outside of the(inside) pedal. This causes my knee to move away from the inside of the wheel results in the wheel leaning into the turn. Its very subtle but it works for me. Really it is just a "trigger" I use to initiate the turn. 

Another "trigger I use is feeling that the front corner of the inside pedal goes toward the ground. I do this a lot with the Mten3 to turn really tight. Ultimately , you want to get the Nikola from vertical to leaned over for a slower tight turn. I think its just a matter of you (and Me) being more comfortable with the wheel.:)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bigwave said:

If I'm making a right turn for example, I "roll" or shift the weight to the outside of my foot(in this case right) which puts pressure on the outside of the(inside) pedal. This causes my knee to move away from the inside of the wheel results in the wheel leaning into the turn. Its very subtle but it works for me. Really it is just a "trigger" I use to initiate the turn. 

Another "trigger I use is feeling that the front corner of the inside pedal goes toward the ground. I do this a lot with the Mten3 to turn really tight. Ultimately , you want to get the Nikola from vertical to leaned over for a slower tight turn. I think its just a matter of you (and Me) being more comfortable with the wheel.:)

Thanks, I'll try that and see how it feels.  I think you're right that at the end of the day it's just going to be getting used to the wheel.  It's just hard getting those miles in to GET comfortable when you're not comfortable, you know?  lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stillhart said:

So I'm trying to figure out why it's so hard to turn my Nikola.  I don't have a ton of miles on it yet, but part of that is lacking a little confidence due to it turning so oddly.  Maybe it's the gyro effect that people are talking about on the KS-16X or maybe I'm just too tense, but I find it much harder to turn than the E+. 

It almost feels like it turns opposite from the E+.  Like on the E+, I'd bend my outside leg (lift the heel), my body would stay upright and the wheel would tilt to the inside and go.  With the Nik, I find myself lifting my INSIDE heel, which puts weight on my outside foot and locks the wheel to my outside calf, then I lean into the turn.  Is that just a function of the Nik being so much bigger and wider that it can't flop around between my legs like the E+?

After having gotten used to the E+, I find it a little counter-intuitive and I'm wondering if that's just me or if I'm doing something wrong or what.

You purchase nikola 84v IS YOU FAULT. Deal with it. (joke) :roflmao:

Try inflate tire to 40psi or maximum what is recomended on tire KS16x example 35-45 psi. 

Psi have hudge impact to turning. Is most easy solution you can do now. After you take some style how to turn easy ,just deflate to PSI ideal for you.  

• Like 2

I find the Nikola quite easy to turn at low speeds. Please note that there are several ways to turn with a wheel. At low speeds I find that twisting your body is the easiest, I e you twist the wheel with your feet. At higher speeds you can put pressure on the inner pedal in order to get the wheel to lean, or as you say you can lean the leg against the outer side if the wheel and force it down. There are countless videos out there on different turning techniques.