Please, Wear a Full-Face Helmet

6 hours ago, chulander said:

I'm a bit confused at the particular response because it strikes me as a classic "curing the symptoms instead of the disease".

The proverbial disease here is the live-streaming activity that distracted the rider.

After the series of car accidents involving driving-while-texting, the morale of the story wasn't "and remember to always buckle up kids".

No, the morale of the story is FOCUS!

Live in the present and fully commit to the task at hand---especially if that task is intrinsically risky--and even more if its risky to others.

The root cause of this poor chap's injuries are not from the lack of protective equipment, it is from a lack of judgment. I know that comes off harsh but "gearing up" is becoming the end-all-be-all solution to every accident and the actual lesson is drowned out by the injuries and other noise.

I think two things can be true at once. 

You're entirely correct to criticize distracted riding and conclude that the injury that started this thread would not have happened had he not been streaming.

However, I don't think it's wrong to use any injury as a reminder to wear safety equipment. In your example of car wrecks involving distracted driving, I would absolutely say "this is why we buckle up" if one of the distracted drivers was thrown through the windshield! 

With that being said, I appreciate your point (along with a few others in this thread whom you are echoing) and agree that we should not gloss over the fact that he was riding distracted.

11 hours ago, Ghukek said:

I think two things can be true at once. 

You're entirely correct to criticize distracted riding and conclude that the injury that started this thread would not have happened had he not been streaming.

However, I don't think it's wrong to use any injury as a reminder to wear safety equipment. In your example of car wrecks involving distracted driving, I would absolutely say "this is why we buckle up" if one of the distracted drivers was thrown through the windshield! 

With that being said, I appreciate your point (along with a few others in this thread whom you are echoing) and agree that we should not gloss over the fact that he was riding distracted.

while two things can be true, I don't think they are equally weighted and in this accident, the order is also important.

in your example, I don't think you would prioritize "this is why we buckle up" before discussing the distraction aspect.

The rider's facebook posts---as well as his friend's follow up video message to everyone -- was the importance of "always gear up". 

If there was a product that enabled better decision making, I suspect the community would echo that sentiment instead since it's easier to "buy" something versus having to alter one's behavior.

I feel pretty confident saying even when fully-geared, this rider won't look down at his phone for a long; the PTSD is real.

Edited by chulander