Please, Wear a Full-Face Helmet

I fully agree with @Marty Backe as well. The little video I made the other day riding the Mten3 backwards was the minimum protection I would wear.Bell Mips Full face MTB Downhill Helmet, Knee pads ,elbow pads and wrist guards. I add a MX full face motocross helmet and hip, chest back protection on the 18XL. 

Its very easy to get complacent and overconfident. I feel this activity is definitely as "dangerous as you want to make it" but there are also factors(cars, people, potholes etc) that can  cause issues.

I would never ever call anyone out not wearing protective gear. If thats your choice , thats fine with me. 

Edited by bigwave
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I just came inside after riding up and down my driveway with no helmet. I fully agree Marty. Even short, slow rides can end up being catastrophic.  

We're all guilty of this. All I can do personally is strive to improve. I'm sure I'll still do some helmet-less riding but I'm going try and improve.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

We all make choices and are adults.

One of my less than safe choices is when I'm riding my motorcycle. In Canada ,we have helmet laws. I have been several times to Laconia Bike Week in New Hampshire and many ,many times to Sturgis Bike Week in South Dakota. Could not get that helmet off my head fast enough! The Wife too. Nothing better than riding through a canyon with the wind in your hair! Smart not really, Cool ,hell ya!!!! When in Rome......lol

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Dude the guy fucked up his face what the hell you talkin about????  We definitely do not need arrogant riders....

Which part of what I said is untrue? I've already had my teeth saved thanks to a normal (not full-face) helmet. In fact there is no way for my face to hit the flat surface and my helmet protrudes 4cm.

Full-face protects you well against curbs and bumps. I'm in no way saying "do not wear a full face helmet". I'm just pointing out that a normal helmet that's protruding enough also would've saved him, just like it saved me.

###############

Ok, I get it. I should've used Not really a full face was needed. :P

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigwave said:

One of my less than safe choices is when I'm riding my motorcycle. In Canada ,we have helmet laws. I have been several times to Laconia Bike Week in New Hampshire and many ,many times to Sturgis Bike Week in South Dakota. Could not get that helmet off my head fast enough! The Wife too. Nothing better than riding through a canyon with the wind in your hair! Smart not really, Cool ,hell ya!!!! When in Rome......lol

Risks accepting after weighing the costs/rewards are acceptable to me. I do get that making these decisions out of 'ignorance' is not the same.  Anyone who thinks an euc isnt dangerous, is fooling themselves. Anyone who thinks that a 30mph slam onto concrete with no gear, isnt likely to be catastrophic, is also fooling themselves. Its the ignorant that worry me. Those that recognize the risk and accept it, well... not me can be done about that. As my life winds down and the pinnacle of my youth fades, I find myself more willing to accept risk in order to live more. As a youth I was ignorantly accepting risk. As an adult, its not my ignorance but the realization that today was a good day, I'm not too worried about tomorrow.

• Like 2

So here is the post that show the result. 

Do not look if you issues with blood. Really do not look. 

I would also say it is very close in description of the accident on the fall to my shoulder accident. The major difference is I manage to twist and bend just a little trying to tumble but I couldn't make. So I hit shoulder straight on curb edge of granite stones. 

If I had not hard lvl 2 CE (D3O) shoulder pads on my shoulder would have shattered too. My accident was at 25 kmh. At 28mph the forces is much bigger. 

In general:

You really need to consider this when you ride. There is nothing hardcore or cool going fast imho. The cool part is enjoying a safe ride and getting from A to B every time.

As for hardcore part, test yourself how hardcore you feel after a serious fall at high speed. (Really, don't do it, please).

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Unventor said:

So here is the post that show the result. 

Do not look if you issues with blood. Really do not look. 

I would also say it is very close in description of the accident on the fall to my shoulder accident. The major difference is I manage to twist and bend just a little trying to tumble but I couldn't make. So I hit shoulder straight on curb edge of granite stones. 

If I had not hard lvl 2 CE (D3O) shoulder pads on my shoulder would have shattered too. My accident was at 25 kmh. At 28mph the forces is much bigger. 

In general:

You really need to consider this when you ride. There is nothing hardcore or cool going fast imho. The cool part is enjoying a safe ride and getting from A to B every time.

As for hardcore part, test yourself how hardcore you feel after a serious fall at high speed. (Really, don't do it, please).

IN general, theres also a flip side to that statement. THere is an entire community of people that think the excitement and danger is where they find the joy, more so than a to b. If a to b safely was the primary concern, why do we even stand on an euc, theres much safer alternatives. I do see your point and I understand it is the popular view for many. However, there is a BIG calling for free rock climbers , race car drivers, x-gamers and the like. Sometimes the journey IS the destination.  Going fast is VERY fun. Taking risks is VERY exciting. Paying the price is not fun. Read the medical sheet of most pro motorcross and pro skiers. If you ask them what they think about it, i'd bet they agree... the risk is what makes it what it is. Geared up or not, simply doing the activity is an unnecesary risk.  Of course, MOST people see it differently, but some people can definitely understand BOTH sides of the argument.  I live somewhere in the middle and some days i want to gear up and be safer, other days i want to push it, risk it and enjoy it. Some people get seriously injured over and over again, yet continue to do the same thing.  Its not alwayas because they fail to learn, sometimes its because they continue to think it was worth it... Personally, I'd rather die in a horrific crash, than barely survive one. Unfortunately, Murphys law usually doesnt let us walk out that way. My luck, Ima live to 110 yrs old, getting uglier every damn year. My euc is not a method of transportation, I already have plenty of those..safer, faster, more comfortable and more economic . MY euc is an outlet for adrenaline, fun, comfort,  escape and danger.  If i only cared about a to b, i wouldnt ride it, as my last 250miles on the euc has ended me up exactly where I started... everytime.

I am glad to hear that you survived your crash. I also am glad to hear that you had protection and are pleased that it helped. Please dont misunderstand me, I totally get it and medical/crash stats don't lie. Apologies if it seems like i was aiming at YOU personally. Most of this is general ramblings, please take no offense. I wont view you as 'better' or 'worse' because of what you wear. What makes YOU happy is what you should do, and I admire it when that happens. d30 padding is freaking awesome aint it?!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

IN general, theres also a flip side to that statement. THere is an entire community of people that think the excitement and danger is where they find the joy, more so than a to b. If a to b safely was the primary concern, why do we even stand on an euc, theres much safer alternatives. I do see your point and I understand it is the popular view for many. However, there is a BIG calling for free rock climbers , race car drivers, x-gamers and the like. Sometimes the journey IS the destination.  Going fast is VERY fun. Taking risks is VERY exciting. Paying the price is not fun. Read the medical sheet of most pro motorcross and pro skiers. If you ask them what they think about it, i'd bet they agree... the risk is what makes it what it is. Geared up or not, simply doing the activity is an unnecesary risk.  Of course, MOST people see it differently, but some people can definitely understand BOTH sides of the argument.  I live somewhere in the middle and some days i want to gear up and be safer, other days i want to push it, risk it and enjoy it. Some people get seriously injured over and over again, yet continue to do the same thing.  Its not alwayas because they fail to learn, sometimes its because they continue to think it was worth it... Personally, I'd rather die in a horrific crash, than barely survive one. Unfortunately, Murphys law usually doesnt let us walk out that way. My luck, Ima live to 110 yrs old, getting uglier every damn year. My euc is not a method of transportation, I already have plenty of those..safer, faster, more comfortable and more economic . MY euc is an outlet for adrenaline, fun, comfort,  escape and danger.  If i only cared about a to b, i wouldnt ride it, as my last 250miles on the euc has ended me up exactly where I started... everytime. Trying to be 'better' at gearing up can be construed as if you are being 'bad' by not. I dont see it either way. In the past i was turned off by a community of old man bikers that seemed to feel superior because they chose to wear TONS of riding gear and i chose to show in boots and a helmet. Perhaps i will always be a little judgmental because of that incident.  Being a 'better' rider is a good goal, but being a 'better' rider because you choose to wear more gear ALL THE TIME?

I am glad to hear that you survived your crash. I also am glad to hear that you had protection and are pleased that it helped. Please dont misunderstand me, I totally get it and medical/crash stats don't lie.

I don't care what people do in their back yard. Unless they are killing other people. Not cool (so joke off mode).

But what people do on public roads is a totally different matter.

First of all you have an obligatory not to risk people about you.

Secondly you are not in the public eye. What you reflect on fellow riders and the community. 

High profile accidents could inflict a ban very fast. Locally or country/state wise. 

Doing things in a remote location not risking anyone....well great area as when do someone suddenly appear your didn't expect.

End of the day public roads/traffic then we need to comply to these rules and laws not to get a bad reputation and being hunted by cups or traffic enforcement. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

he was silly, it was caused by a lack of concentration (to busy with his phone, theres a very good reason why it's illegal to use your phone when driving), also begs  the question how dangerous it is all theses riders who carry these selfie sticks and cameras, surely that's just as distracting? Anyway we could also get hit by a car crossing the road or falli down the stairs when going to bed if we ain't concentrating also ,, im not suggesting dont wear a helmet, it's entirely ones choice whether to gear up or not but i personally wear only a motorcycle jacket and wrist guards,  i don't wear a full face helmet i just ride accordingly because a full face helmet limits your vision and hearing aswell as affecting your sense of danger & speed, basically gives you a false sense of security,  the #1 safety device on a bike, euc or any pev is your hearing and peripheral vision - A full-face helmet impedes both.

The best advice for anybody is - Just watch the road ahead according to your traveling speed and be sensible. Prevention is the BEST form of protection

Edited by Dave Wood
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't want to watch this:ph34r: Could somebody tell me why he faceplanted? Was it the wheel itself or an external reason?

Your minimum gear is my gear!

Ever since I got my helmet, I don't want to ride without it at all. You get used to it and then feel unsafe without.

He was looking elsewhere and saw a bump but didn't derm it a risk. Then he faceplanted at 28mph (I think) directly on jaws first. 

The video above (Marty's post) don't show the result only the crash. Not really showing details. Doing live Facebook streaming as hi rides. 

But the link I posted to have a short video and intro still that does not look good at all.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

NOT wearing a helmet it public, is LESS physical risk on everyone else, unless you are focusing on financially. Having a helmet on INCREASES the risk of accident, but decreases the risk of personal severe head injury(increases injury risk to neck and back).  Lack of hearing, more weight, less vision, ALL are traits of helmets. Id rather get hit by someones soft head, than their heavy and big helmet. The risk to ME is greater when an object hitting me is larger and carries more mass.  Of course society bears the financial burden of those in major crashes, so a helmet will statistically save money in that regard.  The wheel getting away from you and being in an accident to begin with, is what endagers the public. You ride poorly and cause injury to someone else, it probably has nothing to do with helmet or not, unless lack of sound/vision in the helmet caused it.

Legally, you are correct. People are waiting for an excuse to ban or place restrictions on everything. High profile accidents give politicians fodder to work with. In the end, EUC's will be regulated heavily, and like every thing else in this world.. rules to tell me how to live, will ensue. No matter what, I know that laws will be put into place to 'protect me from myself'.  Being the black sheep I am, I will enjoy this how I can, until i am being forced to  change. Now theres laws in place in some countries that wont even allow an euc to go faster than 20kmh?  When they outlaw these in usa altogether, I will still ride the damn thing and pay my tickets. When they impound it from me, I'll build something else that feeds my need. 

You want risk? How about all these devices in cars and the way people endager each other everyday by using gps and phones and not paying attention. Lord forbid I endanger myself by not wearing a helmet. ..  Fukn selfie sticks are causing more accidents than not wearing a helmet. Of course, I carry one of those too. I do ride in an area where the person at risk is just me. Cars and me... we know whos paying attention and who will win! What IS the risk to a driver who runs over a fallen euc rider? Assuming they dont overreact, wil the car most likely grind the rider to pulp, but leave the car uninjured? I bet a helmet poses more damage to a car than my soft head :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Traffic safety organisations in general do not come to same conclusions on this side of the planet.

I think it is better to stop here as we are very clearly not on the same page @ShanesPlanet

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't want to watch this:ph34r: Could somebody tell me why he faceplanted? Was it the wheel itself or an external reason?

Your minimum gear is my gear!

Ever since I got my helmet, I don't want to ride without it at all. You get used to it and then feel unsafe without.

This is absolutely nothing disturbing in the video that I just posted, trust me. I don't like to watch that stuff too. He hit a speedbump that he thought was just a painted warning. He saw it in near distance but then stopped paying attention to.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bertrand One said:

If this had been someone crashing their car, bike, or any other vehicle, the focus would really be on the dangers of using phones while driving or riding.

Safety gear is important, but this is the kind of thing that happens when people are on their phones.

agreed.. of course i would never say that not having safety gear is better, but i think the number one danger to you is not paying attention.. this accident particularly could have easily been completely avoided had he been paying attention.. almost all crashes are due to people not paying attention and rarely a true failure of whatever they are actually riding.. worst case scenario where a crash is absolutely inevitable it will almost always be less serious and can be mitigated some by having the knowledge that you are about to crash.. your senses are the most important safety aspect of riding anything.. however, that being said obviously accidents happen to everyone or can be caused by something completely out of your control like being hit by a car or a wheel malfunction and thats where the safety gear comes into play.. it is a worst case last line of defense. PAY ATTENTION is the most important thing to come out of this video i think, not only do you endanger yourself but others around you if you are not vigilant at all times, an euc isnt just going to fall over to the side if you crash it has a good chance of continuing on and plowing into somebody (think new york riders crashing) or perhaps youre on the road and your wheel flys into fast moving traffic.... thats a quick ticket to ban town if there ever was one

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This is absolutely nothing disturbing in the video that I just posted, trust me. I don't like to watch that stuff too. He hit a speedbump that he thought was just a painted warning. He saw it in near distance but then stopped paying attention to.

i saw the actual video from the guy that crashed.. almost lost my lunch :barf: horrible

• Like 1