Custom sidepads for KS18 XL?

Mossi

Hello,

I want to try the 2.0 FW but I read that I will lose the option to tilt the pedals to a slight uptilt. This is a no-go for me because it is safety relevant. I like to go fast and I occasionally take hard bumps when accelerating. A slight uptilt prevent me from slipping off the pedals. With actual flat pedals they would be tilted to the front when accelerating and just the thought is life threatening. So without adjustments upgrading the FW is not an option. I thing the easiest way to achieve this would be custom sidepads, but I can't find any for Kingsong. So don't change a working wheel and stick with the old FW for ever?

Why do you think the new firmware doesn't allow uptilt? The calibration system seems the same, just make sure when you calibrate you apply the amount of uptilt you wish, I use a digital level placed on the pedal to get the 4 degrees I prefer.

Warning: I have only applied this new firmware yesterday and have not re calibrated for my preferred uptilt settings, so I certainly hope this is true!

And what does this have to do with custom sidepads? Your title should match your post?

Edited by bbulkow

In the 2.0 FW thread you can read that it won't work. If you apply tilt the wheel will flip out in corners and will do very strange things. In 2.0 FW the wheel must be exactly leveled.

My title match my post. Since tilt is not an option in FW 2.0 I need sidepads. I already explained why.

Edited by Mossi

its easy to just get some eva foam from anywhere, its what they use in yoga mats usually and all sorts of stuff, can get it on amazon if you cant find it locally though even here dollar stores and wal-mart carry it.. very easy to cut and shape and you can make your own custom thickness sidepad... i had never heard of this wheel tilt behaviour before? strange.. then again ive never tried it i have always had my pedals dead level and i remove the pads completely

• Like 1

KS themselves have mentioned that fw 2.0 can’t be used for personal tilt settings, but instead it must be calibrated perfectly level in all directions. One member used to calibrate to about 4 degrees, and the 2.0 totally lost the horizon when quickly turning the wheel 180•. I think he was able to make a one degree tilt to be manageable though.

While the 2.0 will prevent the ”safety angle” the op uses, the new firmware also doesn’t dip forward nearly as much as the 1.x did when encountering obstacles. That’s why I felt that it doesn’t actually even require a preliminary tilt. I used to calibrate to a strong ”safety tilt” myself on my 16S.

I like the fw 2.0 so much more on both the 16S and 18XL that I would just replace the pedal grip tape with a 40-60 grit sanding sheet to stop slipping, and calibrate the fw 2.0 to flat. Or maybe to a 1 degree tilt if it doesn’t behave too problematic.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

Thanks, I had missed the post saying that the riding characteristics are bad unless perfectly level.

Now I'm sad too, and will be looking for some lift I can apply.

Look forward to hearing about what you find.

Edited by bbulkow

1 hour ago, Mossi said:

Thank you, that are some pretty good tips. I'm gonna give it a try and get some sandpaper and maybe yoga mats. How could I attach them?

double sided tape.. some people use spray adhesive but that stuff is nasty and more expensive... if you want it to stick reeeeally well use double sided foam tape, i only do that if i know ill never want to remove something though because the residue when you rip it off is so hard to remove.. once again i can get these at the dollar store, not sure about there but surely it wouldnt be hard to find.. what you can do to get custom pads is just stack it on top of itself to make a custom shape (using glue) you know something like this picture but with foam.. it can also be painted. if you want some good pointers and tips how to use it there is a huge prop building community around eva foam people often use it to make full costumes for like comic-con and stuff so theres lots of info floating around about it

f7c3zlxem0f41.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/7/2020 at 4:16 PM, Mossi said:

Thank you, that are some pretty good tips. I'm gonna give it a try and get some sandpaper and maybe yoga mats. How could I attach them?

Have you ridden one with the new firmware, or are you assuming youll fall off the front? A valid concern, but perhaps it won't be as 'dangerous' as you fear? Ive a neprene cover on my wheel and it helps. I have also toyed with the idea of putting some 'kuji pads' under the cover. I like to ride fast and sometimes wished I had more leverage to accelerate. I'll try some more pads again, as its so easy to slip them under the rollnz cover and it holds them in place with just the tiniest bit of tape folded over on the back of the foam.

On 4/10/2020 at 9:16 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Have you ridden one with the new firmware, or are you assuming youll fall off the front?

Didn't try the new FW yet. Usually I don't grip the wheel with my feet except in offroad conditions. It has happened, that after a hard bump I could only keep on tiptoe on the pedals. I'm worried that it couldn't be enough without tilt. As soon as I'm cured from Covid-19 I'll ask a friend if he can stitch up some eva foam in leather, just like the picture from Rywokast.

I hear you on that. I fear being bumped off the pedals on the road at speed sometimes. Its very common to be so far up on my toes, that a small crack re-positions my feet and scares the holy hell out of me. Off road at speed and I keep a death grip with my ankles an knees when i can. I tried to put some pads on the front of my pedals, to give me better leverage under the balls of my feet and to allow me to stand back for better braking. I made a video.   spoiler alert... not a viable option. I think kuji's method of padding up custom spots is just the best way.  Fwiw, usually bouncing up and down when Im NOT leaning forwards, just moves my feet a tiny bit and back to the same spot. Its that pesky lean and bounce. I think that aside from using our legs, its just the nature of the beast. Perhaps a wheel with proper suspension will help minimze the feeling of loose feet, but hopes are plentiful, solutions are fleeting. Keep me posted how you get along with it. My next step... more padding UNDER the rollnz cover. The cover has the added benefit of holding pads in place with minimal tape and its soft. Overtime the pads will stretch the cover, so i better get it right. My fear of falling of the front, prompted me to buy yet another helmet, so it must be getting serious.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

5 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Keep me posted how you get along with it.

Yes I will. I also thought about getting a full face helmet but this will attract the police more than necessary. Riding an EUC in germany is a criminal offense.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I hear you on that. I fear being bumped off the pedals on the road at speed sometimes. Its very common to be so far up on my toes, that a small crack re-positions my feet and scares the holy hell out of me. Off road at speed and I keep a death grip with my ankles an knees when i can. I tried to put some pads on the front of my pedals, to give me better leverage under the balls of my feet and to allow me to stand back for better braking. I made a video.   spoiler alert... not a viable option. I think kuji's method of padding up custom spots is just the best way.  Fwiw, usually bouncing up and down when Im NOT leaning forwards, just moves my feet a tiny bit and back to the same spot. Its that pesky lean and bounce. I think that aside from using our legs, its just the nature of the beast. Perhaps a wheel with proper suspension will help minimze the feeling of loose feet, but hopes are plentiful, solutions are fleeting. Keep me posted how you get along with it. My next step... more padding UNDER the rollnz cover. The cover has the added benefit of holding pads in place with minimal tape and its soft. Overtime the pads will stretch the cover, so i better get it right. My fear of falling of the front, prompted me to buy yet another helmet, so it must be getting serious.

its so weird i have never once had this feeling on any wheel.. my feet stay very firmly planted where they are and i dont use any pads on either the wheel or myself haha, even unexpected bumps just bounce the wheel up and me with it, we must have a vastly different ride style, you will never see me leaning on any euc i only use my toes and for a bit of extra oomph i will bend my knees more shifting my weight forwards, but i will never lean like a plank thats just asking to die lol

I try to stay upright and bend my knees as much as possible. It just seems that 6'3" 135lbs into a 30mph wind up a slight hill and I have to grab like hell with the legs and push all i can. Even then, I sometimes find myself having to lean into the wind a little more than I'd like. It could be that Im just a terrible rider, very likely. I check my telemetry after rides, to try and get some insight into what im doing. I have such skinny legs, only my ankles and legs catch at the pads. Sometmes going uphill I can manage to grab the wheel with my knees, BEHIND the upper pads and that gets me some leverage. By the amount of wheels you have vs me, I'd bet my problem is something I'm doing wrong. At any rate. I am still trying things out. Heres my latest idea, I'll have to test it tomorrow if weather permits. I must admit, the euc cover DOES help me grab the wheel, its REALLY tough without it..

DSCN7850.thumb.JPG.c256b6d37abee5343068cb12ccc83c9a.JPGDSCN7849.thumb.JPG.5c91f64a888145a78bddbd744142bf04.JPGDSCN7851.thumb.JPG.f963ff7ebfbab4ce86032361fb28daa1.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet