Speaker swap question

Blicky Te⚡️la

As someone who has designed speakers I'll mention:
(in summary: replacing the drivers will probably result in worse sound)

The driver you list is a generic one, so sound quality of the driver is unknown.

I don't have an 18XL so don't know what the impedance of the existing drivers are. Generally they're 8 ohm to conserve power, and the ones you list are 4 ohm, which will draw about twice the power, depending on impedance factors designed around the OEM driver. The driver circuit could overheat and fail if the replacement drivers draw more than 30% of the rated OEM driver current.

The driver enclosure is designed to match the suspension stiffness of the driver. Replacing one driver with another generally makes the sound worse, for one of two reasons: If the enclosure volume is too big or the cone stiffness too soft the driver will have more movement and over-extend, possibly ruining the driver and the driver circuit. If the enclosure is too small or the cone stiffness too stiff the driver will have less movement and sound tinny and weak.

The real solution is to buy earbuds or an external speaker.

TaoTronics SoundLiberty 79 Noise Reduction Earbuds

JBL Charge 4 Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker

Hopefully this saves you time, money, and frustration. Cheers!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

As someone who has designed speakers I'll mention:
(in summary: replacing the drivers will probably result in worse sound)

The driver you list is a generic one, so sound quality of the driver is unknown.

I don't have an 18XL so don't know what the impedance of the existing drivers are. Generally they're 8 ohm to conserve power, and the ones you list are 4 ohm, which will draw about twice the power, depending on impedance factors designed around the OEM driver. The driver circuit could overheat and fail if the replacement drivers draw more than 30% of the rated OEM driver current.

The driver enclosure is designed to match the suspension stiffness of the driver. Replacing one driver with another generally makes the sound worse, for one of two reasons: If the enclosure volume is too big or the cone stiffness too soft the driver will have more movement and over-extend, possibly ruining the driver and the driver circuit. If the enclosure is too small or the cone stiffness too stiff the driver will have less movement and sound tinny and weak.

Wow. This is invaluable. 

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 11:24 AM, WI_Hedgehog said:

I’d also recommend these Bose Soundwear - perfect for bicycles, eucs, etc...works well with full face helmets too!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Don M. Schiewer said:

I’d also recommend these Bose Soundwear - perfect for bicycles, eucs, etc...works well with full face helmets too!

I haven't tried the bose version but I did try another cheaper variety and they worked perfectly at low speeds but I found above 20mph all I could hear was wind noise. There are bone conducting headphones which also allow you to hear stuff around you. I heard these were good but I haven't tried them.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I haven't tried the bose version but I did try another cheaper variety and they worked perfectly at low speeds but I found above 20mph all I could hear was wind noise. There are bone conducting headphones which also allow you to hear stuff around you. I heard these were good but I haven't tried them.

I am a huge fan of the aftershocks aeropex, they sound decent and fit comfortably in my TSG Pass. Which is pretty critical because in my other helmets they’re drowned out by wind noise anytime I go over 20 mph, they definitely do not help combat wind noise on their own.

As a bonus they’re doubling as a very comfortable headset for all the group calls I’m having to do in lockdown.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I use my Bose all the time and have no real problems hearing them with traffic, 20+ mph, and/or Full Face helmet...even podcasts are listenable for me. I’ve been curious about the bone conduction stuff but figured they probably wouldn’t mesh well with a full helmet. 

• Like 1