MSX Nikola headlight mod

Planemo

Not sure if this has been shown on the foum before but I can confirm the Nik headlight does indeed fit the MSX housing. You need very careful use of the Dremel though as the lip on the Nik light is only about 1.5mm. Also more material needs to be removed from the top of the plastic housing than the bottom so your new hole ends up being offset compared to the original hole. You cant use the original fixing screw as the support for it is ground away to make the new hole but some hot glue holds the light in just grand.

I also wrapped the bezel in 3M carbon as I hate shiny stuff :)

I havent compared the light output yet but I cant see it being worse than stock lol.

Edit: Pics removed - having a cull of my uploads to retrieve space.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 1

5v I guess but not 100% sure on that.

Just as a quick update, now I have this fitted I can report that the alloy housing also needs to be dremeled a little, as the bottom edge hits the top of the inside shell where it curves round the tyre. It doesnt need much, just a couple of mm off the edge and not enough to break through the light housing. It certainly chucks out more light, but I need to find a buddy with a stock wheel before I can take a comparison photo.

Edit: Pic removed - having a cull of my uploads to retrieve space.

Edited by Planemo

These headlights do get warm in use, so the hot glue might not hold it in place. But it probably won’t matter if the headlight already leans on the inner shell.

The headlight is provided with 4.5-5V, but it dropped significantly when I connected it to a more powerful LED. So the source has quite a low amp limit.

Yeah cheers for that, I did think to myself I should have araldited it in after I put it all back together! I'll see how it goes, if it falls out I will update. Hot glue seems to usually soften at a minimum temp of 65 dec C but some go to 135 deg. I have no idea what mine is!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I wouldn't fancy short circuiting anything on a Gotway! Theres very few safety measures built into either the wheel or motherboard (and no fuses present anywhere) so that along with the constantly live charge circuit means you have to be especially careful with Gotways.

I think all GW boards have the additional 5v and lift switch ports. But they do change location depending on what version board you are working with so again you need to be careful. Pictures and locations have been posted on this forum before.

• 6 months later...