GotWay MCM2s high speed tilt

Mono

From the posts I have seen in this forum there seems to be a consensus that the GotWay MCM2s doesn't have a safety tilt feature. It turns out that mine does have one. The tilt does not come as a tilt back, but rather as a tilt forward. That means, when getting into over-speeding the wheel starts to tilt forward, or, in other words, the wheel starts to feel (much) softer, or, in other words, more tilt is necessary to keep the same speed or acceleration. I automatically reduce speed when I start to feel the softening. I have observed this consistently either at high speed or when riding on heavy cobblestones or rough surfaces. It seems like the wheel is going temporarily from madden mode (which I use) into soft mode.

Hello, (Sorry for my english ...)

I do ride an MCM2S and I confirm Niko's report. Transient soft mode on cobblestones ... I often ride in Versailles Palace parks and there are a lot ... I also confirm that there is an "urgency tilt-back", specially when the battery is full-up, and at the very beginning of a ride, you attempt to fill it up when going down a slope. Urgency bips and the "correct" tilt-back, telling you that you need to stop. I guess the motor is simply stopping a few seconds after ... Caution !

1 hour ago, Alcatol said:

Hello, (Sorry for my english ...)

I do ride an MCM2S and I confirm Niko's report. Transient soft mode on cobblestones ... I often ride in Versailles Palace parks and there are a lot ... I also confirm that there is an "urgency tilt-back", specially when the battery is full-up, and at the very beginning of a ride, you attempt to fill it up when going down a slope. Urgency bips and the "correct" tilt-back, telling you that you need to stop.

Out of symmetry considerations this could be the very same mechanism at play: while under acceleration going into a softer mode results in (more) tilt forward, under breaking it results in (more) tilt back.

13 hours ago, Niko said:

From the posts I have seen in this forum there seems to be a consensus that the GotWay MCM2s doesn't have a safety tilt feature. It turns out that mine does have one. The tilt does not come as a tilt back, but rather as a tilt forward. That means, when getting into over-speeding the wheel starts to tilt forward, or, in other words, the wheel starts to feel (much) softer, or, in other words, more tilt is necessary to keep the same speed or acceleration. I automatically reduce speed when I start to feel the softening. I have observed this consistently either at high speed or when riding on heavy cobblestones or rough surfaces. It seems like the wheel is going temporarily from madden mode (which I use) into soft mode.

I dont understand this. Why is it tilting forward??? It should tilt back to make your heels press on the back of pedal to make it slow down. If it tilts forward it is causing you to inclice forward more and accelerate! This doesnt make sense,. Unless like you are saying it just changes the mode to soft but i do t see how this would work as a safety feature

On 11/11/2015, 3:07:56, Cloud said:

I dont understand this. Why is it tilting forward???

I guess because it seems to be a reasonably effective method to catch the riders attention and let him slow down. At least it works for me.  Or, because it changes into soft mode which will cause a tilt forward (assuming constant speed on a flat surface).  

It should tilt back to make your heels press on the back of pedal to make it slow down. If it tilts forward it is causing you to inclice forward more

that's what I meant with tilt forward, being synonymous for incline forward. Though it's hard to talk about cause and effect, because it is also the rider doing the tilt (as with a tilt back). The wheel just changes its reaction to a tilt, or non-tilt, which then causes the rider to assume a different tilt to keep the wheel going as desired.

and accelerate!

no, it doesn't accelerate, which is somewhat the point. One gets the same acceleration with a steeper inclination, which feels as it would tilt forward, which also is what actually happens (unless under deceleration where it results in a tilt backward).

I have following experience with my msm2s 680wh: I was riding down the long, steep hill on the full battery, (ALL DEFAULT MODE )! riders weight 60 kg. I done about one kilometer then i felt, that my wheel tilted back very significantly ( changed its character)I ignored that, but I intuitively decreased my speed and after about a minute there was a bit steeper and the wheel suddenly turned off its regenerative brake, you know.... I was able to jump back on the ground and grab the belt ! There was no any beeping before it happened!! Since that time I go down steep hills really slowly, as there is no guaranty that the brake will be working in these circumstances and you could stop quick and safely in case of the emergency. After that I tried the same hill on about 90% of battery, same speed about 5km/h going down many times and it never happened again. Probably there was primitive overcharge protection, not sure. I think msm2s is fantastic mashine anyway! I would be happy to answer any questions. Sorry about my bad English.

Archived