Living off grid with a wheel and only solar ?

Wonderwebb

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2020 at 12:50 PM, Jean Dublin said:

I think the electric unicycle could act as the power bank for the RV, to power anything needed (charging phones, others), rather than buying an expensive Li-ion power station with plugs on it and less battery than these wheels.

There are no DC->AC converters that take 100V as an input. They all work on 12/24/48V. Especially since 2kWh isn't that much.
Maybe as an emergency, to charge batteries in a pinch...

But honestly, in an emergency I'd rather use something like Honda EU30i (gasoline generator) and leave the EUC charged to have mobility...

Also, connecting solar to a 100V battery is a PITA. There are no off-the-shelf solar charging controllers for that.

Edited by atdlzpae

7 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

There are no DC->AC converters that take 100V as an input. They all work on 12/24/48V. Especially since 2kWh isn't that much.
Maybe as an emergency, to charge batteries in a pinch...

But honestly, in an emergency I'd rather use something like Honda EU30i (gasoline generator) and leave the EUC charged to have mobility...

Also, connecting solar to a 100V battery is a PITA. There are no off-the-shelf solar charging controllers for that.

I see, that's interesting. 

I wonder if in China they would be able to adjust to your needs though, same as they do with chargers. 

China is good for cheap, mass-produced goods. A DC->AC with custom input voltage will cost quite a lot, no matter where it's made.

I opted for 24V for my powerwall. The voltage range fits perfectly to 7 li-ion in series (li-ion - 21V - 29.4V, inverter - 21V - 29V).

Edited by atdlzpae

I have been in this thinking for a while too. A KS 16X (1554 wh) can take you 70km about, as a reference. To charge it vs ride is what I have been a total nerd on for about two months back. (not only the 16X) A small battery pack gains faster, than a huge battery. All in all it comes to speed. Low speed takes you longer (obviously) and the charging can be faster compare in time to the riding. Solar? Well, let say 84v charging, at 3A that might be two good solar panels 260w -300w at 8A to cover a mean-line charging. (close to average) and preferably doing that over 8 hours, (estimate), you can run for let say 4 hours. Makes 18km/h roughly. Of course this might work, but you will drag with you at least 45kg of normal panels, or 11kg, home made DIY light panels (w/o glass). What is needed is a 130+% over calculated power input to maintain this thing indefinitely. Im confident it is doable. However,... as I see it from my point of view, it is like moving towards a Mad Max scenario with high tech that we do have today, towards a weird form of transportation. I do like the idea. however, any E-skate will beat this calculation within a heart beat. Now, I am a EUC rider so E-skate is out of this calc. :)