Mten3 over the Brooklyn Bridge

BahaUnicycle

Hi I'm a relatively new rider and got the ninebot one e+ last September and use it to ride over the Brooklyn bridge a few times a week. I've outgrown the speed limit of about 14mph and bikers passing me on the way down after I zip past them on the way  up while my euc is beeping annoyingly and tilting me back.

I want to upgrade to the mten3, one of the sub1k models and im a little concerned that the ten inch may have problems on the wood slats on the Brooklyn bridge. Does anyone have any experience riding there mten3 over the brooklyn bridge specifically or a similar bridge with constant bumps.

Thanks in advance

It’s not that you can’t do the Brooklyn Bridge on the MTen3, it’s more would you even want to, considering today’s wheel options?

I rode my old MTen3 every week in NYC Midtown for almost a year just fine, but determined I hated the extra stress in paying attention to potholes that such a small wheel diameter necessitates, stress that I do not have on any of my other bigger diameter wheels.

If you’re fine with the extra vigilance needed and trading that for the size and weight, then the MTen3 will be fine. But for me, I’d rather add the slightly extra weight of a 14” and ride more comfortably.

• Like 2

I don't know the severity of the roughness of the wood slats, but the gyro sensor can get spoofed by continuous bumps, particularly on small diameter wheels like the Mten3. The effect is that the pedals will start to tilt forward more and more. Basically the opposite of tilt-back.

Here's a video of mine that demonstrates the effect:

• Like 1

Wow the tilt forward is interesting. I think your video definitely captures what it's like over the brooklyn bridge.

I'll take you guys' advice and look into another wheel. I really really wanted a light wheel for days when it's too wet or snowy to ride the bridge (wiped out before) that I could hop the subway and be able to take it up and down the stairs easy but the search continues. 

• Like 1