Diff between KS-14D & KS-14SMD

vasuvius

It's not quite like that...

King Song make 3 different 14" wheels;

• 14M - no BT and only one battery
  • 14D - with BT and two batteries
  • 14S - with BT and two bigger batteries

Basically they are all a 14D, except the entry-level 14M is a "stripped back" version and the 14S is a fatter version (to fit in more battery cells).

The key point is that they all use the same control board, which is subsequently named 14SMD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, vasuvius said:

Hmmm. 

In the app I see

Model: 14-SMD

Name: 14-SMD-0109

Serial Number: KS14D*******

It has BT. Is this the one with 2 batteries or 2 bigger batteries ? 

It's a 14D, which would mean your battery capacity is most likely 420 Wh (though there is a 340 Wh version too).

The 14M is identical to the 14D, but the 14S is noticably different - rather than smooth sides, they bulge out as there are literally twice as meany cells inside (giving a capacity of either 680 Wh or 840 Wh).

This is a 14D (or 14M):

king-song-14d.jpg   king-song-14d.jpg   king-song-14d.jpg

And this is a 14S:

king-song-14s.jpg   king-song-14s.jpg   king-song-14s.jpg

I'm sure you will be able to confirm which model you have from that.

What you can't tell looking at the 14S images is that the pads aren't any thicker - other than the top third the padding is only about 2 mm thick as the plastic of the shell extends outward to make room for the batteries.

The motor and control board are the same in each. And (other then the physical aspect), the only differences are that the 14S has more available power (as sometimes needed by Fat Unicyclists) due to having more cells in parallel and also more range.

• Like 1

I may be wrong, but KS-14SMD is a unified firmware for wheels with newer controller board variant that is common to all three models. Still, exact model name and battery variant is encoded into serial number, so firmware "knows" remaining hardware and behaves accordingly.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Seba said:

I may be wrong, but KS-14SMD is a unified firmware for wheels with newer controller board variant that is common to all three models. Still, exact model name and battery variant is encoded into serial number, so firmware "knows" remaining hardware and behaves accordingly.

Yes, that is my understanding too.

• 10 months later...