Tire wobble

Skecys

Hi guys;

I have been having some issues with my KS 16x as of late. Seems mine was built on Monday.. -_-. Been having a calibration issue and after contacting my dealer they said they will replace the motherboard. They gave me the choice of sending the wheel back or just sending me the board. Since my wheel has a couple of other, less significant issues, I was getting evidence so they could possibly fix everything in one go if I do send it back (shipping costs me about 90 euros).

I knew my tire had a slight wobble but I rode it for well over 200km since I got it, without much perceivable trouble. Now that I filmed it, it looks worse then I thought and might explain the wobbles I get on heavy braking. What do you guys think, is this "within spec" or not? The rep suggested it might be the valve sticking out too much but I think the entire unit should wobble if that was the case, not just the tire.

Edited by Skecys

A video where everything else doesn’t move as well would make it slightly easier to judge, but based on your video I’d say that the deviation is a bit larger than usual, but not uncommon or alarming. Nothing that a proper re-seating of the tire can’t fix.

Unless the rim is badly centered as well, that would be a totally different issue. Worth checking.

Maybe set the camera to shoot the rim as closely as possible, 1) switch off the motor lift disengage and lift the wheel, or 2) set the wheel on two chairs, tire hanging in between. Then let it accelerate slowly while keeping the EUC as still as possible. Any alarming movement would surely show up.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

A video where everything else doesn’t move as well would make it slightly easier to judge, but based on your video I’d say that the deviation is a bit larger than usual, but not uncommon or alarming. Nothing that a proper re-seating of the tire can’t fix.

Unless the rim is badly centered as well, that would be a totally different issue. Worth checking.

Maybe set the camera to shoot the rim as closely as possible, 1) switch off the motor lift disengage and lift the wheel, or 2) set the wheel on two chairs, tire hanging in between. Then let it accelerate slowly while keeping the EUC as still as possible. Any alarming movement would surely show up.

Thanks for your reply,

I have made another video after reading your comment. It's a bit of a wonky setup but the best I can do at the moment :wacko:. Seems to me the hub/rim is stable, it's only the tire that is really misshapen.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

i remeber I have same issue on v10F after deflate to zero and manualy fix bad positions on rim this tire woble stop be noticeble. Tire was deformed becaue amost no air  when i open box with my unicycle. 

On 1/9/2020 at 7:33 PM, Skecys said:

Thanks for your reply,

I have made another video after reading your comment. It's a bit of a wonky setup but the best I can do at the moment :wacko:. Seems to me the hub/rim is stable, it's only the tire that is really misshapen.

You are right, I can’t see the rim being off center in any direction. A badly seated tire is a common issue, so lots of instructions are available at the forum:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/search/?q=Seating tire&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

IIRC the inner tube valve position on the 16X is such that it tends to force the tire off center, so it creates a hump at the valve area. So when you inflate after a deflate, you will probably have to repeatedly push the tire inwards at the valve.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

Definitely needs seating, lower the pressure and eye up the line on the side of the tire and also where the wheel is not aligned. Either push it in or pull it out until it's square. For the valve push it in slightly so the tyre can seat true and then pump it back up, the valve can then push itself out, maybe not as far as normal if the tyre restricts it, but the tyre will be true.  

I also went a stage further to reduce braking occasional wobbles and static balanced the wheel. Used kitchen scales and some wood (there are some videos on YouTube). Added two 8g wheel weights on either side of the rim and balance is much better and smoother. Get hardly any vibration when on my stand now at 20mph on the app.  Rides much smoother too.

• Like 2