Thoughts from an analog unicyclist

night_ombudsman

1 hour ago, night_ombudsman said:

Hi, I just returned from my first attempt at riding an EUC. I've never ridden an electric vehicle of any kind besides a hybrid car, and I've only seen a glimpse of a EUC in the wild.

I've been riding a 36"-wheeled unicycle for ~20 years, though. For me, the thrill is in forgetting my legs are working away, and feeling as though I'm floating along the ground. I can usually maintain 12-15 mph, with bursts up to 18ish.

Now I have an 84v MSX. I was able to freemount after 10 minutes and ride 2 km around a parking lot. It's an entirely different muscle group used for EUCs, and it feels like someone took a sledgehammer to my shins. Taming the wobbles was a good exercise in relaxation.

Once I got cruising, it was obvious that this does capture that feeling of floating, but now with the responsibility of 2+ horsepower and 1.6 kWh. It almost feels like I'm exploiting a GoBot that's stuck between forms.

Anyway, what a time to have a vestibular system! Cool community y'all got here.

The sore shins will go away after you learn how to balance comfortably without death clenching it between your legs.  It will come naturally with time.  Just don't over-do it at first while learning or you may end up with some gnarly bruises and have to take longer breaks.  

My advice for what helped me learn the dynamics the most quickly was to just practice carving back and forth and learning to become comfortable with shifting your weight.  Eg carve to the left and put more weight on your left foot and vice versa, start with very shallow carving and push it a little more and more each time you start to feel comfortable.  Get a feel for how the wheel behaves when you lean into the carves, vs standing upright, vs leaning forward while doing it.  This is the quickest way to get accustomed to being balanced without feeling the need to grip the wheel at all between your legs.

Edited by MrRobot
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

The sore shins will go away after you learn how to balance comfortably without death clenching it between your legs.  It will come naturally with time.  Just don't over-do it at first while learning or you may end up with some gnarly bruises and have to take longer breaks.  

My advice for what helped me learn the dynamics the most quickly was to just practice carving back and forth and learning to become comfortable with shifting your weight.  Eg carve to the left and put more weight on your left foot and vice versa, start with very shallow carving and push it a little more and more each time you start to feel comfortable.  Get a feel for how the wheel behaves when you lean into the carves, vs standing upright, vs leaning forward while doing it.  This is the quickest way to get accustomed to being balanced without feeling the need to grip the wheel at all between your legs.

Thank you for the tips! As for the shins, it's just anterior shin splints from repeated mounting attempts and flailing at low speed. Somehow the death grip was not an issue, but that seems valuable advice I'll keep in mind next time.