My first fall. Black Ice.

4 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Has anyone not fallen from wet leaves?

I might be overly cautious on wet leaves, and I haven’t slipped on them even once during my 4 years of riding. Then again, maybe that makes me just enough cautious.

I now ride with an extremely soft knobbly CST C-186 tire, which grips like crazy even in the craziest of circumstances. It has given me enough confidence even to speed straight through patches of thick layers of wet leaves at up to 40km/h. But I still slow down to a crawl if I’m cornering on them, since I’m not sure if the tire makes much difference when I’m riding on top of a layer that can easily slide around, like a carpet on ice.

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I now ride with an extremely soft knobbly CST C-186 tire,

Does it wear out pretty quickly? I've been reading that some tires don't last very long if you ride them on pavement, which will always be a substantial part of my commute.

3 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Does it wear out pretty quickly? I've been reading that some tires don't last very long if you ride them on pavement, which will always be a substantial part of my commute.

Don’t know yet, I’ve only had it for about 500 miles. But since it has tall knobs, there is many times the amount of rubber of an ordinary tire to wear.