Airwheel A6s new rider

Dave B

Hi

I am new to this site and new to Airwheel.

Can I ask does anyone have any experience with this machine?

My main concern is that the electronic brake mentioned in the user manual does not in effect work as a brake, in an emergency it would not stop you?

Is this correct as my supplier is telling me or is this a fault and can it be repaired?

Any tips on how to descend a steep slope in safety and with dignity would also be welcome.

https://www.airwheel.net/manual/Airwheel_A6s_series_user_manual.pdf

Who ever thought a self-balancing (= inherently unstable) wheelchair (right?) was a good idea? Maybe it is, I don't know.

2 hours ago, Dave B said:

My main concern is that the electronic brake mentioned in the user manual does not in effect work as a brake, in an emergency it would not stop you?

What is your concern exactly?

• There's no separate brake, that makes no sense with a self-balancing vehicle (a separate brake would make you fall over as soon as you activate it, because you're leaning in the movement direction but the vehicle can no longer follow you). It's just the motors braking. But braking has no battery limitation (unlike acceleration), so (more or less) the only limit is the short-term motor strength. That is quite high even for "weak" motors, especially at the lower speeds of this thing. So I would not worry that the "brake" will give up on you in this regard, unless you're very very heavy.
  • How the "electronic braking" works is that it is the same as tiltback on an electric unicycle. The vehicle overtakes you, which then leans you back, which makes you brake. So it is a button that shifts your weight back, and then you brake just like if you just moved your weight back on your own.
    Are you worried that this mechanism will not work in an emergency braking situation? It is indeed stupid because by principle the vehicle has to accelerate first (and overtake you) before it can slow down. Are you worried that this somehow might be a problem?
2 hours ago, Dave B said:

Any tips on how to descend a steep slope in safety and with dignity would also be welcome.

I don't have a good idea here other than try it. Wear a helmet, find a slope, and ride down (slowly). If the braking doesn't work, you'll fall over backwards. Unless you somehow manage to balance yourself on the vehicle and it rolls down the hill faster and faster, then you'd just have to fall over backwards on purpose to stop you. But realistically as soon as the Airwheel doesn't have enough power downhills, you just fall backwards.

-

Short answer, braking on EUCs has never been a problem, even weak EUCs brake surprisingly well. I cannot see braking being a problem on this slower, dual-motor vehicle, at least the technological side:)

Warning: I'm just arguing from EUC experience, no experience with this Airwheel A6s.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

I have an Airwheel A3 with an emergency break button. As meep explained, a self-balancing vehicle can’t just brake or accelerate at will, it has to have a balance for both actions first. Meaning, to accelerate, the center of gravity must first be in front of the axle, and behind it to brake. Applies to all self-balancing vehicles.

When I press the brake button on the A3, the wheel accelerates fast enough that even if I was leaning forward at the moment for acceleration, the A3 rushes forward enough to force me leaning backward. Which it then has to balance by braking.

I suspect that the brake on the A6S works in an identical manner. I have no reason to doubt it’s effectiveness or function, since it has worked flawlessly on my A3 in various situations.

The dealer might generalize the behaviour as illogical for a self-balancing newbie, hence the warning. Using the brake might require more space than the rider expects, etc.

I also have trouble understanding what would make the A6 better than a regular non-balancing compact electric wheelchair. Smaller footprint, but nothing else. Or just for the sake of new technology?

• Like 1

Hi Thanks for your replies, I have tried the brake on a couple of occasions and it is described in the users manual as an electronic brake which is a button on the joystick, it failed on both occasions, resulting in a near miss with a pedestrian first time and on descending a steep slope put me on my back.  

I have also been stopped by two police officers that actually had a go of the A6s both commented on its fun value and on the lack of function of the brake on the joystick..... guess I need to resolve this for that reason alone before I bump into them again.... small town its going to happen.

I am disabled by two things 1) stage 4 lung disease, 2) a form of neuropathy in my legs.

I am only 56 and a wheelchair/powerchair was not what I wanted, the A6s is more manoeuvrable and more appealing than most disability chairs available, also this A6s  was sold to me as a class 2 mobility device if this is not suitable for that purpose then I guess it will have to go and be replaced with a powerchair.

• Like 1

It would seem the brake shop stop me according to airwheel.net, back to the supplier whom whilst browsing on here is know to Nic but is now selling through ebay in the name of barto_bedna, now that discovery has really filled me with joy.

Dear Customer,

If your button cant brake stop then you may need to replace the mother board.

It may difficult to replace that board because it is a difficult job. If you have another joystick we suggest you can replace a joystick to have a try.

Regards,

Emily

Airwheel Holding Limited

Changzhou Airwheel Technology Co., LTD

Fl. 5, East of No.10 Building, High-Tech Park, Xinbei District, Changzhou, Jiangsu, China 213022