MCM4 Motor Problem?

Greger

My Gotway MCM4 is not working any longer. On power on, I get 5 short beeps, and if I manually turn the wheel, it moves in jerks. I would really appreciate any hints on what could be wrong and how to fix it!

Short background: I was standing still on the wheel (power on, holding on to a fence), when I got a cracking sound and the behavior described above.

First i will try to test hall sensors in motor, plug in voltage 3v - 5v and chceck hall sensors output. If any hall sensor will be broken you need to have some skills to change broken part.

45 minutes ago, Greger said:

Question: would really the hall sensors affect the wheel when it’s not powered up? If I roll the wheel when turned off, it sort of moves between set positions.

That symptom means that two or three of the motor wires are shorted together. Classic symptom of a fried control board.

If mosfets are burned (short circuit) you will have resistance when you try to spin motor, resistance will gone when you disconnect motor coil wires.

OK, found one here, I think: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832739505.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.54a4d0f5wnrZdn

Any way other than visual inspection I can check if it really is the control board? Spending $140+ without being sure is kind of pricey :)