Stability = big wheel ?

Finn Bjerke

My first real wheel should be fast powerfull like me, but more stable than I am. So I was (naively?) Thinking big wide wheel = more stability.  Is there some truth to that ? Or am I simplifyng things ?  Sorry if its a dumb Q but I have tried to ressearch it...

Edited by Finn Bjerke
  • Like 1

From my experience on a few wheels ; 14", 16" and 18" , bigger is definitely better. However, my 18" is not as nimble as my 16" was, however the trade off for having a bigger wheel is worth it (my 16" would more easily slide on mud, but my 18" takes a bit more work to turn). And my 18" is not quite as portable as my 16" was.

It may also depend on your physique and personal preference.

In general, for me...any of these alternative transportation devices all boil down to wheelbase. Small wheels are just not worth it. Hitting the 16" or 18" size makes a big difference.

edit: 3 typos due to word correction...really?

Edited by Circuitmage
  • Like 1

The size/weight of the rider probably plays a part in what size wheel to get. Road quality as well.

A 16 inch wheel for a "skinny chinese adult" could be like a highway speed machine compared to an 18 inch for a large westener that feels like just the right balance between mobility and speed.

• Like 1