Kingsong buzzing when accelerating (and randomly)

null

Is there anything that can be done about it? On both my 16S and 18XL the buzzing when accelerating (and most riding time except high speed) is so strong I feel it as a vibration in my feet.

not sure if it is PWM harmonics as the vibration can be there or not at the same speed. It’s also pretty much the same at most speeds, while the PWM should variate. It can also be felt when rolling the wheel powered off. 

Maybe I’m being the princess on the pea here, but I find it highly annoying to ride around on a vibrator, especially when it costs as much as a French 18XL.

im considering opening the motor to check whether anything can be done about it..

Edited by Mimolette

What about other shoes with a softer (gel) sole?
Motors are also held with rubber bearings, so why not improvise the rubber with a suitable shoe sole? :)

For example, I wear Asics GT-2000 (only GEL in Rearfoot) or Asics Kayano (with Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL Technology) and even notice a big difference between these two shoes while riding EUC.
So if you wear shoes that have no cushioning, could this be the easiest, if not the most beautiful, solution for you?

• Like 1

Thanks for the alternative method, I appreciate the thinking outside the box :)

I’ll tu to dig around for solutions, as it bothers me also for electronics wear (the vibration) but if there is no way to fix the issue I’ll have a closer look at gel shoes 👍🏻

You could also let the EUC run in the lifted position and see if the vibrations disappear.
Then it could also be the tire.

Were the vibrations still present when new, or did they come later?

Edited by buell47

When lifting (wheel spin) I don’t think it does it much, wheel wobbles a bit first, (probably slime and imperfect tire alignment)  then stabilises at speed.

Maybe it did it when new, probably, neither of the two have had more than some small falls, no jumping other than low (5cm) edges, 75kg rider weight.

they also sound / feel the same, (bolder for 18xl) which makes me think it’s a conception thing. The weird part is the vibration is mostly the same at any speed, and is not systematic, although acceleration is its most common occurrence..

I’ll try to record it. Wheel spin by hand they sound normal, like TFUs video somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestions!

25 minutes ago, Mimolette said:

I’ll try to record it. Wheel spin by hand they sound normal, like TFUs video somewhere.

A recording would be good... I can copy yours too for a comparison, if that would help. 

• Like 1

I haven’t gotten around doing any recordings yet, but when spining it manually the buzz seem pretty normal stepper motor sound. This sound is what becomes a whistle when getting up in RPM. It is too high pitch to be the origin of the vibration.

Considering it mostly appears when accelerating or breaking, I’m starting to think it could be copper coils that are being pulled toward the magnets and when out of place, start to rub on the motor shell. This has a few structural ribs AFAIK that could be the raspy element. The fact that it disappears when reaching a high speed could be inertia pulling then even further and away from the rub zone.

My old ninebot got a different sound after a major crash, will try tearing down that one first for the exercise.

I hope that if the diagnostic is right, it is the cable ties and not the actual copper which is rubbing. I’m on a trip with it and need it to work.

Edited by Mimolette
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...