Learning to ride.

Conno

Hi all, 

I've just got my first wheel, inmotion v8. Love the concept but finding it very hard atm. On day 3 and can go about 10ft wobbling a bit. However, I'm struggling with lower back pain. I practice around 10 mins as after that it kills me. I assume it put pressure on one foot for a while. Anyone else had this issue, anything I could do to eleviate this? I assume once the click moment hits my posture will be a lot better. 

Thanks all. 

1 hour ago, Conno said:

Hi all, 

I've just got my first wheel, inmotion v8. Love the concept but finding it very hard atm. On day 3 and can go about 10ft wobbling a bit. However, I'm struggling with lower back pain. I practice around 10 mins as after that it kills me. I assume it put pressure on one foot for a while. Anyone else had this issue, anything I could do to eleviate this? I assume once the click moment hits my posture will be a lot better. 

Thanks all. 

It’s normal. You will get stronger 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I'm now able to go straight fairly well. Left turns are good and right turns are 50/50. I know, practice and I'll be there. What I am struggling with is when I go kinda fast I am speed wobbling a lot. Is this down to nerves or foot position? Any pointers would be appreciated. 

Thank you 

I've been there 2 years ago as you, a beginner. I think a number of things create the wobble: 1) Placement of feet - In the beginning, you should place them as close to the center of the wheel as close as possible. 2) Muscle coordination of various parts of your body - To achieve that, think about how each part of your body movement can affect your balance and try to eliminate the unnecessary/uncalled for movements. 3) Focus on moving in a steady straight line to feel and to attain the necessary body control to stop the wobbling. When you let the wheel stray just a tiny bit left or right before you can master it moving in a straight line, it is going to create wobbling. I hope these tips help!

yes but only starting after like four hours riding without a break.. you just need to build the muscles and get used to it everyone has pains somewhere when they start out

On 10/4/2019 at 2:56 PM, Conno said:

Hi, 

I'm now able to go straight fairly well. Left turns are good and right turns are 50/50. I know, practice and I'll be there. What I am struggling with is when I go kinda fast I am speed wobbling a lot. Is this down to nerves or foot position? Any pointers would be appreciated. 

Thank you 

I'm a month in and ride pretty decent finally.  Turns are really good and start/stop pretty good.  A previous injury to my left knee kept me from continuing going straight after starting.  A change in stance and posture and all good.

I can identify with the speed wobbles as I get them from time to time.  While my change in stance fixed my straight problems, it's literally the time on the wheel that is doing the rest.

I practice at a local middle school track working on what I call skills training.  I do faster straights and corners on the track along with start/stop.  I ride the school sidewalks and parking lot for tighter turns.  While on the track I do get wobbles now and then while doing faster straights in which case I back off a little and then try again on the next lap.  Eventually they go away as I continue to gradually increase the speed as I do laps on the track.  For me I think it's just my muscles getting used to the new stimulus.