Charger broken or unicycle broken (TG-T3)

Grinchy

Hi All -

This is regarding a TG-T3.

So I was out tooling around on a low battery, got the tire in some broken sidewalk and had a minor crash due to lack of power (no speed, just jumped off, was right after a stop sign, walking speed or less). I guess my kids had wrecked some time previously harder, and the battery side panel popped and battery (hanging on wires) fell out. It wasn't a fast or hard crash, so I figured no big deal, put the battery in, snapped the panel on, and rode home.

I put the charger on, and next day was 'green light' on the charger. However the wheel only showed one red (where it was when I plugged it in). I figured the wheel must be not displaying correctly, rode a couple blocks to the store, and got a full battery fail on the way back. Battery fail on TG-T3 is flashing lights, lots of beeping, slow tiltback, and wheel stops. Not dangerous at all.  Anyway, it's obvious that there was no charging done. I put it back on the charger, and the charger light just stays green, it doesn't turn red as it usually does when charging. Nor does the charger whine (it usually does) nor does the fan come on.

Simple enough to drop $20 on a new charger, I just want to check in and make sure consensus is that the wheel is ok. I am worried because I did have that little crash and did get the battery hanging out. of course it ran fine, so I suspect the charger quite a lot.

I have a multimeter, but the charger isn't going into 'load' mode, so I doubt I'll see any voltage on it. If you know how to make it go into load I can go check the charger.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

Based on the fact that the battery came out, sounds like it could be a loose charging wire and not the charger. There are two connectors to the battery. One has thick wires and generally a yellow connector. The other is the charging line and it has thin wires and usually a black or white connector. Do the connections on the charging line look good?

The charging wires probably go directly to the battery pack, the charging should have nothing to do with the mainboard (unless it's done like in at least some IPSs, if the BMS is integrated in the mainboard). If the wheel otherwise works ok, but doesn't charge, it's probably either the charger, the wiring or the BMS. In this case I'd suspect the charging wire or wires could have come off from the BMS under the shrink wrap, if they seem to still be attached securely to the port. There's probably some connector between the battery and the charging port? You could first check with a multimeter, if there's a connection between the port pins and the connector, if there is, it's probably the wire(s) going to the BMS or the BMS itself is damaged.

• 3 months later...

So, I finally got another charger. Ordered the correct one, it went OOS, the vendor sent me another direct from China, it was wrong size, had to get a new one shipped again from China. Anyway, it got here today, and won't go into charge cycle either. So it looks like something in the wheel is mussed. I do seem to remember using the multimeter on the previous charger and seeing like 60 some volts, but it's been a couple months.

I have cut the shrinkwrap on the battery and nothing looks amiss with the connections. No 'burnt' or gapped connections anywhere.

The wires from the charging port to battery, and from the battery to the control board look fine. One was pinched during assembly, but it doesn't look like it would be torn internally or anything, just some stretch discolorization on the wire insulation.

There is still a little charge left in the battery pack. The wheel will start and works fine. Though I'm obviously not using it because I don't want to run it down any further.

Can somebody link me to the BMS shunt advice for a TG-T3? I can try that next. 

Otherwise, is there a way to pull the battery out and 'jumper' it to the charger? - I can get some wires into the female plug on the charger.

Any help appreciated!

In an embarrassing turn of events, I just cut the ziptie that had the wires (battery power, charging) bundled. 

Hmm. That connector isn't attached to anything. The charging leads were pulled completely out of the connector. They were huddled up between the board and battery side out of sight, so until I pull the zip tie, to see the connector was busted.

And I see that when I took it apart first a couple months ago, I broke the cover plate pretty good. Who has a source for those? the black padded side plates?

So some soldering (I don't have a pin puller) and this should be fixed.

My kids will to be stoked.

• 2 months later...

Hi,  i think i have the same issue with my tg f3,  and i also. opened the battery and circuit board which seems to be all fine.. i also saw an unattached ziptie which i have no idea where was it in the first place.. i looked on the battery but it is covered with blue plastic and i was afraid to open..did you fix your problem? If yes How? thank you in advance.. 

Archived