Florida HB453

Joker10

FYI for Florida riders.  HB453 is a new law signed in Florida a recently that gives EUC riders the same rights as bicycles.  Check for yourself as I am not a lawyer, but the way I read it it classifies EUCs as motorized scooters.  There are restrictions on top speed. 

• 1 month later...

Hi @Joker10

Thanks for sharing Florida HB453 which appears to completely miss the definition of EUCs. I believe the text of the bill is accessible here http://laws.flrules.org/2019/109 

Unfortunately the definition of a micromobility device or motorized scooter says the device "is not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 20 miles per hour on level ground". Well that means we are riding neither a bicycle, nor a micromobility device.... which puts us in the motor vehicle section defined as "any [..] vehicle operated on the roads of this state, used to transport persons or property, and propelled by power other than muscular power, but the term does not include traction engines, road rollers, motorized scooters, micromobility devices, personal delivery devices and mobile carriers as defined in s. 316.003, special mobile equipment as defined in s. 316.003, vehicles that run only upon a track, bicycles, swamp buggies, or mopeds.". 

So please anyone let me know if my interpretation is wrong, because it looks like I am riding a vehicle that I am supposed to register with the DMV and insure... 

Assuming that EUCs get classified as bicycles, that means according to 2128 they have the same rights and responsibilities of a bicycle. That means you have the right to the entire lane of the street, while the responsibility of not running red lights. However, drivers aren't specifically trained to acknowledge such rights, and Florida has the highest rate of bicycle deaths and injuries (along with pedestrians).

• 3 years later...

I received a ticket today for riding on a nature path that allows e-bikes with human power. I'm so upset this was such a amazing way to see nature. can anyone help me here.. are euc's on the same level of bicycles? would the fact you need to apply forward leaning force comply with `human force' requirement?

• Upvote 1