Is this really as cool as it looks?

UKJ

Hello,

I have been riding "real" human powered unicycles for MANY years, love em, off road, freestyle, power kiting, juggling so fun!

As said in my thread title, are these as great as they look?

The issue that gets me the most unlike peddle unis, is the crash factor, unexpected cut out seems so not nice! Face plants that I have never had with peddle.

I also saw a post that I can not now find about a IPS for about 500 something USD with shipping, I did a search but can not find this post, does anyone know where I read this?

It seems having read many posts that IPS and Kingsong seem to be "safest" as far as unexpected cut out goes, I really want to experience this BUT am not at all up for injury.

Of course I would "suit up" to learn, good wrist guards, elbow, knee, helmet other?

Thanks for any and all info.

unikytjug

If you already ride unicycles then you'll be up and riding in minutes no problem.

Up to about 25kph failures are relatively easy to run off with very little drama above that speed it's possible but much more tricky.

I used to ride a peddle Uni decades ago.  I'm really enjoying my cheap generic but you are right.  You have to keep your speed in mind, along with your battery level,  Or you will be dumped.   I feel even though it was long ago and far away, my time on a peddle made learning on my Wheel go a lot smoother.  I've started saving this week for a Kingsong 18 or Gotway 18.   I do like my generic and will keep it to share, but with safety and power in mind I will be getting a better Wheel.  

Hello,

I have been riding "real" human powered unicycles for MANY years, love em, off road, freestyle, power kiting, juggling so fun!

As said in my thread title, are these as great as they look?

The issue that gets me the most unlike peddle unis, is the crash factor, unexpected cut out seems so not nice! Face plants that I have never had with peddle.

I also saw a post that I can not now find about a IPS for about 500 something USD with shipping, I did a search but can not find this post, does anyone know where I read this?

It seems having read many posts that IPS and Kingsong seem to be "safest" as far as unexpected cut out goes, I really want to experience this BUT am not at all up for injury.

Of course I would "suit up" to learn, good wrist guards, elbow, knee, helmet other?

Thanks for any and all info.

unikytjug

Hi @UKJ,

jepp, you will most likely learn and enjoy UC riding in no time. Met a fellow wheelie with a history of mechanical unicycle riding happily doing stunts on his airwheel at the age of 75. Quite impressive. So, welcome to the forum and, I'm sure, soon to our riding community.

I searched the website of my local distributor (unfortunately it's in german only) and found this: http://www.electro-sport.de/epages/78292882.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/78292882/Products/"IPS A130"/SubProducts/"XIMA A130-pink"

While I heard good comments about IPS and I am confident regarding the reliability of the seller, please be aware:

• It is a small 12" wheel. So it is more suitable for short distance fun riding and less capable as a commuting machine.
  • With 130 Wh battery and 450 Watt motor it is at the very lower limit of required power (some here will say: below). I would not recommend it for riders >80 Kg. Don't count on more than 10km range.
  • The listed price is 449 Euro, but shipment to France adds 19 Euro. As that's inside the Eu, you don't have to expect any customs charges.
  • Although in german, too, the review video of the seller may give you some more impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1IsXwS0R7c
  • And, eehmm, while the website list also shell colors blue, white and black, the only color available from stock seems to be pink. PINK!!!

Take care & enjoy,

Tilmann

If your used to a normal unicycle then as Gimlet says you will pick it up almost instantly, i tried a normal unicycle and nearly killed myself a few years ago, though i may splash out on a lunicycle when they are available in the uk which people seem to pick up a lot quicker.

Archived