WTB: Daily driver wheel - Seattle area

Inmotion, IPS, KS, Gotway, Ninbot are all interesting. Maybe an mten, probably more like 18XL, but not really interested in 14" wheels since they lack the clear form advantages like portability or ground clearance of other sizes to my preference.Β 

Prefer local seller β€” I've bought a couple repairable / parts wheels off here via mail within the U.S. but I'm buying a modern,Β  functioning wheel right now for a replacement / sole daily driver. In fact, unless it's a great deal, I'd like a well looked after high-wH wheel with special attention to lack of water damage, or battery abuse this time.

I've met folks nearby for try and buy over the years. That was best for everyone. I bought multiple wheels and accessories they hadn't thought to get rid of, and I could appreciate stuff I'd once imagined was silly till holding it (like my then trusty 10" wheel!).

• Upvote 1

Haha, yeah I reached out to him before but when I tried viewing a response the board told me I don't have permission.

Oh, upon looking again, that's because the thread is gone. Maybe a (reasonable) change of heart or circumstance @chrisjunlee? Guess I should have popped on here sooner. ☺️

Edited by WheelPappy
Unformatted '@'
  • Upvote 1

Ah my bad, I had a change of heart once I realized my Nikola 100V isn't coming in next day - it comes in later this month. Would like to keep on riding the 16X until then. Also thought it would be a good chance to make a comparison video of the two. And yes, I'm enjoying the 16X now :)

I'm lending out my mten3 to a new rider and my MCM5 is my quick errand wheel.Β 

• Like 2

Right on. Keep in touch. I originally thought to pull the trigger on an 18XL or MSX since that's the closest open-market product to what I've preferred over the years. ThenΒ I saw this 16x has very comparable specs now, so thought to revisit my wheel diameter bias.Β In fact, ultimately I'd probably get both an mten3 or similar for getting to work / occasional mixed-mode traveling, plus get the least crappy long-distance (β‰₯16") wheel by 2019 standards for when awkward and bulky are relative.

I'd probably love the V10F, but my past experience with InMotion tech was that it was thoughtfully designed, so sometimes too conservative for my niche hobby interests. For instance I'm guessing they're savvy enough to not have hot charge ports during operation or something, which thwarts my auxillary pack and diagnostics.

Β 

These choices are always a little blind and pretty silly though.

Β 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WheelPappy said:

Right on. Keep in touch. I originally thought to pull the trigger on an 18XL or MSX since that's the closest open-market product to what I've preferred over the years. ThenΒ I saw this 16x has very comparable specs now, so thought to revisit my wheel diameter bias.Β In fact, ultimately I'd probably get both an mten3 or similar for getting to work / occasional mixed-mode traveling, plus get the least crappy long-distance (β‰₯16") wheel by 2019 standards for when awkward and bulky are relative.

That's my ideal setup as well!

The mten3 is my no-helmet-no-gear leisurely errand wheel - it offroads better than a onewheel, seriously.

The 16X fills in everything else (high speed joy rides and commuting) - and it's handling the iffy downtown roads like a champ. I just got back from a very fast run downtown, at midnight darkness, and it handled everything fine going at 25+ mph.

The MCM5 was suppose to be a temporary wheel until the 16X came in, but I decided to keep it as a sacrificial premo beater/loaner to teach others. The mten3 has been more popular thus far to my delight.

• Like 2

I've survived some crazy high-speed cutoffs with good work gloves, and I regret it every time I don't at least keep them handy. Everything else is optional to me. I'd suggest knee pads, even minimal ones, on larger wheels since the fall is surprisingly difficult to recover from without some knee on road interaction. I roll well though.

But having gone flying from 12" wheels, I can say I'm comfortable enough to run off them if I'm vigilant enough to be riding fast to begin with. It's just not much of a fall, even if you need to roll on asphalt.Β 

Speaking of which, if you're not prepared every second to be comfortable rolling on asphalt at the speed and angle you've chosen, you shouldn't be on a device without any other motive redundancy than your body.

For joy and efficiency, and not self-preservation, I also take my chances and recognize the ridiculous mid-term costs I've assumed. Wrist guards are probably a good idea though, so long as you don't rely on them when you inevitably take a spin β€” can't overstate that.

Yeah, that's what my A130 was kept for. You get it. Tiny, portable, safe ground clearance wheel for newbie falls, lightweight / compact enough that it was indestructible when flying over hillsides etc when new riders got hold of it. Everyone loves the tiny wheel at first, and it's great training. If you can avoid pedal scrape and recover from pirouette crashes for a few weeks on it then you'll be a confident champ once upgrading to >6.5" treadle clearance.

I never loaned my 18's out unless they took both. Then it's like riding a wheelchair because there's handles both sides, and a wheel per foot so you can stall for long periods.