The Crash (prevention) Thread

After combing through all 34 pages (and growing) pp of the Helmet Thread,(anyone that has should get a PhD for it :huh:) it occurred to me we should have a crash thread.

Between “cut-outs”, looking down vs not looking down, speed wobbles, etc there is a wealth of knowledge via first hand experience out there.

So, weather you actually ate-it, nibbled, or avoided...please share your circumstances here, as it can make all of us safer and grow the community in the process. 

My IPS 121 wheel was run over by a truck in 2016.

I was riding on the sidewalk when a large pickup truck (the kind with dual rear wheels) came shooting out of a parking lot just as I arrived. I could not stop in time, put my hands out to keep from slamming into the side of the truck, my EUC fell down, and the truck (which did not slow down whatsoever as this was happening) ran over my EUC. I mean the rear wheels went directly over my EUC. Consider how high dually truck wheels would be lifted by rolling over an EUC. The driver continued maximum acceleration like nothing happened!

In a demonstration of IPS build quality, I was able to ride the EUC (an IPS 121) home. However, I decided it was too damaged to continue using it.

• Like 2

There's situations where is likely you'll be hit by a driver unless you specifically recognize those situations.

I think the @MaxLinux situations is a very common one, and not just with EICs but with anything thinking they're on the sidewalk, but they actually aren't.

When is a sidewalk not actually a sidewalk? Anytime that it is intersected with a driveway. It might look like a sidewalk, but it doesn't act like one, and for the most part the driver isn't obligated to come to a halt, as @MaxLinux found out. In fact, in order to see onto the main strait the driver must be on the "sidewalk".

Again, recognizing parts of a sidewalk as not a sidewalk is probably one of the most important things you can do to avoid a crash.

Another situation that's extremely repeatable (I should know, since I repeated this several times for fun and thrills) is the driver make a left turn, and you are on the sidewalk crossing the street parallel to him, in the same direction before he turns. You will be occluded by the driver side pillar, and will stay so during his entire left turn until he hits you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a beginner and in general I think crash prevention is about being extremely alert and never going beyond your comfort zone because  that's where mistakes get made. I don't know if I'll want to ride through any type of intersection. For the time being I prefer to enjoy the wheel on sparsely populated areas long stretches of uninterrupted sidewalk and just getting off and crossing a street on foot.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, interpreterdotcourt said:

think crash prevention is about being extremely alert and never going beyond your comfort zone

We all agree with this while also scratching our heads as to the manifestation of said action. That is, assuming you're alert and ride at a prudent speed, what situation invokes what reaction (of yours) to stay safe.

As an EUC rider or a bicyclist, you will hardly ever break the law but almost always pay for the consequences of a driver breaking the law. We know this because a compilation of video footage of crashes shows drivers being almost entirely the lawbreakers.

Here's an excellent example of why traffic poles in stroads have mandated break away bolts.

This running of red lights is common; my car was hit in such a situation, with three out of four cars totalled.

So, try to put another car or stop behind a pole when stopped at a stroad.

9 hours ago, interpreterdotcourt said:

I'm a beginner and in general I think crash prevention is about being extremely alert and never going beyond your comfort zone because  that's where mistakes get made. I don't know if I'll want to ride through any type of intersection. For the time being I prefer to enjoy the wheel on sparsely populated areas long stretches of uninterrupted sidewalk and just getting off and crossing a street on foot.

Great overall point. I am simply looking to have a place where people can learn from others “mistakes”.

I was riding down a side street when a car approaching me forced me to ride closer to the curb. My pedal clipped a garbage bag and the next thing i knew ,the home owner was asking if i was allright. He said I'm bleeding alot and suggested i go to the hospital and said dont ride that thing home, I walked home went into the shower where i cleaned rock dust from my face and chin. Crash result: I badly cut my chin and broke my cheek bone in 3 places. Got a massive black eye and my upper teeth were pushed in. Luckily i was wearing a helmet and padded hand gloves. I had CAT Scans and MRI done. I'm slowly healing and yes, I still ride but I'm now more cautious and will just pull over and stop rather than ride through trouble.  

11 hours ago, egossett57@gmail.com said:

I was riding down a side street when a car approaching me forced me to ride closer to the curb. My pedal clipped a garbage bag and the next thing i knew ,the home owner was asking if i was allright. He said I'm bleeding alot and suggested i go to the hospital and said dont ride that thing home, I walked home went into the shower where i cleaned rock dust from my face and chin. Crash result: I badly cut my chin and broke my cheek bone in 3 places. Got a massive black eye and my upper teeth were pushed in. Luckily i was wearing a helmet and padded hand gloves. I had CAT Scans and MRI done. I'm slowly healing and yes, I still ride but I'm now more cautious and will just pull over and stop rather than ride through trouble.  

Ouch! Glad your heeling man. 

Not to belabor your pain, but I’m curious abou helmet type/style that lead to so much cheek/chin/mouth damage?