Effect of deflating tyres while learning?

AlexEssex

Hi all,

Just a quick question, am thinking of ways to enhance my learning experience and get me going a bit better.

When I bought my E+ the tyres are pumped to its hardest, well feels like it. Will deflating a little have any significant effect for learning the basics and gain confidence? 

I also have my sensitivity on the ninebot app set to 4 out 9.

Thank you.

I found it easier to mount the EUC with lower tire pressure. When you first step on there's that initial moment before you are moving fast enough to balance, and flatter tires make it easier to balance during that transition. The downside is it's slightly harder to turn and the wheel feels different. As I got better I was able to increase the pressure.

• Like 1

I agree.

It's easier on a flatter tire because of the contact patch. You won't risk anything as you will not be hopping on and off curbs in that learning phase. Once it "clicks" in the parking lot increase pressure. It will feel weird at first but after 1 minute you'll be used to it.

• Upvote 1

i would tend to encourage using the recommended from the get go as you will be more familiar with it instead of learning twice.. sure its a bit easier to balance and mount when you have more surface area of course but if youre not actually gonna ride with that then it will just feel awkward all over again, turning is also vastly different thats the main reason i would discourage it because say you learn to turn and ride and control the vehicle with an extremely low psi, then pump it up and now it going to react completely different being new this could easily cause a wipe out because you dont know what to anticipate.. to me i dont think the trade off is worth it its only very slightly easier to hop on and start with a flatter tire.. at most i would definitely say keep it within 10 PSI of what you plan to use (see a chart for your weight and tire size here) that way the difference wont be so jarring

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Rywokast said:

you will be more familiar with it instead of learning twice.

I think that's an exaggeration. It's not like going from using side-wheels to only one wheel. Adapting only takes a few minutes.

I'm not talking about riding with a flat tire.

4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I think that's an exaggeration. It's not like going from using side-wheels to only one wheel. Adapting only takes a few minutes.

I'm not talking about riding with a flat tire.

depends on the wheel.. the ninebot one has one of the thinnest tires ever on an euc.. 1.95", changing the tire pressure any more than ~10 PSI will have it reacting vastly different, i just cant see a use in getting used to having it one way and then as soon as youre comfortable changing it lol.. why not learn at what you will actually use.. if its harder to mount then get used to it being harder to mount.. the NB1 is already one of the easiest EUCs there is to mount because of its weight and relative groundedness coupled with the extremely low pedals, ive trained multiple people to ride it confidently within half hour at ~55 PSI.. the thinner a tire is the more PSI it should have or it will react weird.. not like say a 16x3 or 18x2.5 where changing the tire pressure unless drastically basically feels the same and you can get away with a lot lower pressure

Edited by Rywokast