First Wheel Checklist

CampDylan

My very first wheel will be the King Song 16X which is on order.  My question is are there any essential things I must do before riding it for the first time?  Such as:

• Download any particular app, upgrade firmware  
  • Fully charge the batteries first
  • Open the housing and check the connections/wiring
  • Rider settings, alarms, sound, etc.

Buy padding for your EUC and for your body. I try not to open the wheel until I have to but maybe I'll leave this to the more experienced riders. Kingsong does a pretty good job of assembling their wheels. I unlocked my wheel and just rode and rode. I hesitate with firmware updates but after bricking my wheel once already, I feel like I will take the next update more freely. As far as batteries go, that is a big unknown. I've heard everything from charge it fully the first time to slowly break it in. I'd say just don't completely drain or fill the battery every day (don't know where I got that from). I always set my alarms to the max. I am comfortable and confident with Kingsong wheels only to do this.

Oh, check the tire pressure before you ride. Don't want to dent your rim on its first week (cough, cough). 

• Upvote 2

• You'll need to unlock the wheel with the Kingsong app before you can use it. This is to prevent the wheel accidentally switching on and spinning and burning the board while in the box and in transit, which happened a few times. So you need the KS app. But you still have a bit of time;)
  • Pump up the tire.
  • Pad up the wheel. The first ride attempt you'll do outdoors will be the most damaging, so don't wait until later.
  • Wear wrist guards for learning, and more gear for riding. So have a look at those.
  • Upvote 2

• Pump up the tire:  I've heard that an extender for the valve is helpful/necessary to fill the tires?  Anyone know the name of the part to search?
  • Padding:  Has there been a type of padding that most have been happy with?
  • Protection:  Yes, I already ordered (Amazon.com) the Troy Lee Designs body armor pull-over, 7855, and the Stage Stealth full-face helmet on order.

Edited by CampDylan

59 minutes ago, CampDylan said:
  • Pump up the tire:  I've heard that an extender for the valve is helpful/necessary to fill the tires?  Anyone know the name of the part to search?
  • Padding:  Has there been a type of padding that most have been happy with?
  • Protection:  Yes, I already ordered (Amazon.com) the Troy Lee Designs body armor pull-over, 7855, and the Stage Stealth full-face helmet on order.

may be, may not be depends on the euc.. most its not but it definitely makes it easier and i think unless they made the cut out, the 16X one is hard to access... get something like this its great because it has valve core remover attachment as well.. for padding i recommend just going to a dollar store or wal-mart or something and picking up a cheap yoga mat, wrap it around the euc to measure then cut it to size and use duct tape to hold it together, that way you have an easily removable full padding for the EUC while learning... for something a little more permanent for a little protection most people use this but something like this could be a good alternative, just use some quality double sided tape and cut little pieces for areas like the front and back or wherever you feel would be the most vulnerable.. for places like corners/around edges and pedals i prefer something similar to this or this.. if youre feeling confident you can solely use the hard rubber trim as it looks much nicer, can barely tell its even on and if strategically places on edges actually offers great protection.. heres an example of my old KS16S.. i now use the EUC bodyguard as it offers sleek full body protection and looks fantastic, when it comes out for the 16X i would definitely recommend it

20190327_220601.jpg

20190327_221034.jpg

Edited by Rywokast
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rywokast said:

most people use this but something like this could be a good alternative, just use some quality double sided tape and cut little pieces for areas like the front and back or wherever you feel would be the most vulnerable.. for places like corners/around edges and pedals i prefer something similar to this or this..

Wow, this is great stuff - who knew, lol, now I know where the old term 'rubber-baby-buggy-bumpers' comes from !  I found that first stuff, the ribbed rubber stuff on Amazon under the baby section to soften corners of furniture and trim to protect baby.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You'll need to unlock the wheel with the Kingsong app before you can use it. This is to prevent the wheel accidentally switching on and spinning and burning the board while in the box and in transit, which happened a few times. So you need the KS app. But you still have a bit of time;)

The KingSong app - is it preferable on Android or Apple?  Or does it even matter...I see a 3-star review on my iPad.

5 hours ago, CampDylan said:

The KingSong app - is it preferable on Android or Apple?  Or does it even matter...I see a 3-star review on my iPad.

only ever used android but the orange older app was a bit finicky but worked, and the newest app available all blue one has always worked fantastic for me once i figured out you needed to put the country code twice to register with phone and the ks servers were back up lol

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CampDylan said:

The KingSong app - is it preferable on Android or Apple?

I've noticed that the blue app (newest one) connects with the wheel faster on iPhone.