How much should I pay someone to change a tire?

Esper

As the title states. I'm in need of a tire swap for a tubeless tire. I don't have the proper tools and buying the tools would cost me about $25-$30 USD as well as the time to do it.

Were I to pay someone, how much would a fair price be?

11 hours ago, Graniteone said:

Just my opinion, better to learn to do it yourself and bite the bullet once for the tools and forever be able to tackle this on your own. 

That's not at all an answer to the question I asked. I know I can buy the tools and I already know how to do it. 

Maybe let me rephrase it so you might answer the question then.

What should I charge someone that wants ME to change THEIR tire?

Edited by Esper
  • Like 1

I would say and expect, also depending on the model, between $30 and $60 for the work plus material.

For a comparison: my favorite bike shop charges €25 for changing the back tire of a bicycle.

Edited by Mono

3 hours ago, Mono said:

I would say and expect, also depending on the model, between $30 and $60 for the work plus material.

For a comparison: my favorite bike shop charges €25 for changing the back tire of a bicycle.

Well the wheel is a Mten3. and I already ordered the tire. So the only part I'd be paying for is the labor really. Does this information help?

1 hour ago, Esper said:

Well the wheel is a Mten3. and I already ordered the tire. So the only part I'd be paying for is the labor really. Does this information help?

I guess yes, if I knew how simple/difficult the tire change on this model is, which I don't :cry2:

ah, now I also realize that the model is visible in your signature :D

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mono said:

I guess yes, if I knew how simple/difficult the tire change on this model is, which I don't :cry2:

ah, now I also realize that the model is visible in your signature :D

Its also on the left underneath our pictures. Like yours is " InMotion V8, retired: Gotway MCM2s, IPS 132  " :D

Edited by Esper

I can get my V8 apart,   change a tyre and get it back together again in under 20mins.    

That being said,   it would be reasonable to have a minimum 1hr charge on work done,   so whatever a mechanic there charges per hour would be about what I'd expect someone who needed to pay someone else to do that job should expect.

Or mates rates kinda thing - a 6 pack of something nice.
Here (Australia),  for a job that's under an hour to do,  $20 (or a 6 pack or so) says thanks mate.   $50 (or a slab/bottle) says "maaaaate,  I truly value your help with this and hope I can call upon you again should the need arise".   If they're a true mate,   they'll share it with you,   throw a blanket on ya at the end of the night and their missus will make ya a bacon sarnie and a coffee for the road next morning.

If you're going from tube to tubeless,   probably a little more involved with some tape or something to seal the rim so some parts/material costs should be added on.

• Like 1