Mten3 Tire, Where to buy?

What sort of life should we expect on these? Mine's in rough shape after I think 500-600 miles. I think I abused it by not identifying the leak right away and just adding more air every few days, but not often enough to avoid riding with really low pressure. Also, anyone know another source of the Type 2 tires?

• Like 1

Hmm, I guess I did OK then. I saw Marty said his first tube failed around 500 miles, but I thought the tires were expected to last longer. I suppose the stresses on the tire portion of a tire+tube are different than on a tubeless tire.

Short term note: eWheels doesn't currently have any spare parts due to a fire at their warehouse (see notice at the top of their website). It shows in stock, but all of their spare parts are unavailable right now. But Jason at eWheels did point me to a compatible tubeless tire on ebay that's shipped from the USA. It's 60/70-6.5, but he said it'll work. Thread pattern looks about the same as the stock tire and it might just be the only compatible tire on ebay that doesn't ship from China.

Jason also shared the "ziptie" method for tire changing, which looks a bit easier than fighting tire irons.

w0T9QuJ.png

3 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Tube tires are bad, stay tubeless.

👍 I had no intention of switching to a tube, but always a good note. I was just looking at the tubeless tire that Marty recommended and the "Type 2" version is sold out.

• Like 3

@ShanesPlanet put a 'different' tire than the play doh stock tire on one of his MTens, I don't have a link to it but all things considered I believe he was reasonably satisfied with the result. It was harsher riding than stock, but being a 4 ply tire vs 2 ply stock that's not surprising.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32800298685.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.74764c4dnsfmjA

I just checked and of COURSE they don't have 'type 2' in stock. Unfortunately I have zero idea where to get more and how to even know what you're getting. These baby scooter tires are so random, here and gone. I do know that it was more plies, and thats what you're after. Stock mten tire is so thin its amazing it works at all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 2:16 PM, bobpaul said:

Short term note: eWheels doesn't currently have any spare parts due to a fire at their warehouse (see notice at the top of their website). It shows in stock, but all of their spare parts are unavailable right now. But Jason at eWheels did point me to a compatible tubeless tire on ebay that's shipped from the USA. It's 60/70-6.5, but he said it'll work.

eBay tire installed. Got a bit higher weight and PSI limit, so hopefully it's more durable. But man, that install sucked. First I just tried with just tire irons like Shane did in his video. But I just could not get it. Then I tried adding zipties, but I didn't take it off the wheel. Wrong; fail! More than an hour later, after much swearing and sweating, I finally took the tire completely off the rim, put the zipties on tight enough to make the beads touch and the tire round out almost as if it had some air in it. Went on in just a few minutes. I did still need a tire iron, but it just slipped on in 1 go. Used a ratchet strap and an air compressor to seat the bead.

Here's a photo album for anyone interested. I was a bit worried it was too low profile, but at 30psi it looks pretty much the same as the original wheel did.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...