Mten3 Tire, Where to buy?

I've put in a a few hundred miles on my wheel and have noticed some deformations in the tire. Could be due to my weight along with overfilling the tire. But I need to get a new tire and eWheels doesn't have one listed in the parts list. Anyone know where I can get a Tubeless Tire for the Mten3? Preferably someone better than the default 2-ply that came with it? On another note, would it be better to go tubeless or with a tube at a higher psi? (tubeless asks for 30 psi and I put in 40) I weigh about 200 lbs with all my stuff.. 

Tire is rated at 2 ply tubeless 70kg with 30psi (cold) standard. I'm hoping there is something like a 3 ply tubeless 90-110kg with 35-40 psi (cold)

Any help is appreciated. TIA!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Esper said:

I've put in a a few hundred miles on my wheel and have noticed some deformations in the tire. Could be due to my weight along with overfilling the tire. But I need to get a new tire and eWheels doesn't have one listed in the parts list. Anyone know where I can get a Tubeless Tire for the Mten3? Preferably someone better than the default 2-ply that came with it? On another note, would it be better to go tubeless or with a tube at a higher psi? (tubeless asks for 30 psi and I put in 40) I weigh about 200 lbs with all my stuff.. 

Tire is rated at 2 ply tubeless 70kg with 30psi (cold) standard. I'm hoping there is something like a 3 ply tubeless 90-110kg with 35-40 psi (cold)

Take a look at the Description in one of my YouTube videos. I list the source for the tire that I now have on my Mten3. A few of us have used the tire. Checkout my Mten3 playlist for other related videos, including a recent on where I installed the tire.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Take a look at the Description in one of my YouTube videos. I list the source for the tire that I now have on my Mten3. A few of us have used the tire. Checkout my Mten3 playlist for other related videos, including a recent on where I installed the tire.

Did you recently change your videos around because it says you haven't uploaded a video in a year. https://www.youtube.com/user/MartyBacke/videos

Edited by Esper

5 minutes ago, Esper said:

Did you recently change your videos around because it says you haven't uploaded a video in a year. https://www.youtube.com/user/MartyBacke/videos

Yeah, over a year ago I created a new channel. It's in my Signature below (if you have Signatures turned on). https://www.youtube.com/electricunicycles

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Esper said:

You did!!! You changed the name so thats why I didn't see it. :D https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQeDQAr2JgTSSujXThdlWxg/videos

I have a much more recent video where I showed that I successfully replaced the tire without any outside help :-)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I have a much more recent video where I showed that I successfully replaced the tire without any outside help :-)

Marty, are you around the same weight as me? What PSI do you use and how many miles did you put in before changing the tire??

45 minutes ago, Esper said:

Marty, are you around the same weight as me? What PSI do you use and how many miles did you put in before changing the tire??

I don't know how much you weigh, but my riding weight right now is ~175-pounds. I usually run my tires at the max value listed on the tire. The original tube lasted 400-miles and the 2nd tube lasted ~100-miles. I still have the original tire and it looks to be in great shape.

9 minutes ago, Esper said:

Tire ordered! Thanks @Marty Backe!! You were great help. I got the version 2, but couldn't see the specs on the tire so I don't know how much better it is over the original.

I responded to your comment on my channel too. I think you'll like the new tire :)

I have the tube version of Mten3 and, unfortunately, the valve is leaking (due to the bent metal). Is there a glue or something I can squeeze in there to seal the leak? :unsure:

And yes, that green stuff is slime. I really don't wanna have to replace the whole tire! (I'd rather just buy another mTen3 and sell this one).

IMG_0948.JPG

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

I have the tube version of Mten3 and, unfortunately, the valve is leaking (due to the bent metal). Is there a glue or something I can squeeze in there to seal the leak? :unsure:

And yes, that green stuff is slime. I really don't wanna have to replace the whole tire! (I'd rather just buy another mTen3 and sell this one).

IMG_0948.JPG

That's exactly what failed on my tube at ~400-miles. Sorry, the only fix is to replace the tube. You might want to take this opportunity and buy a new tire and also convert it to tubeless. I have a video that shows the entire process. The end result is very nice.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't know how much you weigh, but my riding weight right now is ~175-pounds. I usually run my tires at the max value listed on the tire. The original tube lasted 400-miles and the 2nd tube lasted ~100-miles. I still have the original tire and it looks to be in great shape.

So the 2nnd type (better tread) tyre has such low life? One quarter of original, or are you still riding it?

18 minutes ago, LucasD said:

So the 2nnd type (better tread) tyre has such low life? One quarter of original, or are you still riding it?

No. You misunderstood me. You are confusing tubes and tires. Here's my Mten3 timeline

1. Bought the Mten3, which came with a tube
  2. After 400-miles the tube had a failure that I could not repair
  3. I removed the tire so that I could remove and replace the tube. At the same time I decided to switch to the new Type-2 tire
  4. After another ~100-miles I had a bad flat in the tube
  5. I removed the tube and installed a tubeless tire valve and reinstalled the Type-2 tire

To remove any doubt, both tires have the same life expectancy 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @Marty Backe, I had time over the weekend to install that new tire. You're right, it's a pain in the butt. I did the method you used to try and get the bead seated and overinflated to make sure it stayed and whacked it with a rubber mallet. Hopefully the bead stays. But when I was changing the tire, since it was originally a tubeless version, it had a ton of grime inside that I tried to clean up. I think this ruined the seal on the valve and now it's leaking air, (confirmed with a little soapy water) Do you think the tubeless bead sealant by Slime would be better than your suggested emergency flat repair for tubeless tires Slime, that was linked in your video? Or do you think it would be worth it to take it all apart again and replace the valve?

40 minutes ago, Esper said:

Hey @Marty Backe, I had time over the weekend to install that new tire. You're right, it's a pain in the butt. I did the method you used to try and get the bead seated and overinflated to make sure it stayed and whacked it with a rubber mallet. Hopefully the bead stays. But when I was changing the tire, since it was originally a tubeless version, it had a ton of grime inside that I tried to clean up. I think this ruined the seal on the valve and now it's leaking air, (confirmed with a little soapy water) Do you think the tubeless bead sealant by Slime would be better than your suggested emergency flat repair for tubeless tires Slime, that was linked in your video? Or do you think it would be worth it to take it all apart again and replace the valve?

I did clean my rim really well. Only after I got the bead to set (the tire held the pressure without leaking) did I then add the Tubeless Slime. It's probably been a month since I last added any air and my tire is still fully inflated. So I'm not experiencing any leaks.

If the air is leaking around the valve then it sounds like you have no choice but to remove it and try again. What a total pain and I don't envy you that job :crying:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I did clean my rim really well. Only after I got the bead to set (the tire held the pressure without leaking) did I then add the Tubeless Slime. It's probably been a month since I last added any air and my tire is still fully inflated. So I'm not experiencing any leaks.

If the air is leaking around the valve then it sounds like you have no choice but to remove it and try again. What a total pain and I don't envy you that job :crying:

Darn, :( The valve worked perfectly before I cleaned away the gunk that was near it. I think the gunk was keeping the valve air tight until I removed it. I don't want to have to take it apart again, but I'd rather replace the valve first rather than risk using all that slime only to have it fail and have to remove the tire with all the slime in there.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 2:53 PM, Esper said:

jason has the tires now..ewheels

• 3 weeks later...

So I had a bunch of problems with my tire slipping off the bead over the last several days. I don't know what I did wrong and I'm afraid of trying to ride it outside of the neighborhood until it sits well.

The first day I did the Marty method of squeezing and rolling the tire to try and sit it on the bead. Add air, inflate. But I couldn't get it to sit properly. After much hassling and numb fingers, I got it to hold air, took it outside and around the parking lot. Looked great!

Next day I decide to use it to take out the trash and it slipped off the bead. So I did more finagling and tried to sit it, got it with air again, and this time I inflated a little more, up to 40 psi. Road it to the trash and back, did well. Took it slowly to the store down the road, it held,

Day 3 the tire slipped off the bead again, sat flat... I didn't know what else to do and the strap method I read about had to wait until monday night. But it was wednesday and I wanted to try something different. I sprayed the edges of the tire with some WD-40 and then wiped it down, did the Marty roll method again and applied some air. At first it wasn't holding but with some fast enough pumping I got it to slip onto the bead and hold air. Brought it to 50 PSI, and gave it a short tiny test drive. I didn't want to damage the tire at all so I kept the ride really short. Let it sit over the long weekend.

I got back home sunday and saw the tire was still holding air. Didn't have much time let in the day to mess with pressure levels before work today so I took it to work still on 50 PSI. Air is still holding but I don't want to risk it slipping again, so I think I'll bring home the strap to try giving a little more pressure to seat the bead if it slips.

Tonight I'm going to let all the air out and see if it holds. Hopefully it won't slip off and I can just reinflate normally. But this tire is soooo different than the original that I can't tell how it's supposed to ride. I'll update later tonight with a picture of my new wheel color if I can get it working properly.

On a side note, I learned a little on how annoying it is to apply Vinyl to a Mten3 without previous Vinyl handling experience. I needed a much bigger piece if I wanted it to go on smoothly without wrinkles.. I hope I can turn that into a learning experience and make next year's color of choice look nicer!

Now, off to the store to buy some tubeless slime. :D 

Edited by Esper
  • Like 1

I also want to thank @Marty Backe for the help! It took a lot of filing and 3 broken valves before I got one to go in without breaking. Took about 10 minutes of sitting in hot water with a little lubricant and some very slow pulling to get it to slide in, but I got it. (the files I got from Amazon were much smaller in person than pictured. :() I've got the experience now (and the tools), so I hope I'll be able to help some locals out if the need arrives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esper said:

I also want to thank @Marty Backe for the help! It took a lot of filing and 3 broken valves before I got one to go in without breaking. Took about 10 minutes of sitting in hot water with a little lubricant and some very slow pulling to get it to slide in, but I got it. (the files I got from Amazon were much smaller in person than pictured. :() I've got the experience now (and the tools), so I hope I'll be able to help some locals out if the need arrives.

Interesting to read of your travails. I've probably ridden my ~30-miles since the conversion and have had zero issues with it holding air. I wonder if the difference is that I put Slime in mine at the beginning, but you didn't???

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Interesting to read of your travails. I've probably ridden my ~30-miles since the conversion and have had zero issues with it holding air. I wonder if the difference is that I put Slime in mine at the beginning, but you didn't???

I think it's because your tires were soapy when you did the bead but mine were not.

4 hours ago, Esper said:

I think it's because your tires were soapy when you did the bead but mine were not.

Wouldn't soap make the problem worse :confused1:

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wouldn't soap make the problem worse :confused1:

You might think so. Right? But I think my issue was that it wasn't sliding all the way to the edge of the rim and was just inflating and sat on the corner of the bead. I think your soap helped work it to the edge and the dry tire I had was catching. That may be why the WD-40 helped :D 

But I don't know, it's not rocket surgery. I'm just grateful it turned out successful. 

• Like 1