Inner tube size

Dreman

I blew a tube on curb riding my ACM .  The tire is worn out so it's a good time to replace it as well.  I already purchased the original Kenda tire 16X 2.125.  The only bent valve tube

I was able to find locally so far is 16X2.5.   The original tube was 16X 1.75  -  2.125.    The bike shop says it will be fine but I am not so sure.  They don't have to pay the price if it blows.  Anyone have any experience using a slightly wider tube?

For EUC inner tubes, you can go smaller than the tire size, but bigger can lead to bunching up, translating into possible bumpy pockets while riding.

But more importantly for most all EUC's 16" and below, the valve really needs to be bent and parallel or 0º, not perpendicular, to the wheel plane. The ones bicycles use are typically perpendicular, thus I doubt you'll be able to source locally.

But if the leak is not a valve leak, why not hot patch your blow inner tube?

I'm with @houseofjob. If anything, go smaller. Unlike a bicycle, all of our weight is on a single tire. Best to stick with the proper tube size.

I'm amazed that you were able to find a local bent-valve tube (I suspect that you didn't, but who knows). EWheels sells tubes, but also (wasn't true a couple of years ago), you can find EUC tubes on Amazon now.

But I'm also with @houseofjob regarding patching. I just patched my ACM tube (and my KS18XL - unlucky week) and the patches have been working great.

I have spare tubes for all my wheels in case I can't patch a tube, but so far I've never had to replace the tube.

Guest PogArt Artur

I've just read the conversation guys, as I have started commuting recently, wouldn't you mind @Marty Backe to share the link to buy an inner tube for E+ please ?

You know it's 16" tyre, but I'm unsure, whether I should type in Amazon search - inner tube for E+ , or should I go for V5F instead? Which is 14" please?

Thank you :) 

8 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

I've just read the conversation guys, as I have started commuting recently, wouldn't you mind @Marty Backe to share the link to buy an inner tube for E+ please ?

You know it's 16" tyre, but I'm unsure, whether I should type in Amazon search - inner tube for E+ , or should I go for V5F instead? Which is 14" please?

Thank you :) 

Here is the Amazon link for a high quality (Kenda) tube for the Ninebot, ACM, KS16, etc. wheels: https://amzn.to/2ItPZtx

On 4/17/2019 at 10:34 PM, houseofjob said:

For EUC inner tubes, you can go smaller than the tire size, but bigger can lead to bunching up, translating into possible bumpy pockets while riding.

But more importantly for most all EUC's 16" and below, the valve really needs to be bent and parallel or 0º, not perpendicular, to the wheel plane. The ones bicycles use are typically perpendicular, thus I doubt you'll be able to source locally.

But if the leak is not a valve leak, why not hot patch your blow inner tube?

Thanks for the reply.   I am not patching it for two reasons.  The first is I have not taken the ACM apart yet so right now I only know that it won't hold air.   I don't know the size or scope of the breach.  A patch may or may not work.  Secondly,  because it is not worth the effort/risk to me.   I have local bike shops willing to order the tube for me and they are selling for anywhere from $4 to $9.  The wrong tube I just purchased was $7 and yes it is a bent angle tube.      I really don't enjoy the process of taking my machine apart so for that price I will install a new tube rather than patch it and possibly have it leak or fail.    I was considering patching it and keeping it as a spare but again for the price I just bought a second tube.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:59 PM, Marty Backe said:

I'm with @houseofjob. If anything, go smaller. Unlike a bicycle, all of our weight is on a single tire. Best to stick with the proper tube size.

I'm amazed that you were able to find a local bent-valve tube (I suspect that you didn't, but who knows). EWheels sells tubes, but also (wasn't true a couple of years ago), you can find EUC tubes on Amazon now.

But I'm also with @houseofjob regarding patching. I just patched my ACM tube (and my KS18XL - unlucky week) and the patches have been working great.

I have spare tubes for all my wheels in case I can't patch a tube, but so far I've never had to replace the tube.

Thanks for responding Marty.  It was a bent angle tube I found.    There were a couple of bike shops that had them in stock.  What I couldn't find was the correct 2.125 width.  From my understanding the jogging strollers take the larger width bent valve tubes which is why they had them.    Any of the shops I spoke to said they were willing to order the tube.  I would already have it except the shop I ordered from had just placed their order so I have to wait for tomorrow's order and I should have it Wednesday.

See my reply to @houseofjob as to why I chose not to patch.  Long story short . I found inexpensive Kenda tubes locally.

On a separate note I want to thank you for your contributions.  I had to take apart my ACM for maintenance a couple months ago and your video on tightening axle nuts is the only thing that got me through it.  I already have it in queue for this upcoming tire/tube swap.

How is the shell holding up after you applied epoxy? I noticed that many of my internal screw holes are failing where the plastic is crumbling.  I can only mount the control board with three screws.  The case sides are attached but I can see where some screw holes have either fallen apart or are in the process of doing so.  I am not sure how many more times I can take it apart and get it back together.

4 hours ago, Dreman said:

Thanks for responding Marty.  It was a bent angle tube I found.    There were a couple of bike shops that had them in stock.  What I couldn't find was the correct 2.125 width.  From my understanding the jogging strollers take the larger width bent valve tubes which is why they had them.    Any of the shops I spoke to said they were willing to order the tube.  I would already have it except the shop I ordered from had just placed their order so I have to wait for tomorrow's order and I should have it Wednesday.

See my reply to @houseofjob as to why I chose not to patch.  Long story short . I found inexpensive Kenda tubes locally.

On a separate note I want to thank you for your contributions.  I had to take apart my ACM for maintenance a couple months ago and your video on tightening axle nuts is the only thing that got me through it.  I already have it in queue for this upcoming tire/tube swap.

How is the shell holding up after you applied epoxy? I noticed that many of my internal screw holes are failing where the plastic is crumbling.  I can only mount the control board with three screws.  The case sides are attached but I can see where some screw holes have either fallen apart or are in the process of doing so.  I am not sure how many more times I can take it apart and get it back together.

Thanks for the kind words :D

The ACM that I have all the videos on is still doing great. After I had tightened the nuts, I sold it, he broke the axle, I toke it back out of guilt, and rebuilt it into an ACM2. The epoxy did not hold up. I ended up fabricating metal brackets which were secured to solid areas of the shell with bolts. Everything is holding.

You have to be prepared to go ghetto to keep the shell together. For instance, you could remove the broken post(s) and replace them with a block of wood (easy for me to fabricate because I'm a woodworker) screwed/bolted to the shell, and then screw into that (buy #4 wood screws). For the outer shell screws, you can drill out both rotten posts and then secure the sell halves together with threaded rod and washers and nuts. I've done that on my Monster and I've see other people do it with various wheels.

Good luck.

Archived