Changing tires

Rywokast

Silicone on rubber controversy has been - and seemingly will be - going on forever. Several manufacturers (including BMW iirc) sell silicone based conditioners for car door seals and other (actual) rubber parts. My search for actual evidence on wether silicone and rubber are cool together or not has turned unfruitful every time.

Which on the other hand proves that at least silicone should not dramatically shorten the lifetime of the rubber, as that would’ve surely ended such controversy decades ago.

I wonder if the common rubber and/or silicone compositions have changed a bit over the years, being a better or worse match today than they were earlier on?

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 10/16/2021 at 3:41 PM, Paul A said:

How to change an EUC tyre

Three minute video, real time, no edits, by a King Song factory floor technician that does it for a living everyday, not some random amateur youtuber.

The reasons sharp metallic tire levers like that are not a good idea for an EUC, is that you’d really have to know what you’re doing in order not to:

- slice and puncture the tube while taking the tire out,

- scrape the rim,

- pinch and puncture the tube while putting the tire back on.

Each of the above are pretty common issues people are having when replacing the tubes on their EUCs.

I only use short, stubby, plastic bicycle tire spoons with a steel core. Removing regular EUC tires of any size, or even stiff and tight motorcycle tires on 16” and 18” EUCs has never been a problem with these and a proper technique. And you can’t puncture the tube if you wanted to.

Edited by mrelwood