Inmotion V5f+ died!

codersarepeople

Despite it's low speed, the v5f+ has been my favorite wheel. Yesterday, mine turned two years old, and today it died.

I haven't ever had any issues with it besides the foot pedals sometimes falling down when stowed. Today I rode it in light rain maybe 1/2 mile and had no issues. When I went to leave work 8 hours later, it wouldn't turn on. I can plug it in and the charger indicates it's charging but the LEDs on the euc don't light up.

What should I do? Any guesses as to what it might be?

2 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

Despite it's low speed, the v5f+ has been my favorite wheel. Yesterday, mine turned two years old, and today it died.

In EU all consumer electronics have 2 year warranty by law. So this is classic behavior:rolleyes:

Maybe the board is dead? Maybe the power button got disconnected somehow? Can you open it and have a look?

I don't think it's the power button since the LEDs don't light up when I plug it in.

I'll try opening it up tomorrow if it still isn't working. I hope it's not the board because Jason doesn't have any more on ewheels anyways.

I'll post back tomorrow, but not really sure what I should be looking for to test the board.

Update! I left the unit in my office last night. This morning, I went to check on it again and before I could do anything, it sprang to life. I could ride it! But I couldn't turn it off, or connect to it via the app! I could let it spin out and it would make the sounds like it was turning off, but it wouldn't actually turn off. So I decided to see what would happen if I charged it; now it's still stuck on, but won't balance anymore.

I tried to open it up today to see what happened. Unfortunately, I can't get either pedal off. I can remove the threaded ends but both rods are siezed in the pedal holder. I tried hammering it out, but no luck.

Any advice to remove the pedals? My next step is to Dremel off the flaps at the bottom of the sidings.

In other news, I didn't see any signs of water ingress, but the fact that I was able to ride it just fine for a bit made me doubt that it was a bad board...

I have no experience with Inmotions, but these unresponsive wheels have happened before. Pretty sure in the end the unpredictable behavior is a dying board. I'd assume that for safety alone, unless you can find a definite cause that isn't the board.

Don't the IMs have an extra screw that holds the pedal bolt in place on the underside of the pedal bracket?

20 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

I tried to open it up today to see what happened. Unfortunately, I can't get either pedal off. I can remove the threaded ends but both rods are siezed in the pedal holder. I tried hammering it out, but no luck.

Any advice to remove the pedals? My next step is to Dremel off the flaps at the bottom of the sidings.

In other news, I didn't see any signs of water ingress, but the fact that I was able to ride it just fine for a bit made me doubt that it was a bad board...

Did you remove the grub screw in the middle of each pedal shaft, underneath the pedals?  I'm pretty sure Inmotion has them, it's three grub screws per pedal on my ninebots.  Different size for the middle one also.

• 3 months later...

Archived